Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

I suggest Fred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:48 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Please don't do that to your kid. Not cute.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
To test a name for your child, picture yourself calling it out in the supermarket.

Oblina, where are you?

The name would be interpreted as Blina. ( oh Blina where are you) not good.

Get a baby name book and find something that won't embarrass her over time. She will also grow up to be a woman so don't curse her with Cherry or Bunny or Candy.

Also please, if you have an ethnic last name- for Pete's make make it compatible!!!

Not Erin Pizzarilli or Demetreus Gonzales.....

Thank you & your child will thank you.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:30 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
As you know my screen name is tottsieanna, that is the name my mom wanted to name me, so thankful for my dad who refused in no uncertain terms.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yep, it looks like it rhymes with the "v" word. If it doesn't, it will get mispronounced that way anyway. I don't find it pretty, just difficult to pronounce and remember. I do like Lena or Lina, pronounced to rhyme with Tina. I think naming a kid a name that's going to be mispronounced all the time, or that draws ridicule, is a cruel thing for a parent to do.
Lee-na, not lie-na. Other than the association with the cartoon I don't think it's absolutely awful. I've heard worse. But I agree that it's just ripe for a name that would be picked on. OP if you like it I agree with someone else that maybe the name Lina would be a consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBDrSU-5tQ

Old 04-04-2019, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Everyone seems to name their boys either that or some variation of "Aiden" these days..
Yep! My daughter (day care worker) and I (pediatric nurse) made a list one time. Alphabetically:
Aiden, Braden, Caden, Grayden, Hayden, Jayden, Kaden, Zaden, with numerous variations on spelling, e.g. Aiden, Ayden, Aidan, Aidyn, Braeden, Braedon, ad infinitum.

Then there are Lleyton, Payton/Peyton, Grayson, and many other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
To test a name for your child, picture yourself calling it out in the supermarket.

Oblina, where are you?

The name would be interpreted as Blina. ( oh Blina where are you) not good.

Get a baby name book and find something that won't embarrass her over time. She will also grow up to be a woman so don't curse her with Cherry or Bunny or Candy.

Also please, if you have an ethnic last name- for Pete's make make it compatible!!!

Not Erin Pizzarilli or Demetreus Gonzales.....

Thank you & your child will thank you.
Everyone has an ethnic last name. My kids' names go with their ethnicity. Some people consider an English name as "non-ethnic".

Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Here's an idea - instead of trying to come up with a "unique" name for your child, let him or her discover/create/become what is unique about themselves.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post

I suppose it's better than the 10 "Hunters" in every classroom that will never hunt anything but bargains.
Down the street from me was a dog named "Hunter." Great name for this beagle who barked non-stop while pulling on his leash when walked.

My neighbor's told me her granddaughter planned on naming her son "Hunter." My poor neighbor said every time she hears "Hunter" all she can think of is the dog. Like a good grandma, she decided not to say anything to her granddaughter.

Still, it's a great name for a dog.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Down the street from me was a dog named "Hunter." Great name for this beagle who barked non-stop while pulling on his leash when walked.

My neighbor's told me her granddaughter planned on naming her son "Hunter." My poor neighbor said every time she hears "Hunter" all she can think of is the dog. Like a good grandma, she decided not to say anything to her granddaughter.

Still, it's a great name for a dog.
My cousin had a dog named "Riley", a boy. Every time I saw a patient named Riley at the peds office where I worked, I thought it should be a boy, but it was usually a girl.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What do you guys think of the name "Oblina"? It sounds pretty feminine and cute. Your thoughts?
Oblina made me think of oblique and oblivious, then ob-la-dee ob-la-da, and now I have a stupid song stuck in my head.

I don't care for it as a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting