Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
All of us (me, my husband, my almost-18-year-old and my 15 year old) use Life360 on our phones. I don't think there's anything pathological about it. We all travel at various times to various places, often without each other, and it's reassuring to know that if something happened, my family would know the last place I was or I'd know the last place my kid was. I don't think it's really about tracking the person, more of a safety backup.

My answer would be different if mom was texting the kid saying, "Why were you at this address until 10 pm and why didn't you go straight home? What did you buy at the gas station?" That type of tracking would be over the top.
I agree with this. I know my husband's Apple ID and he knows mine. Our almost 12 year old got an iPhone for Christmas and when we set up her Apple ID, we told her that her Father and I must have access to that information for not just safety reasons, but to observe content, usage etc. Of course, an 18 year old who no longer lives at home is a whole different situation.

I don't envision tracking her every move like described above, I think something like that would create trust issues and make any person (regardless of age) inclined to hide things they are doing from people they should ideally have open communications with. And the idea of having extended family or friend's info to track their phone also seems really over the top to me.

Incidentally, since the ability to do this is reliant upon you having log on information for the other person, that individual could easily bypass this by changing their password could they not?

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 12-28-2018 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
You can do Friends and Family or something on iPhone and yes, each person can opt out. We are a family where most have iPhones and one has an Android, so we use Life360, which is not dependent on one particular system.

I could see that if an adult was single, they might want another adult to be able to know where they had last been in case of emergency. So if I weren't married, I might ask my parents, my brother, or a close friend to set up that sort of app with me. Even if they disabled it on their own phone but could log in to my account if they hadn't heard from me in a while or if they couldn't get hold of me. I think this sort of thing is just a sign of the times and not anything crazy (though of course we did survive before this was even a thing).

Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
1: the phone would need to be sutured to the teens body. Otherwise it's a device sitting someplace. Get it?
2: is the teen secretive? Short on making safe decisions? There is little detail conveyed to determine if this young teen is : medically challenged. .epilepsy comes to mind. Or suicidal.
I tend to think parents seeking a way to stay in touch goes to the bigger picture of the overall welfare of the young adult and the environment.

Most assume from this post that at 18 the person is miraculously healthy ...intelligent and immune from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Unless the kid gets another phone they use "for real" then yes, the phone that they use IS sutured to their body...not in their pocket or their purse, but literally in their hand every.single.second.

That said, parents have to let their kids loose at some point so they can live their own life - and just as much so the parents can also regain their OWN lives - healthiest for all involved.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times
Quote:
All of us (me, my husband, my almost-18-year-old and my 15 year old) use Life360 on our phones. I don't think there's anything pathological about it. We all travel at various times to various places, often without each other, and it's reassuring to know that if something happened, my family would know the last place I was or I'd know the last place my kid was. I don't think it's really about tracking the person, more of a safety backup.

My answer would be different if mom was texting the kid saying, "Why were you at this address until 10 pm and why didn't you go straight home? What did you buy at the gas station?" That type of tracking would be over the top.
But how do you feel if the parent was checking daily to see their kids location? But I believe with the "find the find my phone" the kid can tell if the parent is checking their location or is it not alerted on the kids phone?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
You can do Friends and Family or something on iPhone and yes, each person can opt out. We are a family where most have iPhones and one has an Android, so we use Life360, which is not dependent on one particular system.

I could see that if an adult was single, they might want another adult to be able to know where they had last been in case of emergency. So if I weren't married, I might ask my parents, my brother, or a close friend to set up that sort of app with me. Even if they disabled it on their own phone but could log in to my account if they hadn't heard from me in a while or if they couldn't get hold of me. I think this sort of thing is just a sign of the times and not anything crazy (though of course we did survive before this was even a thing).
Yes in case of an emergency I think it's reasonable but not to monitor a 18yr olds whereabouts and actions. Under 18 I insisted on having full access to the phone and all social media and email accounts.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Since you mentioned it, I took a look at the Life 360 app. It has 4.8 stars out of almost 300K reviews. Not sure I've ever seen any app with reviews like that, so there are clearly a lot of people who use it and like it.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times
Clarifications - It's more for in the case the parent can't get in touch with the kid( she's away at college) and/or emergency she can locate. Not tracking the kids every move. I think there's a difference.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Clarifications - It's more for in the case the parent can't get in touch with the kid( she's away at college) and/or emergency she can locate. Not tracking the kids every move. I think there's a difference.
The parents are being disingenuous. If they can't get in touch with her, what does it show other than where the phone is? It provides no information as to whether she's safe or not.

In our house one daughter has it and must have it on because she has shown she needs that accountability. The older one (still in college) doesn't, but must have it on when she's travelling, hauling her horse, etc.

I think it has its uses, but someone who's away at college should be allowed to be at college without her parents tracking her whereabouts.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I would wonder about the parents if they insisted on that.

The freshman year is when students find their wings. You grow SO MUCH in that first semester, and learn so much about life and develop your abilities and self-discipline.

No, mom, back off.

(I would feel differently if she had a history of depression and was at real risk for not going to classes or even leaving her dorm room, which happens with surprising frequency to college freshmen).

Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I think it is over the top. At 18 and going off to college it is time to cut the cord. Besides that, is there anyone here who thinks for a second that a psycho that might would abduct an 18 year old is not smart enough to take their phone and dispose of it before heading to wherever they may be planning on taking them? I would think that would be the first thing they would do.

Now the bad news to all you parents that think you are keeping up with your teenagers whereabouts with tracking apps like Life360. It takes all of about two minutes for them to set up spoofing for their gps location. Once set up, it takes them a few seconds to set their location to wherever they want it to be. They can set it to say they are at their friends house and then jump in the car with their friend and go running about freely wherever they feel like and as far as you know, they were at their friends house all night long. lol Pretty much all teenagers know about it and they either already know how to do it or can find out how in 15 minutes. Most everyone technologically advanced has know about gps spoofing for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting