Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Common now ?

Crazy parents are calling up colleges, pretending to be their kids | New York Post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yep. Over involved parents are no longer unusual. It’s pretty nuts. I’ve had to field parents at work multiple times.

Just a few years ago someone in my family asked to come over to my home to use our computer because hers had died. She had a take home final to finish. Her mom came with her and they worked on it together. She was a college junior. I was flabbergasted.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:46 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
There was a thread on the Education forum just recently, posted by a mom who wanted to know if it would be crossing a line to contact the Dean about an incompetent professor, who was negatively affecting her child's GPA, and ability to complete the course. She said that since she was writing the tuition checks, she felt she had this right. If the student wasn't able to pass the course, s/he would have to spent an extra semester on top of the basic 4 years, to re-take the course or take an equivalent. At least she had enough of a clue to ask whether that would be inappropriate helicoptering or not.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
My ex bfs mother does all her 23 yr old grandsons homework for him from age of high school til present day- he's now in a local junior college... I feel bad because he's been so controlled by her from a young age, she treats him now at 23 as if he's 12, and also meddles in his social life, back last year before when I was with my bf he told me his mom "chased off a girlfriend of his nephew that his mom didn't like" - his nephew is actually fairly intelligent but has become so oppressed by the grandmother who seems to discourage him from doing his own school work, and also discourages him from venturing out making friends and dating-
she's the same one who runs interference for my ex whenever he was arrested- before he met me she got his stepdad to foot a huge private lawyer bill, and after he assaulted me, apparently she thought it a good idea to aid and abet him continuing his behavior once again getting stepdad to get out his checkbook rather than letting him get the message they won't help him out of assaulting people. So parental involvement can be mild like a parent of a sixth grader helping with homework to a mother of a 50 yr old man enabling his criminal behavior.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yep. Over involved parents are no longer unusual. It’s pretty nuts. I’ve had to field parents at work multiple times.

Just a few years ago someone in my family asked to come over to my home to use our computer because hers had died. She had a take home final to finish. Her mom came with her and they worked on it together. She was a college junior. I was flabbergasted.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
As a parent with a non-gifted, hardworking child in college who gets no help or input from me or anyone other than her professors and tutors, the idea of her fellow classmates (and competitors for scholarships/internships) getting their homework done for them by someone else is just enraging.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM

When I was in college, there was no such thing as taking tests at home on your computer. You had to show up for class on time, and take the test within the time limit allowed. It was sink or swim. Students these days can take tests at their leisure, usually, they are given a window of 1 to 2 days to take it in.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When I was in college, there was no such thing as taking tests at home on your computer. You had to show up for class on time, and take the test within the time limit allowed. It was sink or swim. Students these days can take tests at their leisure, usually, they are given a window of 1 to 2 days to take it in.
No that’s not true... at least not in any of the colleges I’ve worked in. There’s a test date and you have to show up and do it in person. If you are late, too bad. If you miss it altogether you are at the mercy of the professor. Unless you have a note from the hospital, they don’t have to allow you a make up.

In the example I used above the young lady was taking a winter session course... a three week course held between fall and spring semesters. She essentially had to write an research paper as her final. The teacher put up a prompt on Friday and she had the weekend to answer the question in the form of a 10(?) page paper with citations. That’s why she needed a computer. Her mom was pulling research and even writing some of the paragraphs.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
Many college tests are online.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:32 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
As a parent with a non-gifted, hardworking child in college who gets no help or input from me or anyone other than her professors and tutors, the idea of her fellow classmates (and competitors for scholarships/internships) getting their homework done for them by someone else is just enraging.
Same here. Mine is in graduate school now, but she did it all on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting