Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to1onto View Post
How is that fair? It's my house, not his. I'm the one paying the bills. It's my choice as to who gets to live there or not, just like you get to choose who lives or doesn't live in your house. It was nice enough of me to let him stay with me for a few months. He's 23, he should be supporting himself in his own place. How many 23-year-olds live with Mommy? I was stupid for even thinking of letting him live with me.
Wow you are a real doozie of a parent

He didn't even live you that long, he's been away at College

You need help

Poor kid

Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "such a thing"? You think I'm unreasonable for wanting a 23-year-old man not to live off me like a little boy? Ask anyone who was kids over the age of 22 if they still want their kids living with them. We'll always love our kids more than anything but our kids are going to outlive us. That's why it's important for our kids to become self-sufficient. And you know what else? I'm getting to be an old woman(I'm 53), which means I'm not going to be around much longer and so I want to enjoy a relaxing life while I can.
I feel so sorry for him having you as his parent

When you are old, expect no different. Shame on you

Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Wow you are a real doozie of a parent

He didn't even live you that long, he's been away at College

You need help

Poor kid
That post you quoted right there makes me believe this thread isn't for real. I can't imagine any parent possibly writing that sort of post, but then again, there plenty of bad parents out there, so it wouldn't shock me either way.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Tell him to join the military! Free room and board!!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
To the OP, I can't believe the way people are bashing you. I'm sorry. I can't imagine having still been living with my parents at 23... after having been an adult for half a decade. The people bashing you are a bunch of enablers.

I think it's completely ridiculous that a 23 year old man would be unwilling or unable to move out. He needs to "man-up" and figure his life out. He needs to work 2 or 3 jobs, or seriously join the military, or go to grad school, or get roommates, or live in a low rent community, but he needs to get out on his own so he can learn to budget.

Don't let them make you feel like a bad parent for expecting your ADULT man-child to act like an adult.

OP, you go right on with your bad self!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
How is that fair? It's my house, not his. I'm the one paying the bills. It's my choice as to who gets to live there or not, just like you get to choose who lives or doesn't live in your house. It was nice enough of me to let him stay with me for a few months. He's 23, he should be supporting himself in his own place. How many 23-year-olds live with Mommy? I was stupid for even thinking of letting him live with me.
Seriously? Tons. I didn't move out until I was 23, and I know many others that left the nest later.
Work out a schedule with him so he can work towards a goal of getting a better paying job, finding roomates, and saving a bit of money. I think 2 months notice is a bit unfair.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
To the OP, I can't believe the way people are bashing you. I'm sorry. I can't imagine having still been living with my parents at 23... after having been an adult for half a decade. The people bashing you are a bunch of enablers.

I think it's completely ridiculous that a 23 year old man would be unwilling or unable to move out. He needs to "man-up" and figure his life out. He needs to work 2 or 3 jobs, or seriously join the military, or go to grad school, or get roommates, or live in a low rent community, but he needs to get out on his own so he can learn to budget.

Don't let them make you feel like a bad parent for expecting your ADULT man-child to act like an adult.

In this day and age with the economy and job market the way it is, plenty of people around that age are living at home (even if they don't really want to). Some around that age are still going to college/school. Are they all enablers? I guess in your mind, they are. Very ignorant argument.

And guess what? Some actually enjoy living with their parents, and their parents don't mind it! Some don't immediately move out when they turn 18.

I'm in my mid 20's, and just finishing up my last semester of school (1 class left), but I have set a goal about moving out this year (or at least sometime early next year). I've been looking for a full-time job (so can start saving) and both my parents support me in whatever I decide to do. I could stay at their house for as long as I want to (as long as I'm either working or going to school), or move out if I wanted to.

We're also bashing her for the way she's going about it. She's essentially trying to kick him out of the house after saying he could stay as long as he wanted. There's a difference. At least work out an actual and realistic time table.

Let me guess, you're probably in your 40's-50's? Mid to late 30's at best. Seems like the majority of people agreeing with the OP are around that age.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 01-31-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

I agree.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:47 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
More mindless and nonsensical millennial bashing I see...

You're right, he doesn't need to understand anything, but his Mom better not ever ask him for a favor in return.

And you act as if it's THAT easy to just find a place in 2 weeks. Will he even be able to find anything with his current finances (especially since she said he barely makes enough)? Seems his Mom just wants him out without any regard to his finances.

At the very least, OP, give him at least 6 months to a year to get his finances in order and save up if you really want him gone. 2 weeks is completely ridiculous, and especially being blindsided with what you told him.
The thing I find the most funny about the millennial bashing is that some of these people act like a 23 year old living at home is only something that's been common for the last 10-15 years or so. I don't really believe that's the case. It is much more common than back in the 50's or 60's for sure, but I don't think it's something that was uncommon in the 80's or 90's at all. Like I said, my grandparents lived with my grandfather's parents for the first 1.5 years that they were married, back in 1958-1958. They were 19-21 at the time. Then they moved into a one bedroom apartment, which was $80 bucks a month back in 1959! That's $667 bucks in 2016 dollars, according to this inflation calculator site that I use. Try finding a one bedroom in that same neighborhood for $667 bucks a month today, you can't! That same apartment building is still there and almost 100 years old, and I bet they're going for $1050-$1100 a month now. A couple of these clowns probably lived with their parent(s) or grandparents until they were early 20's too, but I bet they'll get on here and claim they were out 2 days after they graduated high school.

Even my first apartment back in 2006 was $1050-$1075 a month or something like that? When I moved out 3 years later, I was paying like $1150 or something. I think I would have had to pay close to $1200 a month if I signed on for another year lease. I saw online that they were now going for $1450 a month. Nice building, in a central location and everything in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. 6000-700 square feet. Just a lot of money up there. I was 23 when I first moved out into my own place and I was very thankful my grandparents let me live with them for 4 years before that. It was the only way I came out with money for first month's rent and security and furniture for my new place. And I DID pay rent to them for letting my stay with them all those years. Good thing I didn't have a car payment or anything though, as I would not have been able to afford it. North Jersey is very high priced, as you probably know with New York, which is even more priced than that. My friend pays $1800 a month for 750 square foot one bedroom in Long Island City. He don't even get a parking space off street in his building, you have to park on the side of the street and might have to walk for blocks. Lucky for him, he doesn't drive.

I probably would have stayed with my grandparents for another year or two, if they weren't moving over 1000 miles away. I couldn't move back in with my mom, because she had moved about 60-75 minutes away and I couldn't commute that far to work every day. It wouldn't have been worth it. And I didn't get along with her boyfriend when being around him for more than a few days at a time. I was welcome to move back in, but it wasn't happening. I wouldn't follow my grandparents, as I had a serious girlfriend and a decent job and a life back in Jersey. Eventually I left, but not for another 5 years.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I guess a lot of us parents are enablers:

40 percent of young americans living with parents, relatives - CBS News

I would like to know how much the OP's son carries in student loans. And whether or not she helped with college expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.