Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM

741 posts, read 1,289,232 times

Advertisements

Something very embarrassing happened today and I am happy for any advice on how to move past it. Today I left two separate voicemails, somewhat lengthy, on the answering machine for the Pediatric orthopedist detailing some changes I needed to upcoming appointments. I repeated phone numbers, birthdays, everything they asked me to leave in the voicemail and yet somehow they do not call me back. Instead they call the police thinking I'm drunk or in need of medical assistance and of course the police come out and cause consternation where my kids are now scared and not sure why the police are knocking on the door. Most bizarre over-reaction I have no idea why the person thought this other than maybe my voice sounded bad from a cold or who knows what I have no idea. I am very flummoxed by this and have no idea what to do now. Should I just pretend like this misunderstanding never happened and continue on scheduling and working with the orthopedist office? I just feel like I want to move along and find a new doctor as if I can never face them again. Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? I just wanted to move an appointment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Something very embarrassing happened today and I am happy for any advice on how to move past it. Today I left two separate voicemails, somewhat lengthy, on the answering machine for the Pediatric orthopedist detailing some changes I needed to upcoming appointments. I repeated phone numbers, birthdays, everything they asked me to leave in the voicemail and yet somehow they do not call me back. Instead they call the police thinking I'm drunk or in need of medical assistance and of course the police come out and cause consternation where my kids are now scared and not sure why the police are knocking on the door. Most bizarre over-reaction I have no idea why the person thought this other than maybe my voice sounded bad from a cold or who knows what I have no idea. I am very flummoxed by this and have no idea what to do now. Should I just pretend like this misunderstanding never happened and continue on scheduling and working with the orthopedist office? I just feel like I want to move along and find a new doctor as if I can never face them again. Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? I just wanted to move an appointment!
I have never heard of such a thing happening.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Yes I agree. I suppose that is why I feel like I can show my face there again but I need to tough it out because there is an upcoming surgery I still need to arrange with them for my daughter. This whole Fiasco is just so embarrassing I would rather just cancel everything with them and find another orthopedist though that might not be a best bet for the situation. I can either play it off like it never happened or maybe just say what I think and ask what the heck was that about? The police officer said the voicemail was full of nonsense words like "egg McMuffin" I have no idea what he was talking about and I'm totally embarrassed that somebody called the police on me for leaving two voicemails full of medical rescheduling information

Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. I suppose that is why I feel like I can show my face there again but I need to tough it out because there is an upcoming surgery I still need to arrange with them for my daughter. This whole Fiasco is just so embarrassing I would rather just cancel everything with them and find another orthopedist though that might not be a best bet for the situation. I can either play it off like it never happened or maybe just say what I think and ask what the heck was that about? The police officer said the voicemail was full of nonsense words like "egg McMuffin" I have no idea what he was talking about and I'm totally embarrassed that somebody called the police on me for leaving two voicemails full of medical rescheduling information
What exactly did the police say they were investigating? And what did they say before leaving?

Have you not spoken to anyone at the doctor's office? I would have had some stern words for them.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
I once called in sick, because of a severe migraine, and I left a detailed voice mail for my teacher's aide. Apparently when they heard it they were pretty concerned because I was not making sense, got a lot of information incorrect, etc. etc. But since they knew that I was calling because of a migraine, and my husband was home with me, they did not do anything except let me know the next day.

I was completely shocked as I had thought that I was perfectly clear and coherent when I left the message.

If your message was so incoherent that they called the police, thinking that it was a medical emergency I would not ignore it. I would ask them for more details and then contact my primary care physician. Actually since it is a Friday night, I would try to get more information from the police and maybe even go to the Emergency Room. Was there anyone at home when you made the calls? Did they notice anything unusual in your speech or behavior? Are you having any problems now?

I remember when my husband had a TIA/mini-stroke and was incoherent for a few minutes. I called the ambulance within five minutes and by the time that he reached the ER he sounded perfectly fine (even though I had clearly observed the symptoms of a stroke). He did not remember that he was incoherent nor did he remember having the other symptoms (slurred speech, drooling/weakness on one side, unsteadiness on his feet). He was hospitalized for six days.

BTW, my husband also could be incoherent if he missed taking his potassium medication. At least one time (the first time before we realized the importance), it was a life threatening emergency.

Of course, it could have just been a very bad phone connection or something like that, but I really doubt if a doctor's office would call the police unless they were truly worried about you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-04-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 PM

The police said an orthopedist office called them to do a well person check on me as they receive phone calls that sounded unintelligible and rambling as if I was having a medical emergency. The police officer said Well you certainly appear fine to me sorry about taking your time but at least the doctor office cared enough to check on you. I said to the police officer I will now be totally embarrassed to go back and work with that particular doctor's office. I theorized to the police officer that maybe something about my voice or my stuffy nose or my cell phone connection made the voicemail less than optimal but I am certainly stunned anyone called the police over it. I also expressed dismay to the police officer that they never attempted to call me back about my voicemails as far as I can see with my phone records. The police officer then left I think we were both confused.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I once called in sick, because of a severe migraine, and I left a detailed voice mail for my teacher's aide. Apparently when they heard it they were pretty concerned because I was not making sense, got a lot of information incorrect, etc. etc. But since they knew that I was calling because of a migraine, and my husband was home with me, they did not do anything except let me know the next day.

I was completely shocked as I had thought that I was perfectly clear and coherent when I left the message.

If your message was so incoherent that they called the police, thinking that it was a medical emergency I would not ignore it. I would ask them for more details and then contact my primary care physician. Actually since it is a Friday night, I would try to get more information from the police and maybe even go to the Emergency Room.

I remember when my husband had a TIA/mini-stroke and was incoherent. I called the ambulance within minutes and by the time that he reached the ER he sounded perfectly fine (even though I had clearly observed the symptoms of a stroke). He did not remember that he was incoherent nor did he remember having the other symptoms (slurred speech, drooling/weakness on one side, unsteadiness on his feet).
Wow that certainly is some scary food for thought I left the voicemail during a few minutes between several tasks at work and I certainly hope if I was in this state one of my nearby co-workers would have noticed however they are all as shocked as I am. However what you said is very interesting I have never considered that possibility. I did not call them back as I discovered the police were now looking for me only once I arrived home and the doctor office was shut. I suppose my best plan is to wait until Monday, call them, and just let them know there seems to have been some sort of drastic miscommunication

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 PM

461 posts, read 509,632 times
I would just call and try to get through or just go over there to make schedule changes and move on as if it didn't happen. Weird but no biggie.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
I wonder if they somehow mixed up your voice mail with somebody elses? I would call the doctors office and try to straighten it out. Perhaps ask them if you can hear the voicemail you left that caused them to be so concerned?

What a bizarre thing...

I would be embarrassed too, but I would definitely want to investigate further.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I would just call and try to get through or just go over there to make schedule changes and move on as if it didn't happen. Weird but no biggie.
Thank you I am torn between just pretending it did not happen and at least saying sooooo... how about those police officers LOL. I mean I know I don't have the voice of an American Idol, but I did not realize it was this bad hee-hee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting