Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:53 AM

4,484 posts, read 3,859,744 times

Advertisements

14-year-old refuses to go to school, threatens suicide if sent to school. Home-schooling is the only option at this point. Need to hire a learning coach to supervise his studies. Does anyone know the best way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I hope you are taking your child to a counselor. He/she needs some help with whatever he/she is going through.

I haven't been the home school route so no advice there.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,670 times
As far as hiring a learning coach, what is required and the resources available to you will vary by state. You may be able to enroll in an online school. Perhaps contacting the current school or school district offices would help. What does the school guidance counselor say?

Getting counseling for this child should take top priority. Do whatever you have to do. While school may be a huge factor in whatever is going on, removing the child from this school isn't going to fix the deeper issues.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks all for your concern and advice. Tough situation.
The child has been in therapy and on meds for years. Everyone (relatives, doctors, therapist, etc.) except me thinks the child is putting on a big act. Just to get out of going to school. Everyone thinks he is just being lazy and wants to stay home and use the iPad all day. I on the other hand am not interested in calling his bluff for obvious reasons. I do think he is depressed. Other than meds, therapy, docs, dunno what else can be done.

Anyway, need to find a learning/homeschool coach. The school says I need to find my own, hire one, etc.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Other than meds, therapy, docs, dunno what else can be done.
I'm not clear ... have you tried these ^^^?

At this point, while the schooling/educational aspect of your child's life is important, his mental and emotional health take precedence.

What about hospitalization? Has that been discussed?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I'm not clear ... have you tried these ^^^?

At this point, while the schooling/educational aspect of your child's life is important, his mental and emotional health take precedence.

What about hospitalization? Has that been discussed?

All of that (meds, docs, therapy) has been tried and is currently being done.

He also spent 3 weeks in a psych hospital last year.

None of this has lifted his depression. So much so that we are now to the point at which he just wants to stay in his room 24/7. Hence not wanting to go to school.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM

Just wondering, how common is this for you all? A child threatening suicide to avoid school? Anyone ever experienced this?
The docs/professionals tell me this is not uncommon whatsoever. The problem is determining if it's an authentic threat.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Just wondering, how common is this for you all? A child threatening suicide to avoid school? Anyone ever experienced this?
The docs/professionals tell me this is not uncommon whatsoever. The problem is determining if it's an authentic threat.
I have never experienced this. I would not believe it is common, to the point that I would blow it off as your doc may be doing.

I might look for another doctor.

What diagnoses has your son received?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I have never experienced this. I would not believe it is common, to the point that I would blow it off as your doc may be doing.

I might look for another doctor.

What diagnoses has your son received?
Yes I am in the process of doing that. But in the meantime he needs to start getting home schooled.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,556 times
What is the reason that he doesn't want to go?
Could it be social problems? Or learning problems? Probably 1 of those 2 I would think.

IMO you need to deal with the root cause, not the result of the root cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting