Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times

Advertisements

AGREED! Hate the "proposals" and productions that these poor guys go through just to ask a girl to a freakin' dance.

Our high school had a dance almost every month -- school gym, different themes (back to school, sock-hop, homecoming, holiday dance, Sadie Hawkins, etc., etc. But going to a dance with a guy didn't involve a production -- it was a date, not a life-long commitment, or "memorable." It was just a DANCE, jeez. So there was no real pressure. A guy would call and girl and say, "Would you like to go to the prom with me?" And the girl could say yes or no -- no public humiliation for either party if the answer was no. I feel so very sorry for boys these days -- the expectations are so blown out of proportion, they must think, "Oh, god, if I have to do all this for just a stupid prom, I am NEVER proposing marriage to a woman!"

When my son was in high school, he hung out with a group -- there were four guys and four girls (plus another girl who drifted in and out of the group, depending on her boyfriend status that week :-) When it came time for the prom, the girls suggested that they just go as a group instead of "pairing up", since they tended to do everything as a group, anyway. But the boys felt the girls needed a little bit fun, so they decided who would buy flowers for whom, and then the shenanigans as to "what color was her dress, what would match", etc., with consultations with mothers and sisters as to the color the dress, etc. started. They rented a limo, and had a great time -- no pressure, just fun, not stuck with one girl or one guy all night long.

Some of these kids spend as much time on their prom date as some spend on their wedding -- the perfect "dress", make up, shoes, guy in the right tux, limo, dinner, etc. I shudder to think of their weddings when the time comes . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:06 AM

36 posts, read 57,510 times
I think its silly. Its high school. Its only a prom. Heck, i never even went to my prom! Sorry theres more to life than that haha..oh and i think overly expensive weddings are silly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting