Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
When I was a kid I was told over and over that I would like tomatoes (raw) and also grapes in my tuna or chicken salad. I was told with absolute authority. So here I am almost 40 and the other day I was ordering lunch. I almost order the chicken salad with grapes but talk myself out of it...of course I like grapes in said salad, but just not now. So I order a turkey sandwich with the sliced tomatoes. I take one bite and remove the tomatoes. And it hits me...here I am a full grown adult and I still don't like grapes in salad *or* raw tomatoes in any form...but I didn't realize it because I was sure I would like them as adults.

I hated being tickled. Mayo. Mustard. Pickles. Vinegar. Bell peppers. Tomatoes. Ill fitting clothes. Cold mornings at the bus stop. Being teased. Throwing up. Dirty clothes.
I love this post so much. The only way I like raw tomatoes now is in a Caprese salad, and I only discovered that in the last ten years and I'm 51 now. I have to have the perfect ratio, however, of the tomato with mozzarella. I always think I should like them in a burger or sandwich, I end up taking them out every time. Dadgummit, we're adults and we're allowed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 03:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
School.

Getting up early for school.

Homework.

Being assigned to wash the dishes. Siblings and I were supposed to do dinner dishes for two weeks each, then switch off. They often didn't do theirs so I had to. The more I complained the more I got assigned it until it became my permanent job. Still have bad dreams about the "so unfair!"- ness of it all.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
That my mom rarely attended things for me. When she did, she came how she wanted and acted rudely. Even mandatory things like say report cards. When something came up for her, like say she invited someone over for dinner, I had to be well dressed and behaved.

Not being able to get up early on holidays. Like I remember being 7 years old and my uncle's wife talking to my mom and saying it would be less to go work on Christmas with all the work and getting up early. My mom looking at me and say "Eevee knows better than to get up early. She KNOWS I wake up early every day". Really not being allowed to bother my mom in anyway. I'll never forget I had a toy telephone and it made noise and lit up. It wasn't loud at all. My mom saying "Turn that sh it off! IT'S GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!!!" I did. Five minutes later, blasting her new stereo on a million didn't give her a headache.

Summer break. I never really got to do any thing fun. When I was a teen, I was working.

Doing errands for the teacher. I remember when I was in elementary school everyone would fight over who got to bring things to the office or another room for the teacher. Not me. Seemed like a lot of work.

Field trips. It was always to the same places.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Getting up early for school - never been a morning person.

Sauce on meat like curries etc. I would spend half the meal carefully scraping every bit of sauce off the meat before I'd eat it. I like sauce these days though (but not curry, still hate curry)

My dad doing the assemblies in my school, always so embarrassing!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I love this post so much. The only way I like raw tomatoes now is in a Caprese salad, and I only discovered that in the last ten years and I'm 51 now. I have to have the perfect ratio, however, of the tomato with mozzarella. I always think I should like them in a burger or sandwich, I end up taking them out every time. Dadgummit, we're adults and we're allowed!
Hey I like Caprese salad too. I think the balsamic vinegar changed their texture a little bit.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Canned peas. Other than that, it was all good.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-29-2016 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
I can't actually remember 'hating' anything as a child, even though I can say that liver was not my favorite meal. Hate is such a strong word .. I perhaps disliked a number of things but they were generally transient in nature. For instance, I certainly was not 'fond' of my father 'lecturing me' (sometimes for hours) but it was more or less forgotten with a day or two.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Having to clean my room?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:35 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
A few things which I hated as a teen:

- when relatives would get me clothes as a Christmas or birthday present. Reason being that most of the time, they'd either get the wrong size, or it just wasn't my taste. (I remember one birthday, my Aunt Myrtle got me a shirt that looked like something Steve from "Blues Clues" would wear.)

- having to listen to my older relatives make really ignorant and snarky comments about things I liked, and not being "allowed" to say anything back.

-

Old 10-29-2016, 02:07 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Plooks on my brow and round my chin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting