Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So? I know all about mandated reporting. What does this have to do with child abuse? Someone slurring their words over the phone is meaningless. Their children might not even be home with them at the time.
Mandated reporting is required when someone believes someone is a victim of abuse, neglect, or exploitation or is a danger to themselves or others. There is no age cap on this. Typically states have an abuse hotline that people can call for people of any age- such as for an elderly person who might be abused in a nursing home, or for a developmentally disabled adult who is being exploited by a caregiver. Physicians/healthcare providers are also supposed to contact the appropriate authorities when they believe a person is a danger to herself or others, which typically means having the police do a wellness check to determine whether the person needs to be committed or put in a psychiatric hold.

If a person is slurring words and it is to the point where it appears that she is a danger to herself or others, the police may be contacted to do a wellness check. We also don’t know whether in the OP’s case, there was some interference in the background that might have been alarming.

Last edited by RamenAddict; 05-11-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If I were you, I'd talk to the orthopedist directly. And tell HIM what happened. He would probably be as mortified as you were.

I can relate...although my circumstances were not as extreme as what happened to you.

I was scheduled for an I.U.D. implant one time, and the office assistant called and talked to my mom. Told my mom ALL about it, in the process of supposed to be reminding me of my appointment.

I told my doctor. He was mortified. I could've potentially sued him. I just told him, "you might want to have a conversation with your assistant."
Well, obvi, that's different (much as I hate that term). This was not a case of the office giving medical information to anyone else.

Quote:
So? I know all about mandated reporting. What does this have to do with child abuse? Someone slurring their words over the phone is meaningless. Their children might not even be home with them at the time.
I don't think you do know all about mandated reporting, if you think phone calls don't carry evidence of possible abuse/neglect. Someone slurring their words is not "meaningless". And the police were sent out, as I understand it, for a "welfare check" not a potential child abuse situation. So what if the children "might" not be at home? Maybe they were. Maybe they were home and the mother wasn't. Etc, etc, etc. And to this day, we don't know what was said in those two phone calls. If the office had good reason to be concerned, they had a duty to intervene.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think you do know all about mandated reporting, if you think phone calls don't carry evidence of possible abuse/neglect. Someone slurring their words is not "meaningless". And the police were sent out, as I understand it, for a "welfare check" not a potential child abuse situation. So what if the children "might" not be at home? Maybe they were. Maybe they were home and the mother wasn't. Etc, etc, etc. And to this day, we don't know what was said in those two phone calls. If the office had good reason to be concerned, they had a duty to intervene.
I know someone who slurs all her words because she's had a stroke in the past. She's also a mother of young children. I'd hate to think people are always calling the police on her.

I do know about mandated reporting. For example, I know that literally anything can be reported, even a mere suspicion. You can be reported to CPS for having a messy house one day or sending some junk food in your kid's lunch at school. Once it's reported, CPS has to follow up even if they themselves think the allegations are irrelevant.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I know someone who slurs all her words because she's had a stroke in the past. She's also a mother of young children. I'd hate to think people are always calling the police on her.

I do know about mandated reporting. For example, I know that literally anything can be reported, even a mere suspicion. You can be reported to CPS for having a messy house one day or sending some junk food in your kid's lunch at school. Once it's reported, CPS has to follow up even if they themselves think the allegations are irrelevant.
Irrelevant. Where is the confirmation from the doctor's office that they sent the police out d/t slurred speech on the part of the OP? That is an assumption, and you know what happens when you *ass*u*me*. This thread has played out a lot of assumptions, including that of a newbie, rogue receptionist who totally on her own decided to call the police to do a welfare check. And this was not a child protection report, it was a welfare check.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:00 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If I were you, I'd talk to the orthopedist directly. And tell HIM what happened. He would probably be as mortified as you were.

I can relate...although my circumstances were not as extreme as what happened to you.

I was scheduled for an I.U.D. implant one time, and the office assistant called and talked to my mom. Told my mom ALL about it, in the process of supposed to be reminding me of my appointment.

I told my doctor. He was mortified. I could've potentially sued him. I just told him, "you might want to have a conversation with your assistant."
My sister went to the same kidney doctor as my mother. They both have PKD, a genetic kidney disease. The doctor mentioned that my mother had been there and actually showed my sister my mother's kidney scan.

Nothing came of it. I am not sure she ever told my mother or that my mother would care, but I was surprised that the doctor did that. That's a breach of confidentiality.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:

Not in my county. The calls are screened and not passed on to a social worker unless who ever screens the calls believes it is concerning enough to do so. They must get a lot of BS calls to have to do that. I wonder how many other DFS offices also do that?

Old 05-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister went to the same kidney doctor as my mother. They both have PKD, a genetic kidney disease. The doctor mentioned that my mother had been there and actually showed my sister my mother's kidney scan.

Nothing came of it. I am not sure she ever told my mother or that my mother would care, but I was surprised that the doctor did that. That's a breach of confidentiality.
Yes, it is a breach of confidentiality. I've learned that many older adults do not want their adult kids to know some of the finer details of their illnesses.

I do have a couple of questions. 1) Did this happen recently, say in the past 10 years or so, or a number of years ago? 2) Did the doctor have a long-standing relationship with both your mom and sister when this happened?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it is a breach of confidentiality. I've learned that many older adults do not want their adult kids to know some of the finer details of their illnesses.

I do have a couple of questions. 1) Did this happen recently, say in the past 10 years or so, or a number of years ago? 2) Did the doctor have a long-standing relationship with both your mom and sister when this happened?
1) it was within the last three years. Mom started dialysis in August 2015, and it was a couple of months before that.

2) yes. They both have PKD and use the same doctor group. Mom was diagnosed 40 years ago, my sister about 10 or so.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
1) it was within the last three years. Mom started dialysis in August 2015, and it was a couple of months before that.

2) yes. They both have PKD and use the same doctor group. Mom was diagnosed 40 years ago, my sister about 10 or so.
1) Interesting and a little surprising. I have to say, in the past few years, we health care providers have gotten more careful about that stuff, and not assumed so much about it being OK to discuss a family member"s issues. As I said, I learned, just through being a "parish nurse" at my church doing blood pressures, that many older people don't want their grown kids knowing their business.

2) OK, so the doc has a long relationship with your mom. He may have thought (wrongly) that mom wouldn't mind him talking about her with your sis.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
OP, Glad you called and spoke to the office manager about it and glad to hear that she is looking into it. I find it odd that they didn’t try to call you back before calling the police. I would want to hear the voicemail to hear what it was so concerning to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting