Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And, by the way, your kids are old enough to wash and dry their clothes. If they like to take their lunches, they are also old enough to make them. And in a year or two, they will be old enough to pump gas.
Just a quick word of warning about making your own lunches. If my memory of school serves me correctly, kids judge people on their lunch pretty harshly. (Just think of the "moussaka" / "moose caca" scene from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".) Only in high school did bringing something unique become a good thing, and I've seen kids bring the foods they made themselves.

Then again, that was in the 90's. The age of Snackwells and a Olestra potato chips. Perhaps healthy foods are more highly regarded among today's kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Just a quick word of warning about making your own lunches. If my memory of school serves me correctly, kids judge people on their lunch pretty harshly. (Just think of the "moussaka" / "moose caca" scene from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".) Only in high school did bringing something unique become a good thing, and I've seen kids bring the foods they made themselves.

Then again, that was in the 90's. The age of Snackwells and a Olestra potato chips. Perhaps healthy foods are more highly regarded among today's kids.
My kids make their own lunches and it doesn't seem like they get judged for what they bring. In fact the way I get my son to make his own lunch is tell him if he doesn't pack it he has to buy lunch (he's not real keen on most of the school lunches so that is the incentive). He would never in a million years pack a veggie or a fruit unless I help and put it in his lunchbox. My daughter will pack a sandwich, veggies, fruit, yogurt and she has to have some sort of chocolate. Most of it comes back (but not the chocolate) as she is a chatty Cathy and never has enough time to eat all she packs.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I let my kids have the run of the kitchen. I think kids like to make things they like to eat. I remember learning to make egg salad when I younger than 10. I believe I boiled the egss, with supervision, and taking my mom's direction, and made it myself.

The key is probably letting them make things they want to eat. Encourage them to be involved in baking. Show them how to fry an egg. Or if there is something else they like to eat, show them that.

And, by the way, your kids are old enough to wash and dry their clothes. If they like to take their lunches, they are also old enough to make them. And in a year or two, they will be old enough to pump gas.
For the lawnmower you mean? I'm not aware of any state that lowered the driving age to 12!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
For the lawnmower you mean? I'm not aware of any state that lowered the driving age to 12!

They don't have to be able to drive to be able to pump gas.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times
There are plastic serrated knives, that actually work, that are designed for children, that will not cut them accidentally.
Like the KiddyKutter Knife, My Safe Cutter, Kai My First Knife, to name a few.
Sorry I don't know how to link but a google search reveals many options.

My boy started 'helping' me in the kitchen when he was 2yo. He's now 21yo & enjoys cooking.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
There are plastic serrated knives, that actually work, that are designed for children, that will not cut them accidentally.
Like the KiddyKutter Knife, My Safe Cutter, Kai My First Knife, to name a few.
Sorry I don't know how to link but a google search reveals many options.

My boy started 'helping' me in the kitchen when he was 2yo. He's now 21yo & enjoys cooking.
sounds like safety could be a factor for your kids, if so. i agree with above, i have my safe cutter and Kai my first knife to keep at hand for nights my 5 year old want to help.

At your kids age, my biggest fear was the oven; we had an old oven where you had to go in all way in back to light it up. In fact, that's how my fear of cooking in kitchen started; from my middle school cooking class where i near burnt my hand trying to light that damn oven.

i also got my son this cookbook; Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes for his xmas present. we look at the book and pick out one recipe to try out one night a week. Try starting off breakfast food....easy to ease into. Bacon on in skillet or in oven, boil eggs, make pancake batter and cook it on electric skillet. My 5.5 and 3 year old boys LOVE helping daddy make their Sunday breakfast.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I started mine out at about five using a plastic picnic knife to cut up bananas for fruit salad. They learned to make their sandwiches next. My kids are tall, so they could start using the stove at 7, when they learned to cook scrambled eggs, fry a hotdog, etc. I think they learned to operate the oven at about 8, probably to put in a pizza. They're grown now and all cook.

We had Thanksgiving at my youngest son's house, and I had to laugh when my DIL pulled the gorgeous turkey out of the oven and my son asked me how to carve it. Then she asked how to make gravy.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
They don't have to be able to drive to be able to pump gas.
In Texas you have to be 16 to pump gas. I wouldn't be surprised if other states have similar laws.

I used to manage a gas station and I'd cut off the pump if a little kid was using it. The parent would storm in demanding to know why and I'd tell them about the law. When they were done spewing outrage, I'd point out that the kid was the right height to get gas in their eyes if they spilled it. If they still went on about it I'd tell them it was realty strange that I cared more about their child's safety than they did.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
whatever we pick in the wild or from the garden i always shared with my son how to cook it so he would take pride in it
same as fishing,,,how to clean and cook a fish and same with hunting,,,,,,how to cook venison

he started young learning how to cook,,

around 10-12......he watched a lot before that age.... he liked to cook for others and see their reactions

Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 AM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
I started cooking at age 8 or so, starting with breakfast meals. My mother signed us up for some cooking classes by age 10 or so learned little pizzas from refrigerator rolls, donuts from same....Hot dogs in blanket with same.

Can start the kids off as assistant prep cook and just go from there. Understanding seasonings, handling meats, cooking meats safely, is great lesson a little older. Stir fry is easy one and either show the 'special seasoning' or use a bottled sauce for flavor....

Pizza dough from scratch is interesting probably but expect a mess as most kids try to throw it instead of roll it out. Can explain yeast breads vs. flat bread....

Was invaluable savings and health tool once I moved out...The kids going out to eat all the time go broke as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting