Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You (or Do You) Let Teens Smoke Pot
Yes 12 13.19%
No 72 79.12%
Undecided or unsure 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times

Advertisements

Dope is dope ,if you want your kids stupid offer them no discipline, chances are you practice no discipline as well .
I have dealt with enough stupid in my lifetime that my sympathy for the willingly stupid is very weak.
No wonder this world is going to hell in a hand basket. No courage no guts no morals.
I brought up my kids to see the danger in dope and they leave it alone.
Common sense should tell you that chemicals that mess with your mind have a permanent effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:20 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,799,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What I don't get is why schools don't put smoke detectors in their bathrooms. When I was in junior high school and high school, I regularly had to put up with nasty smoke (sometimes tobacco, sometimes weed). I mean, at the very least if you are going to smoke, at least have the human decency not to do it indoors whether other people will have to put up with it.
Now with "juling", there's no smoke, but all the other effects. And juling has become rampant in the schools. Apparently, all the progress made against youth smoking over the last 50 yrs has been lost in just a few years with juling.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,086,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Dope is dope ,if you want your kids stupid offer them no discipline, chances are you practice no discipline as well .
I have dealt with enough stupid in my lifetime that my sympathy for the willingly stupid is very weak.
No wonder this world is going to hell in a hand basket. No courage no guts no morals.
Common sense should tell you that chemicals that mess with your mind have a permanent effect.
There’s no courage involved in living in fear.

And for all the railing about intelligence you just did- you’d think you’d understand that not all chemicals that “mess with your mind” have a permanent effect. In fact, most do not. I mean, do you take painkillers? Cough Syrup? Allergy medicines? Are you forever changed? You realize kids now abuse such items to a much greater degree than pot? Do you ask your children to ‘leave those alone’ too?

There is no danger in dope that doesn’t exist in a myriad of legal substances. Making it seem like its a worse substance than alcohol or cigarettes or many legal painkillers is more political than scientific.

It’s one thing to be wary of substance abuse, its another to spread untruths and unwarranted fear.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 AM

8,362 posts, read 2,984,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
LOL, bet all that I possess that at least half of those saying "No" smoked pot in school.
Probably. And with that experience they know better than to let their teenage kids do it. You learn from that experience.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,739,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
As far as you know, anyway.

Most kids do try it. I tried it a few times when I was 19/20 (over 20 years ago). Nothing bad happened. I laughed a little more than usual and I probably ate more snacks than I normally did. Shockingly, I have managed to accomplish what most adults do, like getting married, buying a house, raising children, starting a business, etc. I guess it didn't have a permanent effect.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
I didn’t do any of that as a teen, and even as an adult who can legally purchase cigarettes, alcohol, and recreational marijuana, I’ve never had a desire to do so. I married someone just like me, and our kids have seemed to take after us. They aren’t interested either.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,714,257 times
Hard no. Illegal activity (controlled substance use, underage drinking, etc.) is not allowed in our household, nor tolerated outside the home while we are responsible for their behavior. They are free to make their own decisions about what they put in their bodies once they are adults, but I encourage them to travel to a place where it is fully legal, and make sure they are in a reasonably low-risk environment before they try any mind-or-mood-altering drugs.

Also, only idiots smoke or drink as teens. Risking COPD, cancer, liver damage, or chemical dependency is not worth it. There's so many more fun things that they do to get natural highs.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,478,028 times
I don't get caught up in the either the "reefer-madness" puritanism nor do I buy the pro-mj crowd's "Its totally harmless and it cures cancer and makes you taller and better looking."

There's a difference between "not allowing" it and acting like the KGB looking for any sign or evidence of it.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,877,646 times
The "its not worse than alcohol" argument still doesn't make me support teens using it. It affects developing minds and so does alcohol. So no to either and that's why its illegal for teens to use either. Sure some people use it and are fine but it turns other kids into losers. Why take the chance.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,401,439 times
No. Doing that would break the law until they are of legal age to decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting