Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM

37 posts, read 65,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
My parents named me Julianne, after my mom's cousin whom she is really close with. It's a simple enough name to pronounce, just the name Julie and the name Anne put together, but people still have problems with pronunciation. I've been called all of the following names on numerous occasions:

1) Julie
2) Julia
3) Julianna
4) Julian (like the boy's name)
5) Joanna (yeah, I don't know either )

Julianna is the most common mispronunciation. It's usually teachers, nurses, or other people who have to read it off a piece of paper. Like, I don't know, they just feel like throwing in an A at the end of my name. In the first grade my teacher called me that so often I actually wrote the name on my paper by mistake several times. I don't even bother correcting people anymore unless I know I'll be in contact with them in the future. The priest of my parish, who happens to have gone to school with my mom and is one of my dad's best friends still calls me Julianna. I've corrected him at least ten times and I've completely given up at this point. I think he actually knows my name but he does it for his own amusement. My eighth grade homeroom teacher called me Julianna all day, every day for the entire year. Some of my classmates tried to tell her but she just didn't get it. Come graduation day, she actually pronounced my name correctly much to my surprise. My Great-Aunt called me Joanna until she died when I was ten but I'm not sure if it's because she had bad hearing or dementia. I'm fine with my name, it seems like only other people have a problem with it.
LOL that's my moms name only it is Juliann & I don't know how many times I've answered the phone to someone asking to speak to Julian (the boys name).
She actually goes by Julie though so there is no confusion lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I knew a family growing up - the Bells. Their kids were named Than, Thom, Thea, Thadria, Thad, Thatcher, Thirsten and Thara.

The Dad used to answer the phone "Bell residence. Which ding-a-ling would you like to talk to"

Gee - I haven't thought about that family in years!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM

I had 3 girls at my school named Sandy Hill, Anita Swallow & Teresa Green. We used to have a bit of a giggle when their names were called out.

One of my friends swears her dad worked with a guy who had the last name Mower & named his boys Lawn & Motor. Not sure how much truth is in that story though.

I have a child at my day care whose last name is Pashley. In Australia they call a French kiss a Pash. Poor child.

I probably could find more if I sat down & went through my year book & old class photos of my day care kids as well as my kids class photo's. Parents are extremely cruel these days. However kids can be just as cruel. My son is Dylan yet a common nickname he gets is Dil well lets say a non vibrating phallic object. It used to upset him but now he just goes with the flow & I gave him some nice comebacks for those who like to use it to tease him. They soon stopped.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Atlas.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
I have one, and I swear this is a real legal name, The Magic Poof, Poof is the last name.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:58 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Track, Trigg, Bristol, Piper!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Track, Trigg, Bristol, Piper!
I like Sarah Palin....but I have to admit that Piper Palin is a bit much.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM

My son has a kid at his school named Moon Bang. He is Korean I think he said I don't know he's Asian anyway & yes that's how it is pronounced. He apparently has a signature for his name where he draws a moon & a shooting gun instead of writing Moon Bang

Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM

I once worked with a young woman who was from another country, when her name was dirctly translated, it was SUPCOCK. She was TORTURED in school. She changed it when she was in HS (informally) and then formally when she turned 18. If you move to another country - you really gotta do right by your kid.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I once worked with a young woman who was from another country, when her name was dirctly translated, it was SUPCOCK. She was TORTURED in school. She changed it when she was in HS (informally) and then formally when she turned 18. If you move to another country - you really gotta do right by your kid.

And I just remembered, my sister had a boy from the Middle East in her HS whose name was "Fukity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting