Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

An excellent article about this ongoing, albeit pointless argument. Time to put this one to rest, and focus on much more important parenting issues.

Quote:
And we think men are obsessed with breasts? Geez, can we possibly call a time-out on the mom vs. mom breast-feeding wars?

...we face decisions on an almost daily basis about what is best for our kids. Some things that sound good we do, some we don't, and that's okay. Life is never perfect. We cannot prevent (or even predict) all risks down the road.

Our culture makes it sound as if accepting even a tiny risk is evil, but it's not. It's life. Let's quit beating our breasts -- and everyone else's -- about it.
Enough With the Breast-feeding Wars! - ParentDish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
An excellent article about this ongoing, albeit pointless argument. Time to put this one to rest, and focus on much more important parenting issues.

I agree with you on this. I successfully breast-fed 5 kids and I will probably always encourage new Mom's to try it, but not everyone can or for that matter wants to, who am I to tell someone I know what is best for them and their babies.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I agree with you on this. I successfully breast-fed 5 kids and I will probably always encourage new Mom's to try it, but not everyone can or for that matter wants to, who am I to tell someone I know what is best for them and their babies.
Exactly. I breastfed both my children, and it's cheap, and convenient, and healthy....and it was my choice. I will always be a breastfeeding advocate, but it's just one of many decisions parents have to make.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

AMEN!! I tried to breastfeed my son for three weeks after his birth. But he just couldn't latch on properly and I was in too much pain from my c-section. He did just fine with the bottle and it helped when my husband fed him while I rested.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I was a bottle baby and think boobies are for sexual stimulation! But I won't try and tell someone not to breastfeed their infant child, it's a personal choice.

I -will- giggle nervously though. Tee hee...he said "breast" - hehehehehe...

(This thread really needed potty humor to prevent it from turning into another "serious" thread.)

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

A woman and a baby come into the doctor’s office.
She was told to go into a room and wait for the doctor.
After arriving there, the doctor examined the baby and asked the woman, “Is he breast fed or on the bottle?”
“Breast fed” she replied.
“Well, strip down to your waist,” the doctor ordered.
She did.
He pressed, kneaded and pinched both breasts for a while in a detailed examination.
Motioning to her to get dressed said, “No wonder this baby is hungry. You don’t have any milk.”
“Naturally,” she said, “I’m his aunt. But I’m glad I came.”

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
The problem is, that this argument relies on the premise that breast milk and formula are essentially equivalent. That is what the author is claiming here. But I don't think that is true at all. Not nutritionally and certainly not immunologically. Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk when a mother cannot or does not wish to breastfeed, but it is not anywhere near equivalent. Sure, it is a personal choice to make, but don't try to pretend that they are equivalent.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The problem is, that this argument relies on the premise that breast milk and formula are essentially equivalent. That is what the author is claiming here. But I don't think that is true at all. Not nutritionally and certainly not immunologically. Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk when a mother cannot or does not wish to breastfeed, but it is not anywhere near equivalent. Sure, it is a personal choice to make, but don't try to pretend that they are equivalent.
You know, I have a lot of respect for you, Adventive - but this just demonstrates Zimbochick's point.

There are those of us who had great trouble breastfeeding and feel terrible about not being able to do so. It's not always a personal choice, sometimes it's a choice between feeding your baby and not feeding your baby.

Posting that formula is not equivalent to breastmilk yet again - which a fact that is rammed down every new mother's throat on a daily basis - just adds to the anxiety and guilt of those who cannot breastfeed for whatever reason. We are well aware of it.

Some of us would like to "pretend" that they are, at least on some level, both good for the baby because it does us no good to sit and stew over that which could not be helped.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know, I have a lot of respect for you, Adventive - but this just demonstrates Zimbochick's point.

There are those of us who had great trouble breastfeeding and feel terrible about not being able to do so. It's not always a personal choice, sometimes it's a choice between feeding your baby and not feeding your baby.

Posting that formula is not equivalent to breastmilk yet again - which a fact that is rammed down every new mother's throat on a daily basis - just adds to the anxiety and guilt of those who cannot breastfeed for whatever reason. We are well aware of it.

Some of us would like to "pretend" that they are, at least on some level, both good for the baby because it does us no good to sit and stew over that which could not be helped.
You said it much nicer than I would have. Kudos to you!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Yes. What Finster said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting