Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 11:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It is telling. I don't believe that it always means the child was some kind of horrible person.

I really can't imagine any circumstance under which I would disinherit my own child completely. It's like saying they were never my child at all, and I can't say that.
I should have clarified, I think it's more telling regarding the parent than the child---and not in a good way.

I agree, I can't imagine disinheriting my own child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 01:02 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My FIL disinherited my husband because he wouldn't divorce me. Actually, he left him a dollar.

Unfortunately, he forgot to change the beneficiary forms for his life insurance and those superseded the will. He also didn't designate a beneficiary for his state retirement, so it went to my husband as his only child. So my husband still got the money. At least his dad had the satisfaction of thinking he had disinherited my husband.
That's actually pretty funny! Thanks for making me smile

Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

I already told my kids i plan on spending it all before I go.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I should have clarified, I think it's more telling regarding the parent than the child---and not in a good way.

I agree, I can't imagine disinheriting my own child.
My mother wrote me out of her will for a while. One reason why, was her bitterness over my seeing my Dad. My Dad had left her after 30 years of marriage. After their divorce, she told me not to have any more contact with him, but I did. She also didn't like it when I got married and did not like my husband. My mom was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. People with this personality disorder hold big time grudges. Her lawyer talked her into putting me back into her will, he said he believed she had enough assets that he could foresee that I would legally contest the will after her death. She put me back into her will about 6 weeks before she died, but even then she said I didn't deserve to be in her will.

So yes, it takes a very twisted person usually, to write their own child out of their will.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
My mother wrote me out of her will for a while. One reason why, was her bitterness over my seeing my Dad. My Dad had left her after 30 years of marriage. After their divorce, she told me not to have any more contact with him, but I did. She also didn't like it when I got married and did not like my husband. My mom was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. People with this personality disorder hold big time grudges. Her lawyer talked her into putting me back into her will, he said he believed she had enough assets that he could foresee that I would legally contest the will after her death. She put me back into her will about 6 weeks before she died, but even then she said I didn't deserve to be in her will.

So yes, it takes a very twisted person usually, to write their own child out of their will.
So, it's always the parents at fault? Children never grow up to be jerks? Not buying that version.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:12 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So, it's always the parents at fault? Children never grow up to be jerks? Not buying that version.
You reap what you sow.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
It would take a lot more than my kid just "being a jerk" for me to write them out of my will entirely and disinherit them. Also, disinheriting someone can have serious long term consequences, not just emotional but financial, if the will is contested. Think twice before doing this.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You reap what you sow.
I don't suppose that means much to someone who claims the title, Nasty.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You reap what you sow.
So parents are 100% responsible for the way their children turn out? If they abuse drugs, or alcohol, or fall in with a bad group of kids, it falls back on the parents? Why not just hold the parents liable for anything their adult children do then?

I can't believe you really think that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I don't suppose that means much to someone who claims the title, Nasty.
Duh, context is everything. Obviously it went over your head.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
So parents are 100% responsible for the way their children turn out? If they abuse drugs, or alcohol, or fall in with a bad group of kids, it falls back on the parents? Why not just hold the parents liable for anything their adult children do then?

I can't believe you really think that makes sense.

Duh, context is everything. Obviously it went over your head.
I don't think anyone here really gives a shart what you believe or do with your money, have a nice evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting