Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Thank you very much for writing this post, it actually sums up exactly why I am embarrassed but was unable to put in words. I am such a normal low-key person and I care, I suppose maybe too much, that I am at least making a decent impression on those around me. I have this horrible feeling that even once we move past this, there will be those in the dr office with these now tinged memories of my Persona if that makes sense haha. Also I am the epitome of a goody-two-shoes, so having the police come to my door is something that rocks my world.
I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that once the surgery and follow-ups are done, I should not have to see any of these people again.
You are assuming that they called because they thought you could be drunk or something but I work in health care, they wouldn't call because they thought you were drunk or on drugs, that's not going to be a concern for a doctor's office. They would call because they were concerned for your physical health and thought you could be in immenent danger. I don't know why they called. Most likely, your voice sounded strange and they thought it could be a stroke. Maybe the person who called had a family member who recently had a stroke or something. Maybe the message had a lot of interference from something.

Police do well checks all the time to make sure someone is alive and healthy. I understand it's jarring but this has nothing to do with breaking the law and there's no need to look at it that way.

I would try to consider this a funny story for the future. If any of my neighbors or friends came to me with this story we would all have a laugh over it. I would never hold you responsible or think it was your fault. Someone seriously over reacted. They should have called you back and not rushed to call the police but it sounds like they were truly worried you could be ill.

Last edited by detshen; 05-05-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 12:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Is any of that available to the public? I'd like to know the whole story. Message me, if you want.
Done. Look in your direct messages.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Ask for a replay on the voice mail.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:39 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Now I will say what I came back here to say originally. I had a "Eureka" moment, not in the bathtub but in the laundry room. I was thinking about what stan4 said "I am super impressed they cared enough". I got to thinking, this is a pediatric orthopedist office and peds care about kids. Then the epiphany happened. Pediatricians are mandatory reporters for child welfare. If they thought something was going on, they were required to call the police. In this case, they may have made an error in judgement, but how many times are doctors and other health care providers criticized for ignoring these kind of concerns?
[url]http://www.aappublications.org/content/36/5/1.1[/url.

Ahah! Dang! Thanks for pointing this out. Yes I agree.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
OP please update us if/when you find out what exactly went through their minds, what was going on, and if you heard the recording, how it sounded. I'm very curious about this.

I imagine there must have been bad reception or some other tech issue going on here, and I can't imagine your voice alone, hoarse from being sick and speaking lowly, would have made them so concerned to call 911. And I think that if you were having some type of medical episode, your colleagues may have noticed (I believe you said you sit close to other people, and were trying to keep your voice down). If this all happened around 1 pm, I do think it would have been nice for the office to call you back at some point yesterday afternoon just to check up on you themselves and return your call.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
(I believe you said you sit close to other people, and were trying to keep your voice down). If this all happened around 1 pm, I do think it would have been nice for the office to call you back at some point yesterday afternoon just to check up on you themselves and return your call.
Since the OP was whispering, and left two messages in a row, it would be so weird if this was a variation of the "Call 911 and order a pizza if you're being threatened with domestic violence..." story.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ca...ask-911-pizza/

I still wonder why the doctor's office never followed up about the surgery though.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
This occurred on Friday - if there is only one surgery scheduler in the office - they may not have had time to call back the same day. Scheduling and co-ordinating a surgery is not a quick easy task - and if the daughter's surgery wasn't for another few weeks - there is no need to call back the same day. I'm sure they'll get a call on Monday so they can reschedule.

Until you walk in a person's shoes - you have no idea what they're job entails. Everyone is too quick to start the blame
game - when we weren't there and have no idea of what really transpired. We have no idea if the office did try to return a call that was missed or erased. I can't tell you the times that our phone service and computer service went down - making us all scramble for our personal phones. I don't take calls from numbers I don't know because many telemarketers now use their personal phones.

I understand about the OP being embarrassed and initially it is upsetting when the police show up to your door - but there is an explanation for it and she should just calmly ask when she next goes in. This does not have anything to do with the doctor's expertise or the care her daughter will get.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,232 times
OK, here is the update. I called and left a VM (LOL) for call back. I requested the office manager call me. So she did call back in a very short time and sounded very nice. She was completely stunned sounding and was unaware that a call to the police was generated from her office staff on Friday, she's having to "research" it and will be back with me. There's the update so sorry it's not more interesting! I will keep updating when I have more information.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
OK, here is the update. I called and left a VM (LOL) for call back. I requested the office manager call me. So she did call back in a very short time and sounded very nice. She was completely stunned sounding and was unaware that a call to the police was generated from her office staff on Friday, she's having to "research" it and will be back with me. There's the update so sorry it's not more interesting! I will keep updating when I have more information.
Thanks for the update, and that's exactly what I think most of us thought would happen - that it was some rogue person in the office and not a consensus of concern.

Glad you're clearing it up, and they are treating you with respect!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
How bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting