Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 PM

189 posts, read 176,495 times

Advertisements

I think these posts are on to something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OP, look at it this way, if you and hubby could just sit around all day doing nothing, having someone do the cooking and all of the chores and you have free rent and utilities, wouldn't the two of you want to do that, too? Heck, I think most people would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Of course, from the description of their daughter, I really doubt that she is the type that would stick around once she has to do the actual work of caregiving.

There has been thread after thread on the caregiver forum where the coddled, spoiled, enabled child leaves as soon as they are actually needed by their elderly parents. These threads are sometimes written by the disappointed & heart broken parents, but usually by the responsible sibling that needs to step up financially, emotionally and in every other way after the dead beat sibling has "bleed their parent" dry and then disappears at the first sign that the parent might need them.
Conclusion:
Make it a condition of her staying with you that she is now the cook and the maid. You can try to be sneaky about it and just keep giving her chores to do until she's had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:00 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
May I offer a different approach.

I personally identify with not fairing well with authority. So thru career counseling... I got a job that allows me limited exposure to authority so I can actually produce the work required. Rather a win win when authority isn't cracking the whip and I get to be paid for the tasks. Maybe your daughter has the skills and needs a job that is more in tune to self sufficient duties.

I respect business methods ...I do not respect someone simply because of a title behind the name. Just as I have to gain trust and regard...so do they. It's a two way street in the adult world.

So far it's what creates amicable work environment. Mutual regard.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:13 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That's what unemployment is for. If you quit, you probably won't get it, and if you are fired for "some" causes, yes, your employer can contest it. But people get fired every single day, and are absolutely entitled to unemployment.
So correct. If you can't collect unemployment if fired, then what is unemployment for?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Leo and Janet Stacey kicked their daughter out. She came back the next week with her boyfriend and killed them both.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Depends on your state. In Texas if you're fired for cause you don't get unemployment.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfragoliles View Post
No, she has been fired several other times. She got fired from 3 as a teen for example, usually not wanting to do what is asked of her or complaining about her co workers.

You don't get unemployment if you are fired.
Here you get unemployment if you are fired. You don't get it if you quit.

I see, you say that she has been fired much more than a couple times. When she was younger, you mentioned having gotten her therapy...was it for Oppositional Defiant diagnosis? Or any other diagnosis?

You might explore what programs are available to her regarding any diagnosis, perhaps anger management. And any regarding her low income status, perhaps job training employment opportunities.

I am not one that will encourage you to throw her out. At least she has tried to work, and likely needs some anger related counseling and coping skills. Until she just lays around the house not doing anything to help herself I would be supportive. If there are housing programs that she can qualify for, perhaps have her check on these as well. Good luck to you.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Boundaries are what we set to control our own behaviors, not other people.

Instead of you will/will not, or else, it's I will /will not.

For example:

It's not "you will look for a job X hours a day". It's "I will not support anyone who is not working and contributing for more than X" . Your daughter is free to do or not, as she pleases and realize the consequences.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Don't listen to other people's advice and cut her off out of nowhere or ride her too hard. That could be catastrophic. You likely contributed to this behavior for 31 years so you will have to set some rules, communicate, get her commitment and start working on a plan.

Obviously you need to figure out how to keep her sustainably employed. Then you have to work on small successes and building her up into a stand alone person knowing she no longer has a safety net. Might take a year or two. Better than another 31.
Not obvious to me.

Daughter is 31 years old. She alone is responsible for figuring out how to remain employed and responsible for her choices.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wonder how many people really have kicked their adult children out of the house when their child hit a bump (even if life tends to be more bumpy for them then usual)?

I am not sure living withy you is a problem if all the people are happy with he situation. But all adult members contribute to the household, so that is where I would focus.

Your daughter might never "grow up". There are brain and psychological conditions that make that next to impossible. Does she have one? I don't know. I think you can accept her for who she is while not being sucked down into worry and despair.

Only thing any of us really control is our own reaction.

Some rely on a secularized mantra repeated hundreds of times a day, if necessary, adapted from the Lord's Prayer. It is a common invocation of 12 step programs , definitely not limited to alcohol or substance abuse. It is particularly helpful for people prone to co-dependent tendencies:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here you get unemployment if you are fired. You don't get it if you quit.

I see, you say that she has been fired much more than a couple times. When she was younger, you mentioned having gotten her therapy...was it for Oppositional Defiant diagnosis? Or any other diagnosis?

You might explore what programs are available to her regarding any diagnosis, perhaps anger management. And any regarding her low income status, perhaps job training employment opportunities.

I am not one that will encourage you to throw her out. At least she has tried to work, and likely needs some anger related counseling and coping skills. Until she just lays around the house not doing anything to help herself I would be supportive. If there are housing programs that she can qualify for, perhaps have her check on these as well. Good luck to you.
Isn't ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) more of a pre-teenage malady?
Assuming it is even real [rather than just another diagnosis to put kids on meds or just a rebellious defiant kid], it should be over by now with a 31 year old woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting