Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

One parent's definition of sick is different than another's. If we stayed home whenever my kids were sick to some other parents' definition, we'd never leave the house.

Stomach bug is where I draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I guess on the invitation you could put a simple sentence "If your child is sick, please refrain from bringing her/him to the party".

Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
One parent's definition of sick is different than another's. If we stayed home whenever my kids were sick to some other parents' definition, we'd never leave the house.

School and day care exclusion rules are all about the same. 24 hours fever free, rash free, vommit and diarrhea free, or 24 hours on antibiotics. Those are the guidelines that should be used pretty much everywhere.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont see it and i wouldnt send my kids and i WOULD have a problem if you approached me about it.
Curious, I know you wont send your sick kid as you said.. But let's assume that you/or any parent did and the host approached you. Are you saying that you would have a problem with that?

Just trying to understand whats wrong with the host asking you? Just honestly curious

Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The best way is if the kid throws up then call an ambulance, and then call the parents after to go to the hospital to see the child ..... Parents will learn the hard way

Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

I have to agree to some extent. I know some people who keep their kid home when they even have a stuffy nose. My kids have to be actually sick to stay home...like really actually not feel well to stay home from school. My son had cough variant asthma, so after a bug, he could sound like he was coughing up a lung for a month or longer after a cold. Some people might think he is sick, but it is just how he was. So some parents might think he was sick...but I cant keep him home months out of the year.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Yup, it is the " all about me "scenario. Unfortunately it's the host that is suffering from that ailment. My kids and their playmates often boost their immune system by being subjected to certain conditions.
Reminds me of the sterilization fanatics.. where the kids were constantly kept in a sterile environment. They would get the nastiest results when a cold hit them...they hadn't built up a resistance.

Sure keep them away when it's a community condition..measles..chicken pox ..or west Nile virus...but a cold ...?

I side with being mindful of the child's vitals or reactions..( vomiting,dehydration,diarrhea)..of which medical provisions should warrant home care...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 PM

550 posts, read 637,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
I actually have sort of an opposite pet peeve about food at birthday parties. My children are well fed and we can afford whatever food we need. However, if a parent decides to schedule their kid's birthday party at lunch time, the least I expect of them is to feed the kids. We went for a series of birthday parties earlier this year for my kid's preschool class mates.. that we all scheduled for 2-3 hour blocks between 11-3. And that only offered juice box, individual pack goldfish crackers, fruit snack and cake.. went as far as having just one juice box power child and no water to be seen anywhere. It was like one parent did it and then the next parent 2 weeks later did the same and the next parent then someone broke the B.S and actually has pizza for the kids at the next party.

My thing is this, pizza is cheap.. I would rather you schedule your party earlier or later in the day if you will not feed the kids.. and juice box and fruit snack is not food. I considered having the kids eat lunch before the party but it's often too early and for say an 11am party, we are leaving wherever we were before around 10;30 and my kids are just not used to eating lunch at that time.

So what we do not is make sure, they get some snacks before hand and I also pack some snacks with me. It just bugs me especially when the birthday venues are usually the reigning kids activity location that are usually quite expensive. So you spend money on the location then you have 20 or so super cranky and hungry kids at the party. I just don't get it. So for my kids parties, I make sure to have enough food for kids and parents (even though I am okay with hosts not providing food for parents)

One thing I know for sure is to NEVER head out to a party hungry. It's one of those old fashioned rules my Grandmother taught me a million years ago. There have been a couple of kid's birthday parties where the host did not explicitly say on the invite "Join us for cake and ice cream" or where they fed the kids but did not buy enough water, juice, pizza, or anything for the parents to have a bite over a 3 hour period (offer water, at the very least). Luckily, we don't know too many families like that!

You only have to make me hangry once...

Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I think part of the problem is people don't understand how you contract certain illnesses, or even at their basis, what those illnesses even are. When I was a college student working my part time job a high school worker showed up talking about how her stepdad's family came over their house on Christmas and someone was throwing up and having diarrhea. They were using the only bathroom the majority of the holiday. She told me they got sick "from the cold." I was like uhh no it's either a virus or food poisoning, which is often a bacteria. She actually thought they were vomiting and got sick because it was cold outside. Or there will be people who were vomiting all day and still went out and did things, assuming it was just something they ate, harmless, when it could be a contagious virus they then may have spread everywhere through the course of the day.

People will also frequently say they had "the flu" for a few days but are better now - and during those three days they were in school or at work functioning quite normally. Uh no you most likely had a cold. Had you had the flu probably would have been bedridden and sick for a week. People are just very uneducated when it comes to getting sick and I think they just don't realize what is even going on a lot of the time, and what they have and why they're sick. I think this explains why parents may send their sick kids out like normal and let them interact - maybe they think their kid was puking because he ate too much the night before rather than assume he maybe sick and contagious. It sucks, I agree, but what can you do? People are stupid.

On my part time job note, it was an ice cream place. We once got a complaint that someone's kid had gotten sick overnight after going out to dinner then eating our soft serve ice cream. They told us the ice cream was "bad." Well, it wasn't, because the mix was used well before its sell by date and no one else complained they got sick from it - including us workers who would usually eat some throughout the shift (at least one of us would have a little something at work). These people just assumed our ice cream made their kid sick - didn't assume it was his dinner, didn't assume it was viral, nope just that it was us because it was "the last thing he ate before he got sick."

As for what to do with a sick guest at a bday party, if it was my kid's party I would ask that kid to leave in most situations. Maybe not for what seems like a minor cold, but for vomiting or severe coughing, sure.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
My daughter complains about this happening at family parties on her DH's side (he has a very large family). There is inevitably at least one of the many young cousins dragged to the get together sick, and gives whatever he or she has to everyone. The kid will spend the evening lying on the couch, nose running like a faucet, listless...that is, until they throw up. Talk about clearing out the house fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting