Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 07:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Have you taken a walk? Maybe you passed someone while walking on the street or in a park. Even if you were both wearing masks, that's an "unnecessary" recreational activity that is not zero risk.

As you stated, (emphasis mine).
No walks (treadmill at home).

If there is an alternative, then the activity is not necessary. It is a want, not a need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Have you picked up takeout from a restaurant? Gone for a walk with a friend? Spent any time at all with anyone beyond immediate household members?
Takeout, yes, in the car. Both restaurant employees and me masked. Drive through or curbside delivery about three times per week. There are days when homecooked meals are not possible due to work. Limit shopping to one day per week, usually Sam's Club plus one grocery store.

No walks with friends; no significant time with anyone other than DH, one DS, and two of DH's employees. DH is working mostly by teleconferencing. The few clients who have to come to the office must mask and we are social distancing. DH and I have not seen our best friends in person since the arrival of the coronavirus. I miss playing bridge with them.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Here are some more group posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Absolutely. My niece and her 2 children live in a close knit community of 10 families who are having a "trick or treat event" of just their families. These kids (and adults) have gathered throughout all of this and have been fine. I'm sure the kids will have a blast.
So 30+ people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here's the deal. Door to door Trick or Treat at my house anyway: Kid(s), sometimes a horde of them, come up to the door, ring the bell, which requires touching it. They yell in my face "Trick or Treat!" I fawn over the costumes, ask them (diplomatically) what they are. I get out the candy and let them choose. They paw through the bowl, because I bought a mixture. Sometimes a parent is there, up close and personal, sometimes not. They leave. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I were to do T or T this year, I'd wear a mask, and I'd try to clean the doorbell after each visit, but I'd probably forget once in a while. Are the kids wearing masks? Probably. Maybe. Some parent will surely say, "His(her) mask got uncomfortable, so we let him(her) take it off". Are the parents wearing masks? Maybe. Are any of them washing their hands between houses and candy bowls? Maybe. For the kids, this goes on for several to many more houses, depending on the age. For me, there could be as many as 20 of these encounters.

When I go to McDonald's drive through, I give my order through an intercom. I'm wearing a mask. Then I drive up to the cashier, who is wearing a mask and gloves. I give him/her my money through the car window and at a distance of several feet, and s/he gives me my change. The cashier doesn't exclaim over my clothes, e.g. "What a cool outfit! Is that a Calvin Klein?". I don't say, "No, I got it at Walmart", and so forth. S/he doesn't bring the change on a tray to let me paw through it for which bills and coins I like the best. Then I drive ahead to the server. The server, masked and gloved, hands me my food in a bag. Conversation, if any, is limited to "Can I have some more ketchup?" and "Here you go!".

You may find this hard to believe, but these McDonald's restaurants are usually quite clean and they follow the health code. When I worked at a health department, our sanitarians said the fast-food places were the cleanest of all the restaurants. Home prepared food, as every public health person knows, is the most risky. Wrapped food is safer than unwrapped, homemade food.
I have had kids, particularly older kids, come in groups of 4-6-8 kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure what Denver as a whole will end up doing, but I do not plan to participate in trick or treating this year. I'm sad about that because I really enjoy the process and was so happy when I moved to my current neighborhood where we count trick or treaters in the hundreds (I typically get 400-500 but was expecting more this year as additional new construction near by is built out and people have moved in).

I was talking about whether it was even worth it to put up the decorations but my teenager pointed out we can decorate but still turn off the porch light on Halloween itself for the universal "sorry, we aren't participating this year" signal, so I think we will at least decorate.
Presumably some in groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Only if they queue up like they are waiting for an amusement park ride. I know some neighborhoods have groups of children but when i T or T and with my children, we have never been part of a huge group and I rarely saw a huge group. And I would bet all the halloween candy that kids that go trick or treating together in a group are already playing together so I still see no increased risk with covid.

Also earlier in the thread you were talking about how "cumulative exposure" was the problem. So now that we have eliminated that as a potential issue (though im pretty sure thats not how science works) youve "moved the goalposts" so to speak to saying that having individual bags (like curbside pickup and mcdonalds drive through) are a moderate risk to children when there seems to be no risk at all

Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:

So 30+ people!

OK, so you have two posters who mentioned doing group activities this year.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No walks (treadmill at home).

If there is an alternative, then the activity is not necessary. It is a want, not a need.

Takeout, yes, in the car. Both restaurant employees and me masked. Drive through or curbside delivery about three times per week. There are days when homecooked meals are not possible due to work. Limit shopping to one day per week, usually Sam's Club plus one grocery store.

No walks with friends; no significant time with anyone other than DH, one DS, and two of DH's employees. DH is working mostly by teleconferencing. The few clients who have to come to the office must mask and we are social distancing. DH and I have not seen our best friends in person since the arrival of the coronavirus. I miss playing bridge with them.
Damn! I'd run away from home and join a cult, if my parents forced me to live like that. Or as an adult, get a divorce and leave the state to get away from my Covid-paranoid wife, and pay child support. It's a silly little cold virus, for crying out loud, hyped up for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-05-2020 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-05-2020, 09:23 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Damn! I'd run away from home and join a cult, if my parents forced me to live like that. Or as an adult, get a divorce and leave the state to get away from my Covid-paranoid wife, and pay child support. It's a silly little cold virus, for crying out loud, hyped up for the wrong reasons.
Silly little cold viruses do not kill people. DH and I are both high risk due to age. We aim to avoid getting infected, if possible. We are fortunate he can do most of his work by videoconferencing.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:25 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
No one has said that they are planning on going on a “huge Trick or Treat outing with a large group of people and not taking precautions”. No one.
Again, this goes into one's own personal particular situation and experience. Since I was a kid (born in 1953) and until three months ago, I have always lived in the suburbs, and I stopped trick-or-treating about 1964, and -- yes -- large groups would go trick-or-treating. When I moved out of my parents home in the early 70's, kids were still trick-or-treating in large groups.

However, starting about 1980 or so, in the neighborhoods I lived in, that was no longer the norm. There were not that many kids OR their parents decided to do something else with them, so the "norm" was about 20 kids per hour, for a total of about 50 kids per Halloween night, and except for siblings, it was rare to have more than three kids come to the door at the same time, and usually there was at least a gap of two or three minutes until the doorbell range again.

Now, OF COURSE, my experience definitely does NOT represent everyone's experience, but that is what I have a problem with. It seems that the CDC and some government officials act as though everyone does have the same experience and so they issue "guidelines" accordingly. They seem to disregard the fact that "one size does not always fit all", and they act as though most people can't think and decide for themselves what is right for them. Problems occur when the public is not adequately informed with facts, and this is what has happened with COVID. There has been too much guessing, too many wrong "facts" issued, and so now many people distrust the information that is now given out, whether that info is true or not. (Of course, the foregoing is my opinion.)

I am an adult, and I resent very much being treated as though I am either a moron or a child; and I would bet that many others feel the same way as I do.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:59 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am an adult, and I resent very much being treated as though I am either a moron or a child; and I would bet that many others feel the same way as I do.
I couldn't agree more with you. I'd rather get Cold Virus as a free man, than be 100% healthy as a prisoner. But CDC likes to push the "this is für ihre Sicherheit" (German for "for your safety") agenda.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Speaking FOR MYSELF and the fact that you used my posts to prove there will be large groups and no precautions Katarina, everyone (but you) knows you are taking things selectively to prove your point. I NEVER said there would be large groups of children walking in the neighborhood, I said I had lived in neighborhoods where that has happened. And I said that the people on our street are have a TRUNK OR TREAT where we will be socially distant NOT a large group walking around the neighborhood together as you implied when you used me as an example and its very clear in my post thats what I was saying. So do not use me as an example as I said no such thing

Old 10-06-2020, 06:03 AM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:
It turned out to be less deadly then initially thought. Thee were very few hospitals that even came close to being overwhelmed, most remained well below capacity. In Denver they built an overflow facility at a huge cost that has never seen a single patient. Yet we remain restricted.

Fortunately, trick or treating can be done within the guidelines of what we have been told is safe. It’s outdoors. Social distancing and masks are 100% possible. Why this is even controversial or questioned is beyond me.

Oh not even close in NJ/NY area. My daughters hospital had refrigerated tractor trailers to keep the bodies in, as the morgue was overloaded. Our hospitals were bursting with Covid deaths.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:14 AM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:

So 30+ people!

I'm going to just address the one i originally posted.

My niece and her neighbors kids trick or treating together.

Because these neighbors have been all together since March. In essence they are quarantining together. So what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.