Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Kids have access nowadays to all manner of info on the Internet and their "manipulation toolbox" is much larger. They know how to lie and what to say and how to get themselves checked into a hospital to avoid school, life etc. This is what I'm hearing from so many people.

I just can't buy that this is all an act, tho.

I think I need to just find the right doc.
And probably limit/eliminate his internet access, if this ^^ is how you think he's using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Because they understand that your son legally has to attend school for a certain number of days. I get that too.

I guess they would tell you if your state had a cut-off date to register as a home-schooler and all that?

Have you asked the doc and the school counselor for recommendations for a learning coach? Are you financially prepared to pay for this?

What was the prognosis after his hospitalization? Did that settle YOUR concerns that he might be "faking"?

I thought to myself, OK, if he is faking, then the hospital stay would have cured him of that.

But it has not. Or I should say, he is still depressed.

School has left coach search to me. Will ask docs next week.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Do you know why he doesn't want to go to school? It seems that would be critical to working this out, and whether homeschooling will "solve" the issue(s).

Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do you know why he doesn't want to go to school? It seems that would be critical to working this out, and whether homeschooling will "solve" the issue(s).
He says he does not like the school environment but refuses to give specifics.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
He says he does not like the school environment but refuses to give specifics.
What do YOU deep down think is going on?

If you saw your son sitting on a park bench, like a stranger, what thoughts about him would pop into your head if you were just passing by?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What do YOU deep down think is going on?

If you saw your son sitting on a park bench, like a stranger, what thoughts about him would pop into your head if you were just passing by?

I think he is just severely depressed. And doesn't want to go to school, because he doesn't want to do much of anything, frankly.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:12 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
I think he is just severely depressed. And doesn't want to go to school, because he doesn't want to do much of anything, frankly.
This has to be difficult for you. Are you getting help individually to help you deal with this? I hope so.

If he doesn't want to do much of anything, homeschooling probably won't be the answer either.

As others have said, I would pull him off the ipad and internet. I would look at his diet also, how much sleep he is getting - it seems there needs to be a "comprehensive" approach to this problem. I doubt this is going to be a easy job for a homeschool coach if your son doesn't want to put the work into that either.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-suicidal-thou

https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/334240

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ration/534198/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1114091313.htm

If your son is suicidal, the meds need to be looked at ASAP!

A look at suicide and other risks associated with the use of antidepressants

Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Did you raise this child from infancy?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Did you raise this child from infancy?
Yes

Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Yes
Ok it really feels like there is a piece of the puzzle missing here.

Is this a two-parent household? Working outside the home? Are there other siblings present?

Are YOU or the other parent planning to be the home school teacher, or are you assuming this learning coach will do it? Do you know anything about home schooling?

What state do you live in?

There are companies like k12 that offer home school support, but I believe they train parents to be "learning coaches."

Was your son ever a good student, interested in school? You don't have ANY clue what it is about the school environment that he doesn't like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting