Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How do you know this for sure? Some of the people you know might not be telling you. Some of them might not even remember themselves cause they blocked it out.
Again, I meant no one I knew was molested by public school teachers - the topic of this thread.

And YES it is more common for this to happen at home. I do know plenty of people who had that happen. And YES many of these people do block it out or do not discuss it.

Getting back to the topic of THIS thread, it is my opinion that parents specifically do not need to worry one bit about female public school teachers molesting their kids. (Male school teachers are of course a different matter.)

How do I know? Look at the statistics... Specifically male sex offenders (a very large number) as opposed to female sex offenders (very few like 3%) - then how many of those female sex offenders were teachers molesting a student? (quite rare, good luck finding any data on that.)

Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A lot of it at HS age is not reported because the "victim" does not feel "abused", does not process it as abuse or want to retaliate against the "abuser", and in fact rather enjoyed himself or herself.
I think that, toward the end, as he got older, Vili Falau (sp) enjoyed his sessions with Mary Kay LeTourneau.

That she was sick and a predator is without question. Since I always question "cause and effect" in most social situations, I often wonder what caused her to flip out on her husband, someone "equally" matched to her, to chase this Samoan kid.

At any rate, I thought kids today were taught to "whistleblow" and have every incentive to do so. I do agree that a 16 or 17 y.o. boy, or girl, may very well fully participate and whistleblowing might not even be appropriate. It's a matter of semantics, in these cases. However, when a young child who is not in charge of the situation is molested, they need to "whistleblow."

Where exactly do these female teachers perform the molestation? There should be cameras in the classroom. It's sad that it has come to this, but I think that most teachers would consent to cameras if it kept them out of frivolous claims and legal action.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A lot of it at HS age is not reported because the "victim" does not feel "abused", does not process it as abuse or want to retaliate against the "abuser", and in fact rather enjoyed himself or herself.
If he/she enjoyed it then obviously it wasn't abuse. Abuse is defined as non-consenting, or in other words, the person receiving the abuse is not enjoying it one bit. You're conflating issues here, djacques. Consensual sex and rape/molestation are two separate things.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Again, I meant no one I knew was molested by public school teachers - the topic of this thread.

And YES it is more common for this to happen at home. I do know plenty of people who had that happen. And YES many of these people do block it out or do not discuss it.

Getting back to the topic of THIS thread, it is my opinion that parents specifically do not need to worry one bit about female public school teachers molesting their kids. (Male school teachers are of course a different matter.)

How do I know? Look at the statistics... Specifically male sex offenders (a very large number) as opposed to female sex offenders (very few like 3%) - then how many of those female sex offenders were teachers molesting a student? (quite rare, good luck finding any data on that.)
Again, how do you know? You don't know. Some people you know may have been molested but never told you. Or maybe not. The point is, you don't know for sure. You cannot assume that someone was not molested just because they didn't tell you they were. You have to consider the possibility that someone was molested but never told you, so you would simply not know about it.

Why is there a double standard between men and women? Both are capable of becoming perpetrators. Statistics do not guarantee anything on an individual basis. It's logically fallacious to say you know anything about a certain individual based on statistics. They only speak to likelihood. In other words, you cannot assume that since most perpetrators are male, that a specific male is a perpetrator or that a specific female is not a perpetrator. Not to mention, statistics are only as good as the reports they are based on and sexual abuse is SEVERELY underreported. Stats on this issue are virtually meaningless.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Again, how do you know? You don't know. Some people you know may have been molested but never told you. Or maybe not. The point is, you don't know for sure. You cannot assume that someone was not molested just because they didn't tell you they were. You have to consider the possibility that someone was molested but never told you, so you would simply not know about it.

Why is there a double standard between men and women? Both are capable of becoming perpetrators. Statistics do not guarantee anything on an individual basis. It's logically fallacious to say you know anything about a certain individual based on statistics. They only speak to likelihood. In other words, you cannot assume that since most perpetrators are male, that a specific male is a perpetrator or that a specific female is not a perpetrator. Not to mention, statistics are only as good as the reports they are based on and sexual abuse is SEVERELY underreported. Stats on this issue are virtually meaningless.
They can't be perps because, well, they're female! I wonder how many adult female vs juvenile go unreported each year? I'd bet the number is rather high since it's socially accepted and in many cases encouraged for a male to engage in sex starting at a young age, in fact in many circles it'd be a badge of honor. I remember growing up kids as young as 9 talking about it and after I grew up hearing kids about the same age bragging about it.
Surprised? Don't be. If grade school kids are drinking and doing drugs (they are as studies have shown) then going down the sex road is not much of a stretch.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
I do notice that lately when the abuser is a female teacher she is usually rather attractive, and the kid is almost always kind of a nerd. Usually the teacher is in some kind of relationship where her husband / boyfriend is not treating her well, and she winds up confiding in the kid, and one thing leads to another. It doesn't justify the behavior, but the media seems to love these stories a lot.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They can't be perps because, well, they're female! I wonder how many adult female vs juvenile go unreported each year? I'd bet the number is rather high since it's socially accepted and in many cases encouraged for a male to engage in sex starting at a young age, in fact in many circles it'd be a badge of honor. I remember growing up kids as young as 9 talking about it and after I grew up hearing kids about the same age bragging about it.
Surprised? Don't be. If grade school kids are drinking and doing drugs (they are as studies have shown) then going down the sex road is not much of a stretch.
Doesn't even matter if the victim is male or female. I was raped by a woman for 4 years (I'm female myself) and I've had people tell me to my face that it's "impossible" for a woman to commit rape.

And no that didn't go reported because by the time the memories resurfaced for me, I had forgotten her last name and her first name is really common.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:

How do you know that people aren't abducted by aliens? That nazi soliders don't live in the core of the earth (or dark side of the moon).

Seriously, you can't prove a negative based on your gut.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
It's always interesting to me. If a male teacher had sex with a female or male student, a lynch mob would form.

But if a female teacher has sex with a male student, there's nowhere close to that kind of outrage. Typically you'll see suspended sentences and firings. Does that mean we take the offense less seriously? And why?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Quote:
...Statistics do not guarantee anything on an individual basis. It's logically fallacious to say you know anything about a certain individual based on statistics. They only speak to likelihood...
Correct - likelihood.

And I live my life with that in mind. For example I moved to a very low crime rate rural area, many of my neighbors leave their doors unlocked as it is unlikely a burglar will enter their home. And with that in mind I'm not going to waste my time and money installing bars on my windows, etc., rather I think I will plant flowers and enjoy the nice surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting