Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't find a lot of these to be particularly unique or odd, especially the ones I bolded. I certainly wouldn't group Alice, Sam, Max, or Robert in the same category as Jessamine or Boudica!
Same here. Many of those names are quite lovely IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
Anything that the average person cannot pronounce. School, Jobs, almost every Phone Call... too many weird pronunciations and always having to correct. Now I just go with it...Sherry Shannon Shelly Shawna [none of which it is]. At least my last name is common and simple.
I have a very basic, old fashioned name. Not many letters. People apparently still can not pronounce nor read my name correctly. It baffles me.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Interesting. Around here, names like Grace, Andrew, Caroline, Henry, Elizabeth, Margaret, etc. are ubiquitous among the white, affluent, country club going set. You don't start seeing names like Brayden or Laikyn until you get into the working class/less affluent areas.

That said, I'm in the Midwest so maybe there's a difference between NorCal affluent and Midwest affluent, but I still just have a hard time picturing kids from high SES families named Brynlee or Jaxon.
I'm in Northeast Pa. We are firmly lower/working class in this area overall. My sons go to school with kids whose names derive from the "country club set." I quite like those old names.

We do have a lot of the Aidens, Braydons, Paytons, etc. too. But I'd say its about evenly split between the modern and the classic. All of my sons' friends have very basic, old fashioned names. This characteristic goes across gender and racial lines. Hmmm...I never really thought about this before. Now I'm wondering why. LOL

Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 AM

After reading through most of this thread, I've come to one conclusion: You can't please everyone. LOL So, when you are naming your babies, give them a name you like (or love) and to hell with what everyone thinks.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
When you're affluent you can afford to be gender-bending or "edgy" in the area of names. This is different from creative or unique names that exist in microcultures as a way of reclaiming or drawing inspiration from a distant, but still-present culture, such as African or "ethnic" names. No doubt our cultures and social circles influence our taste in names. There are other influences, but these are definitely big factors. I definitely think edgy names are a product of current trends in specific socioeconomic groups.

Most minority groups are big on tradition and traditional names within their respective cultures, or they believe firmly in choosing names that allow them to assimilate into white American and UMC culture. It's why we may see Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants that eventually change their name to an "American" name, or choose an "easy" nickname. My kids' Asian friends have names that are considered traditional in their culture.

My mom, Black, would side-eye me for choosing a gender-bending name. She chose a very trendy early 80s name for me that I don't care for, which is why I am changing it. (stopping using it in all but official/legal settings five years ago) And my sister has a trendy/popular early 90s name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Interesting. Around here, names like Grace, Andrew, Caroline, Henry, Elizabeth, Margaret, etc. are ubiquitous among the white, affluent, country club going set. You don't start seeing names like Brayden or Laikyn until you get into the working class/less affluent areas.

That said, I'm in the Midwest so maybe there's a difference between NorCal affluent and Midwest affluent, but I still just have a hard time picturing kids from high SES families named Brynlee or Jaxon.
I worked in a pediatricians' office in metro Denver. Lots of transplants here from everywhere in the country, and we had a large Indian (from India) population as well plus some Chinese and other international patients.

Indian parents tend to give their kids Indian names. Chinese parents give their kids American-English names, but I've heard they also have Chinese names they don't use in general society.

WRT our Caucasian population, most were fairly affluent, and they used the Aiden, Brayden, Caden names a lot. Lots of little Brooklyn, Brynlee, etc, girls in that set, too.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,891 times
There are a lot of names I dislike, but these probably top the list:

Jezebel
Delilah
Samson
Bathsheba
Judas
Damien
Leonard
Christopher

These names I love:

Everly Faith (I chose it years ago, in case I had another girl)
Helen (grandmother's name)
Henry
Beatrice
Libby
Owen
Will
Rowan Avery
Diana Frances (Princess Di)
Charlotte
Bette
Blair
Willa

Last edited by SouthernProper; 09-25-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 AM

175 posts, read 93,809 times
Some bad meaning names such as Satan,Devil,Evil etc,or the profanities(F word,S word,etc)
Here're some normal names I won't call my future children
Ciapalletto
Gianciotto
Nina,I think this name is a bit boring
Ciacco
Nucca
Calandrino
Giovanni,as common as John in English-speaking countries
Andrea,also a too common Italian male name

Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Braden, Jayden, Zayden, Kayden. Hate that they’ve ruined the name Aidan, while all apparently feeling they’re doing something “different.”

Stupid mispellings of last-name-as-first-names like Ryleigh or Kennedee.

You see some really ghastly name ideas on the pregnant mama boards.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,391,128 times
I never liked the name Heather.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:22 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Braden, Jayden, Zayden, Kayden. Hate that they’ve ruined the name Aidan, while all apparently feeling they’re doing something “different.”

Stupid mispellings of last-name-as-first-names like Ryleigh or Kennedee.

You see some really ghastly name ideas on the pregnant mama boards.
Similarly, the names that just add a syllable to Sean and misspell it too yet.

DaShawn Keyshawn LaShawn

C'mon, that's just getting stupid now.

And Madison for a little girl. MADISON.

All because there was a movie about a guy who finds a mermaid and takes her to NYC and she sees a sign for Madison Avenue and decides that's her name.

Then all these people ever since think this is a cute name for a girl. Wut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting