Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:34 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This thread has been hilarious to re-read! One poster said, that when a girls' soccer team practiced on the school pitch adjacent to their property, the screaming was so bad, it was like living next to an airport or something. Some of the comments have me in stitches, lol!

But when I was a kid, my cousin and I often went to an aunt's house to use the pool on hot summer days. We didn't shriek or cause unbearable noise. Our mothers or aunt wouldn't have allowed it anyway, but it just never came up. What's so exciting about padding around a pool or floating on inner tubes, that it triggers shrieking? lol. I have no idea what those kids could be doing, that would trigger piercing shrieks.

Maybe girls shrieking is a new thing? Is this a turn-of-the-millennium thing? And parents who tolerate it, or thing it's normal?

My concern throughout the thread was for the 6-year-old's safety. She probably was too young to know how to swim. I hope one of the parents was always present, watching.
You may be right. I dont recall shrieking growing up. I had two sisters. Maybe we remember things differently than they really were, IDK, but I would think if I shrieked like that as a child my parents would have put the kibosh on that forthwith, and for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 09:31 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would get a bullhorn and scream "shut the F up" each and every time and then see what happens (only half joking, your scenario would drive me mad).

Are there sound-proof things you can do as far as planting large trees, your own music, etc.?

I hate problems like this that involve other people.

I would definitely tell the parents that it's causing you great distress and ask for their help in quieting the beast they've created.

You might have to move.
I would get a bullhorn and scream "shut the F up" each and every time.

OMG...... Love it.....

Old 03-28-2021, 09:43 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
I visited my sister once when my niece was about a year old. My sister believed that if you put the baby down for a nap but she screamed, let her scream, she'd wear herself out and eventually fall asleep. She didn't wnat to get in the habit of picking her up every time she had a fit. So one afternoon, the baby was simply not quieting down. It did sound like she was being murdered. My sister was frazzled (but then, she always is). Someone in the neighborhood called the cops.....My sister went off on them about 'you get in here and try to get this one to take a nap....' I kept thinking, she's gonna get arrested if she doesn't shut up...but I could also see the cops were ....lightly amused....they left w/out incident but I felt sorry for them. This is the nonsense they have to put up with. When it was all over, she and I looked at each other. The baby was asleep. LOL

Old 03-28-2021, 12:06 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
A friend with a barking dog problem, set up some loud speakers and some microphones and every time the dog barked, the microphone picked up the sound and blasted it through the speakers at high volume, aimed at the offending household..

It didn't take long before the dog owner figured out how to keep their dog from barking.

Maybe if you made a loop that fed the noise back to the parents, loudly enough, that they couldn't ignore it?

The danger would be that the kids wants to be a rock singer and would learn they could sing and get their music blasted back at them. The barking dogs didn't like the loud noise, so they quit. Some kids enjoy loud noise.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The danger would be that the kids wants to be a rock singer and would learn they could sing and get their music blasted back at them. The barking dogs didn't like the loud noise, so they quit. Some kids enjoy loud noise.
I guarantee this would happen with 99% of children who discovered they could amplify their voices by screaming at the neighbor's house.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:01 PM

129 posts, read 79,801 times
As long as the noise is made during the daytime hours and is not past a certain time at night there’s nothing you can do.

Kids can’t really control the noises they make when they play some kids are just loud.

But there’s nothing you can do besides ignore it or move.

Be happy the kids are outside playing outdoors and aren’t inside glued to a screen or sexting strangers in a chat room. They’re kids being kids isn’t that what the older generations wanted anyways, kids to play outside? And now that they are people make a huge issue over them being loud outdoors. It’s a no-win situation.

I had a neighbor growing up who make it terrifying to play outdoors and he’d yell and scream at us just for being kids. My mom told him to get bent one day when I came in crying and hid I under the kitchen table and he wasn’t far behind me to bang on our front door to yell at her.

I hope his kids put him in a crappy home.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:06 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit89 View Post
As long as the noise is made during the daytime hours and is not past a certain time at night there’s nothing you can do.

Kids can’t really control the noises they make when they play some kids are just loud.

But there’s nothing you can do besides ignore it or move.

Be happy the kids are outside playing outdoors and aren’t inside glued to a screen or sexting strangers in a chat room. They’re kids being kids isn’t that what the older generations wanted anyways, kids to play outside? And now that they are people make a huge issue over them being loud outdoors. It’s a no-win situation.

I had a neighbor growing up who make it terrifying to play outdoors and he’d yell and scream at us just for being kids. My mom told him to get bent one day when I came in crying and hid I under the kitchen table and he wasn’t far behind me to bang on our front door to yell at her.

I hope his kids put him in a crappy home.
Yeah I'm calling bull**** that kids can't contol the sounds they make (assuming they.aren't special needs.) It's called parenting and demanding they not shriek.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yeah I'm calling bull**** that kids can't contol the sounds they make (assuming they.aren't special needs.) It's called parenting and demanding they not shriek.
Why should anyone be obligated to do so on their own property? I think the onus is on the offended party to grow a pair and go over to the neighbor with a reasonable request for specific quiet times, if they have some sort of special need for silence. If you can't deal with a few hours of children playing loudly outside, you probably need to find a place to live far far out in the countryside.

Adults are far noisier than children. From fat old fogeys on bikes with straight pipes to the dude who decides to start a woodworking business in his garage, the toys and tools of suburb-dwelling adults generate MUCH more noise pollution than a few hours of loud horseplay by children.

Now, my Chinese friends would disagree with me and agree with those on here who think that parents need to hover over their children and hush every peep that comes out of their kids. They are constantly shushing their kids, even on the playground. However, they grew up in a different, and much more dense, society than what he have here in the USA, and I don't see any benefit to emulating that particular aspect of their way of life.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
I know this is old but as long as its during the day and not into late night I'd let it go. I do think the bullhorn comment was funny. Maybe it would scare her into shutting the heck up. If its not screaming kids its yelling adults, loud music, loud vehicles, fireworks 365 days a year, barking dogs, roaming cats neighbors. And yes I definitely fit at least one of those, unfortunately.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosze View Post
I know this is old but as long as its during the day and not into late night I'd let it go. I do think the bullhorn comment was funny. Maybe it would scare her into shutting the heck up. If its not screaming kids its yelling adults, loud music, loud vehicles, fireworks 365 days a year, barking dogs, roaming cats neighbors. And yes I definitely fit at least one of those, unfortunately.
Some guy was using a leaf blower all morning today. I work from home. I'm just glad I have noise canceling headphones.

The sound of children playing doesn't bother me. I'd rather have that than a leaf blower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting