Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 07:17 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,945,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
OMG that is hilarious, not just locks, but TIME locks !!!!
i thought our house was bad as a kid because my mom had a glass cookie jar with a glass lid and we could never open it secretly to get a cookie because the glass lid clinked and she could hear it from anywhere in the house (we had a very small house).

the only locked up stuff i heard of was when my kids told me (their dad and i divorced when they were little) that over at their dad's house, wife #2 locked up all the plates and dishes and she would not let the kids use any of the dishes. they had one plate each and one drinking glass each and they were required to wash their own plate and dish and not use any of the dishes which were locked up. I said what's with that. He said she did not like them taking food into their rooms to eat and leaving the dishes in there, so she locked up all the dishes. weird. when all the dishes were dirty they would wash the dishes, it made sense to them. however she did not approve of that either so that was her punishment. oh and they lived in a home that cost over 1.2 million dollars, and that was back in the 1990s.

My eldest son is now grown and when I went to his house there was one cupboard that was off limits to everyone except him. I opened it and looked in it, it had one clean plate and one clean glass and one clean bowl, that no one could use except him. I said what's with that. He said (he was sharing the house with his two brothers at the time) his brothers never did the dishes and when all the dishes in the house got dirty, he would have his one clean plate always ready to use. So they seem to have retained a variation of the bizarreness they grew up with.

Wife #2 appears to have gotten even stranger and has taken the kitchen vendetta to more bizarre heights. They went to visit their dad and wife #2 (now living in the 3.2 million dollar home in Hawaii) and they stayed for a week, and they were forbidden from using the entire kitchen . The whole kitchen was off limits. Now they were invited for a family gathering, 5 grown kids, with their wives and girlfriends, and no one was allowed to use the kitchen. Not for heating take out food, not for boiling water for tea, not for microwaving a bowl of oatmeal or making a piece of toast in the toaster, not if they promised to wash and clean after every meal. NOPE. off limits.

IDK, I'd say the wives are smart. I have always had an open kitchen policy (since the kids were old enough to cook or warm up leftovers). The kids, grandkids, nephews, all their friends have been allowed to eat whatever, whenever. I have a sign in the kitchen that says all night diner. I cook a lot so almost always have something in the fridge. But seems I'm always cooking, washing dishes or straightening the kitchen. A lot of the kids friends parents had closed kitchens. Getting in the fridge was a serious offense.
But secretly I have always wished for a closed kitchen with a locking door. I would have the only key that I would wear around my neck at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,645,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
As of yesterday, the pediatrician still hadn't received the lab results, and it's been well over a week. Grandson is all better now, and ready to start Kindergarten the last week of August. I'm going there to babysit today through Sunday night (I go back to work on Tuesday), and if I find out the results I'll post it.
Thanks for the update...still curious about this.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,922,571 times
When I was a toddler, a family who lived in the same apartment building gave their three year old identical twin daughters one piece of candy corn per day - if they were good. I only vaguely remember the little girls - Mary and Marjorie, little blondes, about a year older than I was - but my parents talked about that candy corn for years afterwards.

Of course, those same parents - mine - also told me candy was just for grown-ups, so I had no idea what candy corn even was until I was four or five!

(My parents also spelled out ice cream, until I figured out what "I-C-E..." meant and hollered out "Ice cream!!" - that was the last time they tried the spelling trick).

Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
As of yesterday, the pediatrician still hadn't received the lab results, and it's been well over a week. Grandson is all better now, and ready to start Kindergarten the last week of August. I'm going there to babysit today through Sunday night (I go back to work on Tuesday), and if I find out the results I'll post it.
Doc needs to get pro-active and call the lab.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,364,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
When I was a toddler, a family who lived in the same apartment building gave their three year old identical twin daughters one piece of candy corn per day - if they were good. I only vaguely remember the little girls - Mary and Marjorie, little blondes, about a year older than I was - but my parents talked about that candy corn for years afterwards.

Of course, those same parents - mine - also told me candy was just for grown-ups, so I had no idea what candy corn even was until I was four or five!

(My parents also spelled out ice cream, until I figured out what "I-C-E..." meant and hollered out "Ice cream!!" - that was the last time they tried the spelling trick).

My MIL took away DD's cousins' bags of Halloween Trick or Treat candy and locked it up when she was staying at their house. She didn't approve of Halloween or trick or treating (for religious reasons) and never let her own kids have candy. She only let the cousins have one piece of it every few days (it was always, "When Grandma's here, we go by Grandma's rules". That didn't fly when she was at MY house). When my kids came in from Trick or Treat, I'd examine the candy, and after that it was a free for all. "Eat whatever you want, but don't get sick, and brush your teeth afterwards". SIL ended up having to throw out her kids' candy...it got stale because Grandma wouldn't let them eat it. I couldn't understand why they had to go by "Grandma's rules" when it wasn't her house.

Easter time, she'd be notably disapproving, but mercifully kept her mouth shut about the baskets full of candy the Easter Bunny brought my kids. She frowned on the Easter Bunny, too.

DD does let my grandson have a particular kind of candy...it's an organic chocolate truffle sweetened with honey. He goes trick or treating, but she and her DH replace the candy he gets with chocolate truffles, raisins, dried organic fruit, fruit leather, and Lara bars. Then THEY eat his replaced Halloween candy...the Butterfingers, Nestles Crunch, Reeses, Rollos, etc. (and give what they don't like to me).

I once got in trouble for giving him waffles. We had family visiting, and I made Belgian waffles with strawberries for breakfast. I didn't think waffles were on the forbidden list...they weren't candy or cookies...but they weren't made with organic ingredients (well, the maple syrup was organic). I know, I should have asked before hand. I won't make that mistake again.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-17-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I know a similar child going to start Junior Kindergarten soon. As a very, very special treat he is allowed three M & M candies. His parents keep the M & Ms, and other treats, in a time release cookie jar that can only be opened 24 hours after the lid is closed. They also store almond butter (like peanut butter) and other things in a sealed metal tin, with a combination lock so the kids can't get it open. Yes, a combination lock.

Yes, I also anticipate fun times when he starts public school.
After reading the additional posts about all those crazy parents and their food restrictions I realize that this family is not that crazy after all (at least compared to some of those other parents that I read about on this thread). While they are strict vegetarians at home. I do recall that they mentioned that in social situations, such as a birthday party, if a vegetarian option is not available they have allowed their children to just eat whatever is available, such as hot dogs or peperoni pizza. And, yes, they are allowed to have a piece of birthday cake, too. A lot of their friends are also vegetarians so it really has not been too big of a problem so far.

Perhaps school will not be quite as bad as I thought. We will see.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
(snip)

DD does let my grandson have a particular kind of candy...it's an organic chocolate truffle sweetened with honey. He goes trick or treating, but she and her DH replace the candy he gets with chocolate truffles, raisins, dried organic fruit, fruit leather, and Lara bars. Then THEY eat his replaced Halloween candy...the Butterfingers, Nestles Crunch, Reeses, Rollos, etc. (and give what they don't like to me).
To me, not letting your child eat his Halloween candy and then eating it yourself does not seem right. Don't the parents "practice what they preach" about healthy eating?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
To me, not letting your child eat his Halloween candy and then eating it yourself does not seem right. Don't the parents "practice what they preach" about healthy eating?
I think that is pretty messed up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2018, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Wish I could rep you again! But yes, I agree. And you know, I thought I had a pretty good "balance" in my kids' diets, but they got to school and learned about all kinds of stuff I never bought/made. That's the nature of the beast.

I don't like to predict "gloom and doom" because a parent or parents don't do things my way, either. (Directed at all the posters, not you specifically, germaine.)

Old 08-17-2018, 11:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Next it will be that the bathrooms are off limits. Everyone must use the outhouse in the back. Bring your own tp.
I laughed out loud! The most famous family story in my father's family is the following:

Every house in town had an outhouse, theirs was in the backyard near the edge of a ravine. The town finally got public sewage extended to their street, and everyone was required to have an indoor toilet and to cease using the privy.

My grandfather installed the mandated toilet....and then refused to let the family use it! So, they all were slinking out to the outhouse (probably to the amusement of the neighbors.) There were 7 or eight kids in the family, and one day the second oldest, a hefty teenager, shoved a plank under the privy and over a log and was bouncing on it. He even enticed a younger brother, lamed by polio to hop on behind. The ancient privy was shuddering when my grandmother caught sight of them out the kitchen window. She sneaked across the yard, hopped on at the right moment and the outhouse teetered over into the ravine.

She and the lame boy fled, leaving her teenager holding the bag.

Long story short, there was going to be bloody hell to pay, but as her older son was about to get the strap she stage-managed her lame child into the room with a dramatic confession that he alone had done it.

My grandfather was totally disbelieving, of course, but faced with a confessing little villain and two solemn witnesses, he had to swallow it all. And for that son punishment was not on the menu.

Indoor plumbing had finally triumphed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting