Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If my child's life was at risk EVERY DAY, the LAST place they would be is public school.
Um ok. Do you realize most people don't have another option? Do you realize that public schools are the only places legally required to educate every child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why do you respond to this but ignore the posts about school being different from the mall.
Honestly, when one's post begins this way I tend to stop reading it all together. Also, I don't want to post more than I do now because I've received complaints about posting too much. LOL I did allude to public places like malls and libraries in a previous post. Even at these places, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a child to be inadvertently exposed to their allergen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Our school and many others have a preschool in the elem school. Even if they didn't, there are still 5 year olds in elem school.

You still haven't answered why you assume parents aren't teaching their kids to be careful. I know you just think I'm being mean, but the entire premise of your OP is wrong, imo, and you have yet to prove otherwise.
I did answer you by stating, several times as a matter of fact, that I don't believe parents aren't teaching their kids to be careful. But teaching is one thing. Self responsibility and acclimating to a world where you can't be protected is another thing.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Honestly, when one's post begins this way I tend to stop reading it all together. Also, I don't want to post more than I do now because I've received complaints about posting too much. LOL I did allude to public places like malls and libraries in a previous post. Even at these places, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a child to be inadvertently exposed to their allergen.

I did answer you by stating, several times as a matter of fact, that I don't believe parents aren't teaching their kids to be careful. But teaching is one thing. Self responsibility and acclimating to a world where you can't be protected is another thing.

It's an extra layer of protection at the place where the child spends most of their time. It is fundamentally different than the mall or movie theater. Removing peanuts from the classroom does not in any way indicate that parents don't think they need to teach them to be careful and responsible for themselves. There is no "there" there.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Yes sometimes people do get annoyed by having to specially accommodate others sometimes. It's more work, more procedures and people complain if they processes arent followed perfectly. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM

You might want my kid to put away his peanut butter because your kid is allergic. But let's say my kid is unpopular and your kid hangs out with the cool kids and won't give my kid the time of the time of day and maybe even bullies my child. Are you going to accommodate by asking your kid to accommodate my kid so he isn't miserable and doesn't hate going to school because he's not popular? Probably not. So at the end of the day maybe this is why not all parents care that little johnny has a peanut allergy. Little johnny isnt going to die from peanuts he isnt eating so stop exaggerating.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM

574 posts, read 383,141 times
Ban the stuff in schools, ban it everywhere else too... not sure what else there is to do, since everyone seems to be allergic to it these days

Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Hell no. Peanut butter is delicious

Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
You might want my kid to put away his peanut butter because your kid is allergic. But let's say my kid is unpopular and your kid hangs out with the cool kids and won't give my kid the time of the time of day and maybe even bullies my child. Are you going to accommodate by asking your kid to accommodate my kid so he isn't miserable and doesn't hate going to school because he's not popular? Probably not. So at the end of the day maybe this is why not all parents care that little johnny has a peanut allergy. Little johnny isnt going to die from peanuts he isnt eating so stop exaggerating.
Ummmm.... yes, bullying is not allowed at school, and I wouldn't allow my kid to bully yours. How is that even a question?

Is your child going to die because he's not cool? Maybe the reason he's not cool is because the other kids don't want to hang around with a special snowflake who can't manage not to put the peanut-allergic kid at risk. And YES, children who are allergic to peanuts can absolutely die from contamination. Let's say your little kid has peanut butter on his hands from eating his much-needed PB&J sandwich, then he gets peanut butter on the playground equipment. His classmate then goes on the jungle gym after him and ends up having an anaphylactic reaction.

Do you know what an anaphylactic reaction is? Their throat closes. They can't breathe. They vomit. Their eyes swell shut. They pass out. There can be permanent organ damage. Yes, most kids can be brought back with a painful injection of epinephrine, which kicks their heart into overdrive and keeps them alive until they get to an ER via ambulance. Some kids die. Actually, someone in my volunteer organization, a 50-something year old man, just died the other day from a food allergy. A three-year-old in my daughter's dance class went into shock from a dairy allergy (she smelled some milk-and-honey soap in her grandmother's bathroom) and spent some time in the ICU. It's serious business.

I know your children are still babies and that you're posting from the perspective of having tiny children who you protect carefully. You have no idea if either of them will end up food-allergic and you're assuming that they're not. Things change, and chances are excellent that if one of your kids isn't allergic to anything, they will have a classmate or friend who is. I'm pretty sure your tune will change about all sort of things, because you're not going to be sending a peanut butter sandwich to school when your kid's best friend has an anaphylactic allergy.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Actually, yes. Schools have anti-bullying programs, and disciplinary actions for bullies. There are countless ways public schools are required to accommodate kids. Every kid.

Read your post and think about what you are saying. Just think about it.

And yes, some kids can die. If you don't know about this topic, maybe stop posting about it as if you do.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
One problem is that while even young children can be responsible for their own medical needs, other children can't be. After working lunch in a school for a year I think it should be banned in preschool and Kindergarten. The kids who have a life threatening peanut allergy are careful but the 3-5 year olds they share space with are not. And half of the adults aren't either. The immature kids still do things like stick their hands in another kids mouth, put food in other kids mouths and don't wash their hands properly. It doesn't even occur to some of them to wipe their mouths much less wash the food off their faces after eating.

There was a peanut free table at the Kindergarten I worked in. The children who had to sit at that table were supposed to be allowed to invite a friend to sit with them if there was room. That was what the parents were told anyway. In reality it was full of kids without allergies and they were not "careful" about what was in their lunch. Several times I had to move kids to make room for a child with an actual peanut allergy. Several times I had to take a child and their PB&J sandwich away from that table. The same cloths were used to clean all tables. I asked the principal if the food being sold in the cafeteria was peanut free and she responded that she had no idea. That it was the responsibility of the parents to know that if they were letting their children buy lunch. Except she was allowing students who bought lunch to sit at the peanut free table. The parents of the "allergy kids" and the "allergy kids" could be as careful as could be and they still cannot control the stupidity and carelessness of those around them.

I wish I could still be shocked by the ignorance and selfishness I've seen in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting