Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not reduced fertility, it is much better birth control.
Some of it is reduced fertility though, at least on the male side. There is a lot of evidence that points to male sperm count cratering compared to 30-40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
My great-grandparents on my mother's side had TWELVE children. My grandmother was the oldest (she was a twin, but her sister died at six months of pneumonia). A little brother died of diphtheria. A baby sister died at aged two of a broken neck when the high chair she was sitting in tipped over (family legend was that the older children were climbing on it). My great-grandfather died in an accident when my grandmother was 15, and my great-grandmother was pregnant with the twelfth and youngest sibling. Had he not died, there would probably have been several more children.

My grandfather on my father's side was one of 5. His was the first generation born in America after immigrated from the UK. My grandmother on my father's side was one of 3 (her mother, who immigrated from Wales, died young of high blood pressure/kidney complications). My mother was one of four children (the oldest sibling was a half brother born out of wedlock, whose origin wasn't discussed with us kids). We saw him regularly and were very fond of him, though...he wasn't ostracized or anything like that. He was raised by his grandmother.

I'm one of 3...I have twin siblings (twins obviously run in the family), brothers who never married or had children. I have two daughters, one of whom has two sons (my grandsons). The oldest grandson is the result of a sperm donor...son in law was tested and found to be "infertile". Two years later they unexpectedly successfully conceived and delivered my youngest grandson. Tests can be wrong.

My youngest daughter (age 27) doesn't want children.

My father was one of 3 boys...one of his brothers married and had two sons, the other didn't marry or have children. Through the generations on my father's side, there have been many uncles (and aunts) who never married or had children. Youngest daughter (like my brothers) is carrying out this tradition.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-06-2019 at 02:52 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
My grandparents were all born between 1895 and 1905. No idea of paternal grandparents family size. Maternal grandfather 1of 2 children, maternal grandmother one of 5 (all girls)

Paternal grandparents had 10 children, 8 of which survived to adulthood. Each of those had on average 3+ children. Those children had on average 2, and their children probably average less than that.

Similar results for maternal grandparents - they had 7, all of whom survived to adulthood.

From an economic perspective, children are an "inferior good" - the more money you have the less of them you want.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I have two brothers and one sister. My brothers each had one kid, my sister none. I have five. So 4 became 7.

My Dad is 1 of 11. 3 died just after birth. He and his siblings have 4;6; 2;4;2;1;3;2. So 9 became 24. Of the grand-kids (my generation) almost all of us have kids. Only a few have more than two. there are a number of great grand-kids too. there are more than 50 living descendants of Grandma and Grandpa, less than 100 I think. We have a lot of odd family drama (A child molester, a drunk, a couple of drug addicts, a suicide, forever changing gender/sexual preference before it was popular, high school pregnancies, runaways, also some doctors, lawyers and national champions in various sports. we have it all). Maybe all families do.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-13-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
My dad's side of the family is Catholic, yet there are no huge families in the family tree I have that goes back to the 1750s. My dad had a large family around him, but they were extended family.

My dad (b.1931) was 1 of 4 kids, my mom (b.1939) was 1 of 2.
They had 4 kids
My generation has 3,3,2,1.
Two of my siblings are grandparents so far - with 1 and 2. That generation (my daughter's) is very spread out in age - from 11-40, so there could very well be more grandkids in years to come.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:27 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
I came from a family of four kids and my wife came from a family of five. All I had to do was cast her a smouldering glance and WHAM she was pregnant. After #3 came along in five years, I hied myself to a urologist for the snip.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
My Mother is a grav 4 para 4 (one set of fraternal twins so 5 children in total)

I am a grav 11 para 4 (six terminations, one spontaneous abortion [lay term:miscarriage] and four live births)

My son aged 36 has one child

Daughter aged 35 is grav 8 para 2 -soon to be 3- (five terminations, two live births and is currently 29 weeks pg)

No fertility issues (obvi) and all robust full termers. I had one home delivery and my daughter has had one as well and is planning same for no. 3.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I don’t know about my grandparents on my dad’s side, but my mom’s mom had 4 siblings and my mom’s dad had 5, although one died very young.

My dad was one of three and my mom was one of two (both born right after WWII). My mom’s mother was a physician who worked during the war and was in her mid-30s before starting a family. My dad’s mom was a nurse. My sister and I only have one between us. I have six cousins and among us, there are only 7 kids. Half of us do not have any children and I think that only the youngest, who is almost 28 is still considering marriage/kids. Everyone else is 35+ and either seems to have had all the kids they want to have or be too old for kids.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 AM

623 posts, read 233,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My parents were each one of 10, dad had 3 full and 6 half siblings. For generations 2 and 3 (counting from grandparents) the fertility rate has fallen off a cliff. Several aunts or uncles have far fewer grand children than children (one aunt had 5 children and only 1 grandchildren). On mom's side I'd guess the fertility rate is now below 1 child per woman. I am one of 5 and we combine for only 3 children. But my wife's family still has couples with 2 or 3 kids each.
My father was 1 of 3,my mother 1 of 4. My mother had 5. Her 5 kids are in order
Older brother- 5 kids
Older sister- 1 kid
Me-5 kids with 5th due in November
Younger brother-3 kids
Younger sister-2 kids.

Everywhere I look where I live I see YOUNG mostly working class families with at least 3 and 4 kids...its beautiful. People get so shocked when we tell them we are pregnant with #5. Happened yesterday in Motherhood Maternity...like its some bad thing to have a large family.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Mine is pretty small for the most part.

My wife and I are only children. We currently have b/g twins, but hoping for more.

My dad was 1 of 2. His dad was 1 of 5 and his mom was an only child.
My mom was 1 of 4. Her parents were both 1 of 2, although her father had another sibling who was stillborn as well, so it could have been three.

Needless to say , I want at least 1 more, if not 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting