Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

So, what are other parents doing with regards to quarantines, and joint custody children that spend time in two homes?

Travelling between two homes doesn't exactly make for the best practices in times of self-isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 07:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
The parents that I know who have joint custody are keeping kids at one house for now. Not ideal, but it reduces the chance of exposure.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Article on the topic

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/healt...rus/index.html

Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
My son has a court order dependent . Not his natural child .
Visitation will resume when schools are back in session.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 AM

957 posts, read 538,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So, what are other parents doing with regards to quarantines, and joint custody children that spend time in two homes?

Travelling between two homes doesn't exactly make for the best practices in times of self-isolation.
My daughter and her ex are having this issue currently. He gets child every other weekend. (According to the parenting plan, he is supposed to get her the opposite every other Wed from after school til bedtime also - but he kept 'forgetting' to pick child up from school or he would pick her up right before close and return her to Mom about 30 min later... so they agreed to do away with Wednesdays).

Additionally, on his weekends he would flake - hes supposed to pick child up Friday from school and take her to school Monday Morning. He would call Friday and say he cant take her that weekend. (hes done this 5 or 6 different times since last year). Its usually on a weekend that he knows my daughter has something going on - a work committment or the last time was when she and her fiance were moving!

My daughter has been SO very accomodating. She doesnt like it, because he NEVER makes up that lost time
so she then has child ALL the time. (plus working full time).

He also flakes on child support... is late alot of the time.

So... now the Covid pandemic comes along. Ex texts my daughter to say he cant take child on his weekend because he has been 'exposed' to Covid and he was instructed to 'quarantine and monitor' for 14 days. He said he quarantined... except for going to the grocery store and getting gas. My daughter says 'quarantine due to exposure means NO GOING OUT AT ALL. He tells her shes an idiot.

My daughter says that perhaps they should rethink visitation during the pandemic, because Ex's new GF works in a hospital (which is how he was exposed) and its risky because my daughters (live in) fiance just received a transplant and is at high risk.

Ex says 'nope' HE gets every other weekend and she cant just keep their child from him. She tells him that she is trying to look out for the well being of their child, and that he can have extra weekends after the pandemic is over.

Next thing he says is 'I can no longer pay child support, because Im now not working'. And he files for a modification of child support with the DHS office.

She tells him he cant stop paying child support, she needs it to help take care of THEIR child. She tells him to get another job (he was self employed as a car detailer) or file for unemployment. He says theres no jobs and says he cant get unemployment. (We've sent him numerous articles showing he can).

My daughter suggested video chats with child. Nope. Ex says either visitation or nothing.

My daughter said UNTIL he truly quarantines AND GF isnt living with him... he isnt getting visitation.

Stalemate.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:09 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
We aren't transferring kids back and forth. The ones here stay here. The ones at alternate households are staying there.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
No visitation until this is over. Kid must stay at one household, can have video chats with other parent. It's a matter of life and death.

Child support is unrelated to visitation. If parent loses job, not much court can do about it, and no one is getting into court for these matters until it's all over. Got to deal with it. Apply for food stamps, whatever other benefits, if you need to. Other parent will get unemployment. You can call child support office and ask them to garnish from other parent's unemployment - that might work.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 PM

735 posts, read 452,866 times
We still maintain our 50/50 custody schedule. We live 10 minutes away from each other, and everyone in both household works at home now. My kid is the only kid, and she's out of school, so no risk there.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
so she then has child ALL the time. (plus working full time).

Reminder.....Visitation isn't about "free" time for a parent, it is about the children spending time with a parent.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:14 PM

957 posts, read 538,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Reminder.....Visitation isn't about "free" time for a parent, it is about the children spending time with a parent.
Actually... youre incorrect. It IS about the child spending time with both parents... HOWEVER... it is ALSO about the custodial parent (you know.... the one who has the child every other day other than 2 days every other week???) getting some free time to .... take a bubble bath by themself... to read a book... to go window shopping... to sleep in...
Particularly in my daughters case, where the child is on the Autism spectrum and is a handful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting