Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old daughter is obsessed with Littlest Pet Shop...and she isn't the only one. There is a whole group of kids and adults in love with these toys (lead by youtube videos). Especially the older toys that are no longer on the market. Now they sell the old used ones on ebay for INSANE prices.

There is one toy that was originally about $5 and its selling for $70. My daughter wants to use her own money to buy it.

I am on the fence. I just really, really, really don't approve of supporting that kind of fleecing. I mean, if they were collectibles and would go up in value, I could see it. But...these are toys she will play with and will not increase in value.

But it is "her money". Should I really control what she spends it on (short of things that really aren't age appropriate).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

There is one toy that was originally about $5 and its selling for $70. My daughter wants to use her own money to buy it.
Should I really control what she spends it on (short of things that really aren't age appropriate).
Here's how I see it:

If it's not actually worth that much, then no, I would not allow her to buy it.

If it IS worth that much, she can buy it, but only if she understands it's a collectible and she cannot play with it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
I wouldn't. I think it's a good teaching moment. I realize it's her money but at the same time she needs to understand that it's WAY overpriced.

I really wanted to get DH a Nintendo Classic for Christmas. I couldn't justify paying the $200 + prices for something that normally sells for $60.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Had this same thing with my son.

He wants a Lego that is $1000 (bc of lack of availability).

He is saving for it and we had to have a sit down and discuss that just because you can afford to pay for something doesn't mean it's worth the money.

[By no means am I implying that this five-year-old can afford to spend $1,000 on the Lego. It's just that when it came up I decided it was time to talk about that. He spent 14 months picking up dog poop and saving to buy another Lego (much less expensive), so he is learning quickly about money.]

He is very into prices and costs and I offered to sell him a piece of candy for $20. He expressed how ridiculous that was. And how that was 5 weeks of poop picking. Then he made the connection and had the light bulb moment.

At the end of the day, if it's age-appropriate, I won't stand in the way of him buying anything. He works for his cash (this isn't birthday money - all gifted cash goes in his 529). But I will ensure he understands the consequences and weighs the opportunity cost.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Kids at that age typically buy things that are not really worth it. How much money does she have access to? Maybe you can tell her to allot her money to separate things and what she "has" for wants she can buy. Maybe something like 25% savings, 25% needs, 10% gifts and/or charities and 40% wants...or however you think would be best. But whatever she has for her wants is hers to do as she pleases...just teach her the value of a dollar. Example if she gets 5 dollars a week in allowance tell her that "one" toy will cost her 14 weeks, 98 days, or 2352 hours Ask her if she thinks that is worth it?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
70$ a piece ? Is it made of gold then? That is big time shucks, I have a tip for you. Check AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China. one of my friend bought a bag of littlest pet shop 12 pieces for 4,50 Euros it takes a bit of time to come but I think it is better than 70$ right.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My 10 year old daughter is obsessed with Littlest Pet Shop...and she isn't the only one. There is a whole group of kids and adults in love with these toys (lead by youtube videos). Especially the older toys that are no longer on the market. Now they sell the old used ones on ebay for INSANE prices.

I am on the fence. I just really, really, really don't approve of supporting that kind of fleecing. I mean, if they were collectibles and would go up in value, I could see it. But...these are toys she will play with and will not increase in value.

But it is "her money". Should I really control what she spends it on (short of things that really aren't age appropriate).

Thoughts?
My thought is you're between a rock and a hard place. Maybe a different toy that's less expensive? Probably not what she wants though, right? Maybe let her buy it and learn a lesson, although that's hard to watch. I don't know; there's probably no good answer.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I'm split. It's her money and could be a good lesson on blowing your money on something that isn't really worth it. I would probably state my case and then let her decide how to spend her money and explain that if she spends it now that means she won't have it later.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
In general, it's her money so let her purchase it. Although it's difficult to let our children learn hard lessons, I think this is a good time to let her learn one about money and choices in spending money. $70 is a relatively small amount for her (you) to pay for that lesson.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
HFB, it's also not too early to start talking about how her money can make its own money by being invested.

If you're comfortable with it, you can show her some of your investment accounts and explain the idea of passive income.

It's a big hit over here at the stan4 household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting