Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,945 times

Advertisements

Moms,

Does the feeling (my baby is slipping away) go away from this point on?

Is there any advice to give him w/o him feeling embarassed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
No, I am sorry it does not!
Take a very deep breath and than give the advice...LOL

Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
I feel for you. I can see my baby growing up already. I can't imagine when she goes off to prom. If you want to give him some advice regarding drinking, or sex (don't be offended, Im not trying to imply he's a hoodlum : ) I would try maybe taking him to lunch, or even ordering out his favorite fast food a few nights before. Have a nice little relaxing meal and just mention prom, KEEP IT SHORT AND VAGUE. Tell him you trust him and that he makes very good choices in life; and you hope this night won't be any different. Remind him to be safe and to keep his date safe too. Whether or not he's driving, remind him that he can call you in the event of an emergency no matter what time it is. No questions asked: you'll be there. Most likely, he won't really respond much- he'll say " okay mom, yeah mom" thats your cue to move on to another topic. He'll appreciate your concern, and the fact that you kept it short and simple

Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I agree with Oobie19's idea on the matter, but I'd throw in giving him a condom. Trust me, boys tend to freak out when their own mom gives them a condom. Then, if anything were to start and he goes for it, his mind will go to the weird conversation and he won't do anything.

And if all else fails, at least he's protecting himself.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,945 times
This will be his first dating experience so I have been proceeding with caution on conversations. We've always been close, but I knew the time of letting go (a little) would come soon enough. He's always been trustworthy & responsible. Being this is Jr. Prom, the whole evening/night will be 110% supervized including their ride to & from. I just can believe my baby's growing up Thanks for the advice. Sharing a conversation over a plate of BBQ style Buffalo wings he'd enjoy.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Sorry for being possibly too straight forward on the matter, but I graduated from high school in 2005. I don't think boys/guys have changed very much in that time frame. Then again, after my prom, I went back to my date's house and played Halo until dawn.

It's good to hear that this event is completely supervised. But just think about how your parents felt getting you ready for prom night. Make sure to let him know how proud you are of him.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I agree with Oobie19's idea on the matter, but I'd throw in giving him a condom. Trust me, boys tend to freak out when their own mom gives them a condom. Then, if anything were to start and he goes for it, his mind will go to the weird conversation and he won't do anything.

And if all else fails, at least he's protecting himself.
LOL!!!
Excellent idea - have to file it for later.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
I don't think the feeling ever goes away. I was just so happy when my son wanted me to help him pick out the tux! It made me feel like i was still needed. Of course you have to have the talk about the drinking, sex etc. I agree that it is awkward for a mom and son to do this, but my husband is on the quiet side and I just could not picture him following through with the conversation. My son is in college now and when he calls home, he usually talks to me about everything that is going on!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
I heard on the TV tonight that a high school was giving out goodie bags with condoms to their prom attendies. Wow, times have changed.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
Perhaps Im way too old fashioned, but I wouldn't give m child a condom. IMO that would be almost promoting it saying "here ya go, have fun!" I just couldn't do it. I would just reinforce it as much as possible and hope he takes the right path. Although, getting some condoms for him, and also to give to his friends would probably avoid a lot of problems since many of them are afraid to buy them. I guess better safe than sorry. Maybe Id make it really clear that I don't approve, while giving the protection. Kind contradictory though huh? I have a daughter though so Ive got more problems to worry about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting