Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

The family of my daughter's classmate named Abcde did not speak English as a first language. In this Wikipedia article, it says the name is more often used in Hispanic American families, so maybe it's a cultural tradition that we are not aware of yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abcde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I hate to stereotype, but ... I doubt it's a family tradition:

https://abc7.com/travel/oc-southwest...-name/4784236/

Old 11-29-2018, 07:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Yeah, the employee was rude and shouldn't have done what he did. But what's going to happen when kid starts elementary school. Mom's fault, kind of

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-46390368

A last name in my family can be made fun of. I asked my second cousin if she had problems growing up with that last name. She said at first. Then she got thick skin and then learned to not take so seriously, even played into the jokes. She is hilarious btw. Also told me about some of the t-shirts worn at family reunion, I'm a Dick. Yes, her last name is Dick. Use your imagination.
I had a student with this name. She thought it was cool and had no issues with other kids. She pronounced it ab-SA-d.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One time they were joking on local radio about the name and my husband was bored, so he called in and said his daughter went to school with someone with that name. They offered him a t-shirt if he could prove it, so he took my daughter's kindergarten class photo with all the names listed at the bottom to the radio station, and they gave him the shirt.

Your husband spent time going to a radio station to prove a girl was named "Abcde" to get a t-shirt?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Regardless of it is a horrible name, what the employee did was horrific! I am surprised she wasn’t fired. Let’s nit victim blame in this one.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Let’s not victim blame in this one.
The employee definitely was wrong. No doubt about it. But the real victim is the little girl whose mom made her life ten times harder by giving her a name that will always be a source of ridicule.

How would you like to go through life feeling like flinching every.single.time someone says (or tries to say) your name?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But at least with the Samoan name, they did it because of tradition. It was part of the mother's culture. I doubt Abcde is a traditional name in anyone's family, and it is definitely not cultural.
Oh, it definitely was traditional, and I'm not knocking the name on those grounds at all. The translation of the name was quite charming. It's just that it's so unwieldy, and no one who isn't Samoan is ever going to be able to pronounce it. But I agree with you that Abcde has a lot less rationale!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
IDK, after hearing it pronounced, and reading some of the (limited) history behind it, it's not the silliest name I've ever heard. It kind of rolls off the tongue. Presumably this child had two parents, yet the mother is called the moron, as usual. In any case, the airline representative was wrong.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The employee definitely was wrong. No doubt about it. But the real victim is the little girl whose mom made her life ten times harder by giving her a name that will always be a source of ridicule.

How would you like to go through life feeling like flinching every.single.time someone says (or tries to say) your name?
Live it daily. I grew up with an unusual name. This one, definitely takes the cake. If the daughter hates it that badly she can change it as an adult. She may love it for being unique! We’re imposing our views on it.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Live it daily. I grew up with an unusual name. This one, definitely takes the cake. If the daughter hates it that badly she can change it as an adult. She may love it for being unique! We’re imposing our views on it.
When I'm around people, in person, I try very hard to "meet them where they're at" and I'm ALWAYS surprised at how many adults don't even try but will make a big fuss out of anything different ... "Goll-ee is that your name!!!?? Dang, that is different. I never heard that name before! What kinda name is that?"

I have a very normal hard-to-mess-up first name with a maiden name that would be mispronounced 9 out of ten times. It gets SO old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting