Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM

339 posts, read 148,388 times

Advertisements

A lot of names on posts that are in my family!

My parents gave me a pretty unique name-Evangeline Amelie, serious! Nobody calls me either of those names though. I am Remy~

Last edited by FierceKaia; 12-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 04:27 PM

893 posts, read 510,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceKaia View Post
A lot of names on posts that are in my family!

My parents gave me a pretty unique name-Evangeline Amelie, serious! Nobody calls me either of those names though. I am Remy~
That's a nice name.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I did a search on this thread to see if either of my children's names appeared in it. I was amused to find my daughter's name in the list above. When we were expecting her and settled on the name, we realized that a few Bible thumpers might have issues with it. We are not religious and didn't have any reservations with the name and our happy with the choice. I can't imagine our daughter as anyone else.
I'm assuming your daughter's name is Delilah, because Jezebel and Bathsheba are very rare. It's a strange thought, that a "Bible thumper" (whatever that means) would have "issues" with a child's name. There's basically just one historical Delilah, and I don't consider her a good example--she was a manipulator and betrayed her own husband-- but just because I (or anyone Jewish or Christian or who is very familiar with the story) might think, "Hm, that's not the person I would choose to name my own child after" doesn't mean I would have "issues" with a person named Delilah.

To be honest, I'd probably assume that her parents just heard the name and liked it and either didn't know about the original Delilah or didn't care.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:17 AM

20,640 posts, read 4,418,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Dick
Yes that name is a hard one to hear.

Especially if you are the man "Richard Dick" wanted by the cops!
https://www.hudsonvalley360.com/arti...used-auto-scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Jonathan, john is ok though
It all depends on the last name it's going to be attached to.

Do you really want your kid named John Johnson, John Boyd, John Doe, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Lucifer or Gozer
Both sound like perfect names for future lawyers to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've known a few people whose parents started calling them by their middle name as a baby/young child because they decided they liked the middle name better.
That is what everyone is forgetting about with these name. It's not just the first name, but the middle name needs to be right.

IE: Stephanie is a nice name. Alice is a nice middle name. But add them to the last name Geralds, then
you have some trouble. S A G

If her brother got named Fred Andrew, then he'd be F A G
or Dominic Oliver, then he'd be D O G

Just think more carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Herman
What's wrong with that name? If the guy is 6'5", you call him what he tells you to call him.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm assuming your daughter's name is Delilah, because Jezebel and Bathsheba are very rare. It's a strange thought, that a "Bible thumper" (whatever that means) would have "issues" with a child's name. There's basically just one historical Delilah, and I don't consider her a good example--she was a manipulator and betrayed her own husband-- but just because I (or anyone Jewish or Christian or who is very familiar with the story) might think, "Hm, that's not the person I would choose to name my own child after" doesn't mean I would have "issues" with a person named Delilah.

To be honest, I'd probably assume that her parents just heard the name and liked it and either didn't know about the original Delilah or didn't care.
C’mon, you don’t think we have a little Bathsheba running around?

When we discussed names for our daughter we were aware of the Bible story. Because of this we did actually think quite a bit about it, and we did have concerns that some people may raise an eyebrow about the name die to its association with that story. We ultimately decided this was probably unfounded. We chose the name because we thought it was pretty, wasn’t “made upâ€, and because it isn’t a super common choice.

Also, there are three songs I know of with that name in the title, my personal favorite being the Chuck Berry song. My wife’s name is also the title of a Chuck Berry song. Maybe someday our daughter can continue that “tradition†lol

Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Jughead

Old 12-07-2019, 12:30 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
My mom chose my first name because she hated how everyone during her childhood turned her first name (Elizabeth) into the nickname "Lizzie." (This was in the early 1900s btw) This made me super aware that some children may be fine with their actual name but hate the nickname version. Take "William" for example: he could end up being Bill, Billy (which I personally dislike because it calls to mind a goat), Will, Wills, or Willy. Kids at school will usually end up slapping a nickname on everyone regardless of what their family calls them at home, unfortunately. My mom's name would never be turned into Lizzie nowadays but in the 1940s/50s it'd have been Betty (or possibly Liz after Liz Taylor) while nowadays it'd probably be Beth. My dad was William but at 6'3" he'd have disabused anyone who called him "Willy" of that notion really quick, LOL. He was Billy to my grandmother but Bill to everyone else.

I was given a nickname-proof first name deliberately because of my mom's negative experience, LOL.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,336,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
A couple of years ago, my (then 17-year old) kiddo was late for curfew and said he was hanging out with his buddy Gary. I didn't believe him then, and I told him, in a quote, that "Nobody under 50 is named Gary." Well, this kid was. Named after a family member, I believe.

At the time, I thought my kiddo invoked the name of SpongeBob's pet snail, hoping to buy some time. But this kid really is named Gary, and he's under 20 years old. Go figure.

I met a young man named Gary and I asked him if he was named after his father. His response "no, I was named after my grandfather". The same seems to be true for any Ronnie, Donnie, Larry and Ricky. There's no 'Dick' who is under 70.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Parents should really give more thought to the combination of first AND last name. I had a friend in high school whose last name was Beach and her parents chose to name her Sandra. The poor girl was doomed to be called "Sandy Beach" throughout her entire school career, even though she told every teacher she ever had that her first name was supposed to be pronounced "SOHN-dra".

Sometimes parents just. don't. think. when it comes to naming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If Sandy's parents had wanted her name to be pronounced "SOHN-dra," they should have spelled it "Sondra." But they spelled it "Sandra," which is pronounced "SAN-dra." You're right. Sometimes, parents just don't think.
It could be that parents thought it was funny (I have met my fair share of parents who pick out names like that because they are amused by them) and that the daughter decided to tell people it was pronounced "sohn-dra" to try to avoid the Sandy connection. I have several friends who changed the pronunciations of their names because they liked something else better.

I knew a Thomas Thomas once. I never quite understood that. I have known some really other original names and some not-so-original but unusual names (including Abcde- "ab-sitty," a name often quoted as an urban legend, but it's actually the name of several kids in Hawai'i and a google search can show that).

People get really angsty about names.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Hipster trend? Using family surnames as first names has been around since Virginia was a colony.
Yes it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting