Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times

Advertisements

When I was 12 I cooked my first, full, entire holiday meal. Including cleaning the turkey, taking it out of the oven and doing all the sides. So I am pretty sure by 10 I had several things I could cook. I honestly, don't remember being dependent on my mother for meals at that age. I mean, it might have been simple, but I am sure I could cook several things.

My kids are 10 and 11 and cant hardly cook a thing. SO far they can:
Warm up chicken nuggets in the microwave
Make microwave popcorn
toast

That is it...at least that I can think of.

My son (11) can make a cake from a mix (or brownies) without help but wants me to take it out of the oven. He enjoys reading the directions and doing it himself.

When I try to get them involved in cooking, they are afraid of burning themselves or cutting themselves. Part of it is I think I do worry about them and it passes it on to them. They also saw me cut my self very badly when they were early elementary age and it changed how they acted around the kitchen for a long time (I was ok, just tons of blood and a couple dozen stitches)

So I was thinking of ideas of how to help them become more independent in the kitchen and things a kid 10-11 y "should" be able to prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Try getting some kids cookbooks. There are a lot of them, but the funny ones are best. Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes is one my kids like. Another one is Kids Cooking: A Very Slightly Messy Manual.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
My girls are 8 1/2 and almost 11. They really don't cook for themselves yet, but I have been trying to get them involved every time I make a meal. They like to help and I encourage them to try themselves such as cracking eggs, measuring water, mixing, etc. They do get their own drinks. They can pour water, etc. I also have them help with making their lunches. I think getting them involved and showing them what to do and what not to do so they don't get hurt.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,963,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
When I was 12 I cooked my first, full, entire holiday meal. Including cleaning the turkey, taking it out of the oven and doing all the sides. So I am pretty sure by 10 I had several things I could cook. I honestly, don't remember being dependent on my mother for meals at that age. I mean, it might have been simple, but I am sure I could cook several things.

Make microwave popcorn
toast

My son (11) can make a cake from a mix (or brownies) without help but wants me to take it out of the oven. He enjoys reading the directions and doing it himself.

When I try to get them involved in cooking, they are afraid of burning themselves or cutting themselves. Part of it is I think I do worry about them and it passes it on to them. They also saw me cut my self very badly when they were early elementary age and it changed how they acted around the kitchen for a long time (I was ok, just tons of blood and a couple dozen stitches)

So I was thinking of ideas of how to help them become more independent in the kitchen and things a kid 10-11 y "should" be able to prepare.
There are a couple of places local that have summer camps for cooking for kids. See if you can find any in your area. Our local Y is doing Iron Chef week this year and I plan to sign my 8 and 9 year olds up for it.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
My kids always enjoyed doing a 'restaurant night', where they plan the entire thing, usually for a special occasion for mom or dad.
They used a kids cookbook, planned the meal, went shopping with me where we picked up all the needed ingredients (great time for some math lessons there too, lol), colored 'menus', set the table, cooked the meal and played the parts of chef (with lots of help and supervision from mom or dad) and waitstaff.
If you're the type of parent who pays for chores then you can also let the kids set menu prices, and let them experience the reward$ of a job well done.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
There are a couple of places local that have summer camps for cooking for kids. See if you can find any in your area. Our local Y is doing Iron Chef week this year and I plan to sign my 8 and 9 year olds up for it.
Our local YMCA used to have once a week cooking classes for elementary age children. I believe that beginners were kindergarten and 1st grade, and then 2nd/3rd grade and the oldest group was 4th/5th grade.

They had really cute names for classes and they primarily made snacks and treats that they would enjoy eating and built up to making full bag lunches suitable for school and side dishes for family meals.

The children that I have known who were most interested in cooking started out as preschoolers helping Mom & Dad in the kitchen or making their own sandwiches, preparing their own breakfast cereal, buttering their own toast or pancakes. It became almost second nature to help make the meals for their family as they became older.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:

Make microwave popcorn
toast

That cut you had sounds like it might be making them apprehensive about the kitchen. Maybe you can try some fun recipes first that don't require knives. And also make it fun for them and get them involved. Let them plan a meal or just find out what they would like to make.

Here are some tools for kids:
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/t...-kitchen-tools

Make sure you have mitts and gloves that fit them. Get a fun apron.

Let them use a mixer, a whisk or hand egg beaters are fun. See if they want to make something…let them plan it. They may be a little nervous with the cutting, maybe get a mini chopper for them to use, but they can safely do many other things in the kitchen.

Some fun and easy things to make would be pretzels, homemade bread, meatballs, tacos, smoothies, pudding cups, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, lasagna is easy and fun if you use some jarred sauce with them.

Let them look through a kids cookbook and see if any recipe sparks them. There are a lot at the library. Here are some from Amazon to red reviews and then you can check your library….or just order one
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...oks/2655476011

Good luck.

Last edited by ylisa7; 02-21-2017 at 05:42 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Let them watch kids baking and cooking shows. My kids love Master Chef Jr. and Kids Baking Championship. There are also loads of videos on Youtube.

Let them help prep and cook of course but also let them plate and cut their own food. Let them cut cakes, let them cut up steaks, etc. etc. It doesn't have to be a grand gesture. Getting comfortable with knives simply comes with practice.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
Do you have any kids cooking places like lilchef near you? They have camps and birthday parties and parents' night out programs where kids learn to cook. May be a good way to get them excited.

Our 7yo helps cook. He does the age appropriate parts of dinner most nights which include measuring, mixing, stirring, getting ingredients out etc. we don't let him use the oven or stove yet but he can do pancakes with the electric griddle under supervision. He can also prepare grilled cheese and would be able to microwave if he could reach it on his own.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:

Make microwave popcorn
toast

One dish at a time perhaps? When I was around that age I think it was scrambled eggs. Don't do too much at once - try getting them to do one new dish this month maybe? After they've done it maybe 10 times, then try something related but different, and keep building up the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting