Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times

Advertisements

I work in a middle school and many have smart phones, many do not. They are to keep them turned off, but in my class I try to use them to show them how to make the most of the tech they are so attached to. Ex. Kahootit.com (other teachers let them use their sp's to take the quizzes, but I let them use it to CREATE the quizzes). I also have encouraged them to photograph an assignment or other text written on the board, photograph pages in a book it there aren't enough books for them to take home; use online dictionaries, and lots more. The possibilities are endless. As long as they follow rules about their use...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times
I have no idea about most kids- but I do know the school bus stop for the middle school is right in front of my house and if I happen to look outside when it stops to drop the kids off every single one of them walks down the bus steps looking at their phone- they don't even look up to say goodby to each other- they just go their separate ways staring at the phone.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:29 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I have no idea about most kids- but I do know the school bus stop for the middle school is right in front of my house and if I happen to look outside when it stops to drop the kids off every single one of them walks down the bus steps looking at their phone- they don't even look up to say goodby to each other- they just go their separate ways staring at the phone.
Generations of robots now. The human act of interacting has become a loss art. It really is very sad.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Because of ONE incident where she had to wait 45 minutes, she suddenly "needs" to have a phone? She wasn't in any danger, she wasn't urgently needed anywhere else. So she waited. What's the big deal? Does she imagine she's never going to have to wait in life? If she was let out early, she probably could have sat outside placidly reading one of the books she was probably carrying, maybe doing homework. And I can't help wondering how isolated the school was. She could have walked two miles in that time. Was there really no shop nearby where she could have walked to use a phone?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:12 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Are they supposed to say good-bye when getting off the bus, even if they're not friends? I mean, I remember riding the bus when I was in grade school, and wasn't friends with everyone on the bus. Some of my friends weren't on my bus. And guess what we did? We went our separate ways, unless there were kids who lived in my area, kids I wasn't necessarily friends with.

This is the digital age. Even adults are connected, eyes glued to their mobile devices. And? What makes people think that without such devices folks would interact with random strangers more? I get the importance of interacting with people in your company and not being so absorbed in one's phone in intimate social situations, but in everyday settings? Eh. I can't muster up the outrage. I was definitely "connected" to my phone while I waited for my oldest at the salon, but I also engaged in conversation with her stylist and other patrons. My oldest also knows that she doesn't need to bring her phone everywhere she goes. When she's out with grandparents she leaves it home.

Some folks understand moderation and when to disconnect.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hmmm, I'm 60 and don't have a smart phone.
LOL, I am 65 and I just traded in my Nokia flip phone for a iPhone 5s. BTW, I got the flip phone when I was 58. LOL

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Forgetting for a minute all the pro and con smart phone arguments, what's wrong with just making your kid happy? A smart phone isn't outside the realm of reasonable gifts for a middle or high schooler and if the kiddo wants one because it's cool and fun and you can afford it, why not?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I'm about to turn 55. For all the people in my age group who are saying "a flip phone is good enough for me so it's good enough for everyone," did you have a TV as a kid? Color or black and white? Do you remember when cable TV became available? Did you want it?

Young people always want the fun tech stuff and it's especially a big deal when everyone else is getting it. I remember when I first learned what HBO was and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. When it finally made it to our Podunk city I was thrilled. No need to begrudge a kid that if you can afford it.

Last edited by Marlow; 12-21-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 PM

634 posts, read 708,958 times
Op,

I don't know if you know this, but there are dumb phones that are not flip phones. They have a screen and some minimal social network features. They are actually pretty cool looking. This might be a good compromise.

Btw, I would say that in suburbia most kids have smartphones but no, teachers don't require them. I mean, has your daughter's grades in school suffered because she didn't have a smartphone?

I understand your reluctance at age 14.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Maybe they said goodbye on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting