Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Just because the day care won't break the confidentiality of the other child/children it does not mean that there were "no consequences".
The school never told me who it was either, because of confidentiality, but my son was a good talker and he told me and I would have him point to make sure I heard the name right. I would ask the teachers to confirm, and they couldn't, but you could tell by their look that I had said the right name. It was always the same kid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

You have absolutely no idea that there were "no consequences".
For all that you know the child was given two warnings and after the third bite they were kicked out and right now those parents are scrambling to find a new day center. Or the child was moved to a different room. Or it was three different children and they each had a formal warning. Or after the third time they increased the staffing to the room or moved the offender to a different room. Or they requested that the parent contact their pediatrician to have the child be evaluated for special needs. Or any number of different scenarios.

Just because the day care won't break the confidentiality of the other child/children it does not mean that there were "no consequences".
You're right, I'm sure they have done something. But since they won't tell me what, I can only go off what I know. I'll know when I pick her up today if they've removed anyone because each kid as a shelf in the room and there aren't that many kids. So, if the shelves are in tact, the kid is still there. I know they send letters home with the parents, but seriously, how is that a consequence?

From talking to other daycare workers, biting 3 times in a week isn't enough to remove someone. Even biting 3 times a day isn't enough. That sucks for the kids getting bitten, but sure seems like no real consequence for the biter since they get to stay and continue with their poor behavior.

Ultimately I just feel bad leaving my daughter somewhere knowing that she's going to be bitten. How am I supposed to ignore that?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Kids do bite, but three times in a week is excessive.

Talk to the director of the school and ask that another aid be put in the room to help keep an eye on the kids. Also tell him/her that if your child comes home with another bite mark you're going to move her and report on social media that the school isn't keeping children safe. But if you're going to make that threat you need to be prepared to follow through with it.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
As others have alluded to, this isn't a situation where the daycare needs to tell you the details of the offender, but they absolutely need to tell you the actions they've taken to reduce future risks. Press them on this.

If they won't or can't tell you what they're doing, I'd start shopping around for another daycare. The biting might die down, but what about the next thing? I wouldn't want a daycare where the standard response to a legitimate safety concern is "it's not really your business".

Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As others have alluded to, this isn't a situation where the daycare needs to tell you the details of the offender, but they absolutely need to tell you the actions they've taken to reduce future risks. Press them on this.

If they won't or can't tell you what they're doing, I'd start shopping around for another daycare. The biting might die down, but what about the next thing? I wouldn't want a daycare where the standard response to a legitimate safety concern is "it's not really your business".
It's the same once they start school. Something happens and a parent is notified but they won't tell you the other child involved or anything about the other kid's punishment.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:12 PM

344 posts, read 245,181 times
None of my 3 were bitten at daycare. Guess I'm lucky? I would never accept the school's response. Fine, if they didn't want to tell me who it is but I'd sure want to know that they've discussed this with the other parent(s). Actually I'd want to know what they are going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again (especially if it's the same child biting!). Are they punishing the child - time out, what? They need to be doing something!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
None of my 3 were bitten at daycare. Guess I'm lucky? I would never accept the school's response. Fine, if they didn't want to tell me who it is but I'd sure want to know that they've discussed this with the other parent(s). Actually I'd want to know what they are going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again (especially if it's the same child biting!). Are they punishing the child - time out, what? They need to be doing something!
Mine wasn't either, but he wasn't full time. Actually, he was never bitten at any of the places we went, classes he went to, or play dates we had.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
"I'm so mad my kid is getting crappy care from the strangers I left her with!!! Don't they know I don't have time for this??!!"

Old 06-27-2017, 05:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Frequently biting is an action by less verbal kids who are around bigger or older kids. Once they see it "works" it takes some time to train the behavior away. It's likely it is actually one of the younger kids who moved with your daughter who bit one of the older toddlers and saw what a strong reaction it got.

There is actually a "don't bite your friends" song which can be really helpful at that age. Teach it to your daughter and suggest it to the teacher as well.

As for the snide daycare comments, many younger siblings bite older ones, even if there is a stay at home parent. Biting is just part of being a young toddler.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I absolutely would not leave my child there. She had a bruise on her back for 5 days? That would have been her last day if I were her parent.

Biting is dangerous and is NOT normal - it can be stopped if the parents put their foot down.

When I was growing up there was a boy in my neighborhood that bit other kids. One day he bit me. My mom marched me down to his house and when his mom answered the door she told her that her son had bitten me and I was going to bite him back. I bit the xxxx out of him and he never bit another kid again. The mom called my mom a few months later to thank her for having me bite him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting