Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,166 times

Advertisements

My mother was a teacher years ago, and one year, we marveled at her haul of Christmas gifts. One of the moms in her class was an Avon lady, and was apparently able to talk all of the parents in the class into buying Avon products -- so my mother received a WIDE variety - 27! -- of Avon products! No two were the same, and we giggled at the 8 different scents of fragrance perfume sticks, and the multitude of lipsticks and soaps. Our living room smelled like a house of ill repute, and the sad thing is, that my mother was very sensitive to perfume and couldn't wear it.

But she certainly appreciate the thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 12:35 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Our school is very specific no Visa/Amex Cards and no cash. All of such items the teacher must turn over to the front office. I have no idea why...tax issue, liability, who knows.
Wow -- that's pretty draconian. I've never, ever heard of such a thing between my mother teaching 35 years, and my own kids in school for 15. Maybe their are afraid of the appearance of bribery, but good grief, where do you draw the line?! Turn in the jewelry, but keep the mug? Weird.

Mail it to them at home. :-)

Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 600,526 times
Then with all the cash, they can use the funds for education so it seems actually pretty logical. For example, if staff see continued mis-use of their, there, they're, effect, affect and apostrophe abuse, then practice worksheets can be made with the cash.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:11 PM

676 posts, read 727,948 times
$0

Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,792,095 times
I have always written a note expressing thanks along with a gift cards for either a local bookstores, coffee shop or ice cream shop. Gift card amount is usually $15.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,934,267 times
A few years ago I got my son's teachers personlized mugs.. All but $10 each. I was able to get for staff and principals and was a huge hit: Here is an idea: Apple Scroll Personalized Teacher Mug They all come in their own box, so I just purchased $1 gift bags. I just got different mugs styles for each teacher (gym, music, art, etc.)

Old 05-25-2017, 12:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
A few years ago I got my son's teachers personlized mugs.. All but $10 each. I was able to get for staff and principals and was a huge hit: Here is an idea: Apple Scroll Personalized Teacher Mug They all come in their own box, so I just purchased $1 gift bags. I just got different mugs styles for each teacher (gym, music, art, etc.)
I know it is ironic as I mentioned how much I like the mug my student got me, but please no mugs. Our cupboards in the school and at home are overflowing with mugs that we do not need. I know it is a common gift, but think about it, say three or four kids a year pick mugs, within a couple of years that is a ridiculous amount that no one can use.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:07 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
A huge hit? Maybe they were just being polite.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 AM

565 posts, read 726,300 times
I've been teaching/doing other stuff in schools for 14 years now, and I still like mugs from students! I have some, but by and large people have stopped giving them. Also, I'm a big coffee/tea drinker.

Another idea is the personalized water tumblers, since teachers can't just leave their class to go get a drink when they are thirsty. I have a variety of water bottles and one is on my desk at all times. Honestly, as I said before, I've always been happy to receive anything at all---I have gotten homemade treats (yay!), coffee mugs (yay!), gift cards (yay!), handwritten notes (still have them many years later!), and random gifts like a pair of obviously used earrings (from a little girl who probably couldn't give anything else--I still thanked her profusely), a set of dessert plates (why not? I still have them years later), book marks, office supplies, chocolates, etc. I'm happy that people even thought of me!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:35 AM

565 posts, read 726,300 times
OH, one year I got a bag of dried pasta! True story. I still said Thank you!! It was Texas shaped pasta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting