Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So? I know all about mandated reporting. What does this have to do with child abuse? Someone slurring their words over the phone is meaningless. Their children might not even be home with them at the time.
Slurred speech can be a symptom of a stroke. Whoever took the call might have been concerned about that whether or not there were children at home.

OP, do you remember speaking clearly into the phone even though you were whispering or speaking in a low tone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Slurred speech can be a symptom of a stroke. Whoever took the call might have been concerned about that whether or not there were children at home.

OP, do you remember speaking clearly into the phone even though you were whispering or speaking in a low tone?
True but the police didn’t even make contact with the op until 5 hours after the call so if they were trluly worried that she was in imminent danger, they might have wanted to call her first to see where she was and if she was ok.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:22 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
True but the police didn’t even make contact with the op until 5 hours after the call so if they were trluly worried that she was in imminent danger, they might have wanted to call her first to see where she was and if she was ok.
This is what is so revealing to me. If they were truly concerned it seems they would have called 911 right away, in fact. Rather than the police. And made that call very soon.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
This is what is so revealing to me. If they were truly concerned it seems they would have called 911 right away, in fact. Rather than the police. And made that call very soon.
There you go again, reading all sorts of stuff into this. The police were called to do a welfare check, not to make an emergency visit. OP left her messages about 1 PM and the police stopped by some time that afternoon when no one was home, according to a neighbor who spoke to the police, which is more than any of us on here other than the OP have done, and then the OP encountered them at about 6 PM.

A welfare check is not the same as a 911 call, and yes, it's the police you call when you call 911. The office had concerns, hence they called for the welfare check. It would have been a lot worse for the OP if they had called CPS.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I didn't know police did welfare checks. I thought those were done by adult protective services or child protective services.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 AM

The office could have just called the op back and asked if she was ok. Calling 911 as a first resort seems like an over reaction.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I didn't know police did welfare checks. I thought those were done by adult protective services or child protective services.
Police do welfare checks. This just doesn’t happen to be a very typical use of them.

For example, someone might call the police to do a welfare check if they can’t get a hold of someone and that person has also missed work and the person calling can’t go over and check on them themselves. Or someone might call and ask for a welfare check if they know someone might be in danger, for instance, someone threatens suicide.

In this scenario, the office didn’t even know where the op was (work? Home? Where?) yet they called the police to have them check on the op without trying to contact her first and only after hearing what they considered to be a strange voicemail message. It’s a pretty weird first course of action.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
According to the OP, cops did arrive at her home right away. But she was at work, so they came by in the early evening and found her at home at that time.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
According to the OP, cops did arrive at her home right away. But she was at work, so they came by in the early evening and found her at home at that time.
So wouldn’t it have made more sense for the office to call the op first, and see if she was ok and then if they still had concerns ask the op where she was and then call for help?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
So wouldn’t it have made more sense for the office to call the op first, and see if she was ok and then if they still had concerns ask the op where she was and then call for help?
Well, I certainly agree with that. I think this was really odd of someone in the doc's office to take this extreme step.

Hoping the OP comes back with an update once the office manager finished figuring out what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting