Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is this a private school? Hard to imagine a public school with that class size, not to mention one where all the students could afford a trip like that.
My kids go to public school and have similar class sizes.

I have no idea what type of class trips will come once my kids get to middle or high school but I'm sure there are lots of public schools where this could be a normal trip. I wouldn't be surprised if overseas trips were offered in our school district or the districts to the north of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
My kids go to public school and have similar class sizes.

I have no idea what type of class trips will come once my kids get to middle or high school but I'm sure there are lots of public schools where this could be a normal trip. I wouldn't be surprised if overseas trips were offered in our school district or the districts to the north of us.
I'm not talking about an individual class, it sounded like that poster was saying the entire 8th grade was 27 kids.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,884,909 times
Posting from my own memories of school field trips. I don't remember much about field trips in grades K thru 4. I don't think there were many; oftentimes, the teachers "brought the field trip to the school", like arranging for musicians to do a show in the gym. Field trips in grades 5 thru 8, however, weren't much to write home about, although better than a day (more like half a day) at school. If my parents held me back, I'd be ticked off, but in retrospect, wouldn't have missed out on much; although I'm sure my classmates would hype it up just to give me a hard time.

First off, for about a week before the trip, teachers would "hold it hostage": one tiny infraction, like talking in the hallway (we switched classrooms "as a team"), would get the field trip canceled, all on one teacher's whim. With multiple teachers, the odds of a field trip getting canceled were very high. Second, more often than not, we'd see at most 25% of whatever museum we went to; that said, Chicago museums are big, so that's not unexpected. Third, it was the 90's, so that meant one thing: those preachy, nauseatingly repetitive, borderline-hypocritical D.A.R.E. campaigns at every... single... field trip. Don't get me wrong: a few field trips were gems. But most were like the above.

High school field trips were few and far between, happening twice a year at most. But what lacked in frequency was made up in quality. One time, we saw a play at a community theater, with snacks afterwards (nice ones, too); it was in the evening, so half the students slept on the bus ride home. Another time, we went to a Jewish museum to commemorate the Holocaust. And of course, the ubiquitous Physics Day field trip to Six Flags. The teacher knew who he was dealing with, so all he required was a one-page report on the ride of our choice.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about an individual class, it sounded like that poster was saying the entire 8th grade was 27 kids.
Gotcha. If so, I'd suspect either a private school or a rural small town.

And my math skills are off after the long weekend , my kids' classes are closer to 16-18 kids.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,137,714 times
There were two field trips this week at school and my grandaughter didn't get to go to either one because she got a C in one of her classes. Now this was the school not her parents that refused to let her go. I think that is outrageous. Next year she will be homeschooled. The schools here are some of the worst in the country.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:41 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
I guess if you were to do it from a disciplinary perspective, that makes sense.

But from a safety perspective, or morality perspective, or cost perspective (assuming you aren't truly poor,) I'd generally avoid it.

"Everyone else is doing it" is a poor justification for things with a moral or ethical component to them, but really, often there is no good reason to overthink the pedestrian, banal workings of everyday life.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Posting from my own memories of school field trips. I don't remember much about field trips in grades K thru 4. I don't think there were many; oftentimes, the teachers "brought the field trip to the school", like arranging for musicians to do a show in the gym. Field trips in grades 5 thru 8, however, weren't much to write home about, although better than a day (more like half a day) at school. If my parents held me back, I'd be ticked off, but in retrospect, wouldn't have missed out on much; although I'm sure my classmates would hype it up just to give me a hard time.
Similarly, I don't remember much about them. But I do remember when I was prevented from doing something with the rest of the class/everyone else. Those stand out. I was never prevented from going on a field trip, but other much less significant things stand out.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Is this a private school? Hard to imagine a public school with that class size, not to mention one where all the students could afford a trip like that.
My kids are in a public school and have a similar trip going on right now. It isn't a whole class or the whole school, but whoever wants to go and can pay.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:14 PM

133 posts, read 87,883 times
Who would've thought a thread about school field trips would be more contentious than the political section!

Old 05-29-2018, 02:33 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,362,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She did tell us. It's a hypothetical question asked out of idle curiosity, not based on anything she's facing with her own family or anyone else she knows.
If it was a hypothetical, then why did she say later in the the thread that her child would not be attending the field trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting