Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 PM
ptt ptt started this thread

497 posts, read 638,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You have absolutely no idea what your son's interests or hobbies are? That's pretty distant parenting on your part, IMHO, and sad for the boy. Maybe you need to talk with him sometimes or attend some of his school activities to see what his interests are, like an involved parent?
I do know what’s his hobbies are. Please, don’t quickly judged from a few sentences. He is into plants, his green house is full of things he grow, some are dead. But he just didn’t want plants as a gift in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,989,898 times
So why not feed that interest? There are nurseries online that specialize in exotic plants. They may not have gift certificates, but you could make one up on your computer. Ask him what supplies he would like for his greenhouse.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So why not feed that interest? There are nurseries online that specialize in exotic plants. They may not have gift certificates, but you could make one up on your computer. Ask him what supplies he would like for his greenhouse.
He preferred to get them in spring. I was just thinking I probably going to make coupons to redeem gifts when he knows what he wants later.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,045 times
I have a very smart, autistic son, and he's like you describe -- doesn't ask for anything for Christmas or birthday. It used to be easy to figure out what to get him because he at least liked Legos. But he is an older teenager now and isn't interested in those anymore. I am very close to him (or as close to him as I can be, knowing that he has a different level of interaction than other teens his age), but I still don't know what to get him. I know what's interested in, but that doesn't always translate easily to presents. He's currently obsessed with a specific country. I can't afford to take him on a trip there, and he has no interest in books or souvenir-type things related to that country. We got him several things last year and he didn't want any of them except a blanket. He liked that. He is very practical and isn't interested in things he doesn't "need." So I think comments about how "out of touch" you must be aren't fair-- no one who isn't you can know what you put into the relationship. It sounds like you know his interests, but that doesn't mean it's easy to buy things for him. Honestly, my son wants nothing, asks for nothing, and really doesn't care about presents for the sake of presents. Before I get judged, I have two other kids who are much easier to shop for. I know all three of my kids, but one of them is just really hard to shop for.

That being said, would your son like books about growing plants or subscriptions to magazines on the topic? "Coffee table books" might also be appropriate?

Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM

15,545 posts, read 10,535,536 times
Does he have all the accessories he needs for his greenhouse? Various pots, seed starting trays, garden tools, thermometer, small work bench, etc.?

Old 12-09-2019, 07:29 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
What about a book about growing exotic plants? Is he interested in other science topics? Have you ever taken him to a science exploratorium?

Does he have a bike? Do his friends have bikes? Does he have friends? He's old enough to explore the town on his bike.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM

GraceKrispy , Thank you! You reminded me about a weight blanket that i got my son from Costco! He loves it so much that he took it with him on a sleepover:-)

elan , thanks for your great ideas. He has a few tools and Such. He used to keen on Bonsai a few year back.

Ruth4Truth, my son and i been to quite a few science exploratorium. He is more into cells and body functions. Thank you for the book idea i just ordered it from Amazon.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
He is an only child. No issues just not really into material stuff. He is into carnivorous plants, growing them and pollinated them. Those plants are expensive he saved up to buy more this coming spring.

Then maybe $ would be best. Eccentrics are so interesting and so hard to buy for!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,308,072 times
I'd give your child some experiences and help him find some things he likes. If your son doesn't have interests, then maybe he needs you to show him the way. The basic gift could be themed clothing with a trip to be taken later at specific date. Where do his favorite carnivorous plants grow? You could take a family trip there. How about a trip to the beach or mountains? Or some museums? Where you live may have some effect on this, but my kids have always loved trips to the mountains in Colorado. We have gone gold panning and searching for other semiprecious gems and minerals, hiking, camping, rafting. What does he watch on tv? Center a trip around that. My kids like the ghost hunting shows so we've gone on a couple of ghost tours and hope to stay in a haunted motel one of these days when we can fit it into our schedule. Does he like animals? Get him some riding lessons or send him to a veterinary camp. Or maybe you could volunteer at a local shelter helping him take care of animals. Are you foodies, watch some tv shows and go on the search for the best burgers (or whatever foods).

Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'd give your child some experiences and help him find some things he likes. If your son doesn't have interests, then maybe he needs you to show him the way. The basic gift could be themed clothing with a trip to be taken later at specific date. Where do his favorite carnivorous plants grow? You could take a family trip there. How about a trip to the beach or mountains? Or some museums? Where you live may have some effect on this, but my kids have always loved trips to the mountains in Colorado. We have gone gold panning and searching for other semiprecious gems and minerals, hiking, camping, rafting. What does he watch on tv? Center a trip around that. My kids like the ghost hunting shows so we've gone on a couple of ghost tours and hope to stay in a haunted motel one of these days when we can fit it into our schedule. Does he like animals? Get him some riding lessons or send him to a veterinary camp. Or maybe you could volunteer at a local shelter helping him take care of animals. Are you foodies, watch some tv shows and go on the search for the best burgers (or whatever foods).
We went to Komodo island to see Komodo dragons and carnivorous plants a few year back. We took extensive summer trips every year. We did Japanese food investigations the last two. I threw animal shelter idea but he doesn’t like dogs as much. We have cats, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting