Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM

50 posts, read 190,635 times

Advertisements

In this day and age, many summer camps ban cell phones, Gameboys, Walkmans, iPods, and other electronic gadgets because it is deemed that electronic gadgets involve solitary and sedentary activities that clash with what camp is all about: developing social skills, building community, sharing traditions, writing old-fashioned letters (handwritten letters as opposed to typed letters or emails), appreciating nature, and being physically active. They also say that the whole point of camp is to get away from everything. Does the same logic apply to camping with your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
I go camping with my family all the time. I ban all electronics except the phone which typically isnt used. Although I will admit we did put a tv and dvd player in the camper a year ago and I hve recently let the kids start bringing their gameboys. Neither one of those are allowd to be used except during prolonged bad weather. We have been hit several times with 1-2 days of constant rain. And although all of us love each other a camper can get a little to cozy during times like that. I will let them break it up with a movie at the end of the night ( we bought some of the old $1 movies like andy griffith and leave it to beaver) and will let them spend an hour or so playing their game boys. and of course we have the board games and books.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I would say yes, but its your trip and your family, do what you want.
My family did a lot of camping when I was a kid. When I was a kid, there were no electronic gadgets. LOL. We did finially get a camper, but there was not TV in it. We always had a great time without all that stuff.

I see all these big fancy campers with TV, DVDs, microwaves, Steros, laptops, etc. etc. and I think whats the point. Just stay home and BBQ in the back yard!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,265,264 times
The thought of camping with my family makes me twitch!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
The thought of camping with my family makes me twitch!
I'm with you. We do a pseudo camping trip w/my sister-in-law's family at an old neighbors home in the middle of nowhere PA. Thank God I'm pregnant and will miss this year's trip.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,066 times
When I go out camping with friends we don't bring electronics except for a jukebox and cellphones (which are rarely used due to bad reception)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Our version of camping is backcountry camping - so no gadgets. For one thing, space is premium in the backpacks and second, cell phones wouldn't even work where we go. In fact, even when we do regular tent camping at campsites, our cell phones don't usually work. We take books or a game - otherwise it's hiking/sitting around a campfire, etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM

431 posts, read 1,641,949 times
when i went camping with my parents the only electronic we took was the radio. When I take my kids camping for the 1st time i am going to bring my cell and radio for electronics. but someday I would like to get a pop up or travel trailer so my husband will go along with us (my sister and her kids and my mom)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
My mom asked us last year if we wanted to go camping with them over Labor Day.

I'm never roughing it at that hotel in the woods again! Mosquito bites every time I went out on the balcony!

Yes, that's the closest my family has ever come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting