Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:00 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I taught 10 years. Never ever did it occur to me during that time that parents didn't appreciate my efforts because I didn't receive a gift. Never.

OP the best gifts are hand written notes - at least it was for me. I still have every note written to me in a special box that I keep in my office.

Btw, I give $50 to a general Target gift card fund that is distributed to all employees at the school including the staff (cafeteria worker, janitors, etc.). This is in addition to the $50 that each family is asked to contribute to at the beginning of the year for each classroom by home room parents.

As I said in my post that is directly above yours, I was NOT referring to actual gifts but instead was referring to acknowledgment, written or verbal. Gifts are an unexpected and appreciated BONUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Since we do Christmas gifts and teacher appreciation week we don't do end of year. I try to spend around $15 per teacher/TA. One thing to check on is to see if they have a list of favorites. The teacher's at our school all have a little blurb on their teacher websites (which can be found on the school website) that have a list of their favorites. It helps parents get something that would be useful to them.
Awww, that's really nice. Do they have a list of suggested gift amounts, like they have printed on restaurant receipts?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:42 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree. $35 seems fine for what it covers.

Here, I'd say a gift card in the $20-25 range is pretty standard for elementary.
Wow. My daughter always bought a nice $5 box of Hershey's Pot of Gold chocolates for each teacher (they were always team taught) once or twice a year. She was often the only one in her class who brought the teachers a present. There is no such rubbish as an institutional 'teacher appreciation week' or room mothers collecting money for buying gifts for the teacher in our district, and before this thread I never heard of such a thing.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Wow. My daughter always bought a nice $5 box of Hershey's Pot of Gold chocolates for each teacher (they were always team taught) once or twice a year. She was often the only one in her class who brought the teachers a present. There is no such rubbish as an institutional 'teacher appreciation week' or room mothers collecting money for buying gifts for the teacher in our district, and before this thread I never heard of such a thing.
Maybe I shouldn't have said it was standard, but rather not unusual.

I don't know why giving a gift would be seen as "rubbish" or a negative thing to do. We sent my high schooler in with $10 Panera cards for each teacher earlier this month. I know they don't get much.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Nothing

I give Christmas gifts with a nice note

Old 06-02-2017, 11:34 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
I've never heard of End of Year gifts for teachers.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Awww, that's really nice. Do they have a list of suggested gift amounts, like they have printed on restaurant receipts?
If parents want to get their kid's teacher something they like, then its helpful. Nothing wrong with it. Only something wrong with it is you are overly sensitive and feel like its a demand, not a helpful resource.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
We gave $50 gift card to teacher and same to her teaching fellow.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
We gave both the 4K teacher and assistant $100 gift cards to Ruth Chris at the end of the school year. I realize that's excessive as far as teacher's gifts normally go, but those women were saints with my son, who we've never had in day care and unfortunately turned out to not be well adjusted/behaved around lots of other kids.
Don't feel bad.
Our kid never had daycare and he was the only boy in the class who didn't wind up with an "action plan" for bad behavior or notes sent home for fighting, etc.
I think it helped that he was the oldest kid and has helped take care of his little sister.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
We gave both the 4K teacher and assistant $100 gift cards to Ruth Chris at the end of the school year. I realize that's excessive as far as teacher's gifts normally go, but those women were saints with my son, who we've never had in day care and unfortunately turned out to not be well adjusted/behaved around lots of other kids.
It's very generous but not excessive
I've seen some gifts in private school that were excessive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting