Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 01:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
So you know with 100% certainty that people that you've never met are going to show up sick (even though they've been quarantining together for months) to Trunk or Treat? Do you have a crystal ball? Are you psychic or are you assuming again?

We aren't talking about a daycare or anyone that is immunocompromised. You can't or won't believe that people are doing things a lot differently these last 7 months.
If you're talking about 5 or 6 families with 2-3 kids each, I can pretty much guarantee there will be at least one sick kid in the group. But of course, "s/he won't be contagious".

I have no clue what you mean by the bold. I am not living under a rock in the Yukon. I know how people are living.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Certainly someone who says "Trick or treating is pretty low risk, all things considered" should be able to provide some evidence. I mean, we don't know what sources this person has used to come to that conclusion. And heck yeah, someone who claims that someone else has said here on CD "And that there is no justification for nonessential, non-zero-risk recreational activities" should easily be able to document that.

You are putting a lot of faith in your tight knit group of friends if you believe they all think just like you. I have found over the years that friends agree and disagree on issues frequently. What one parent thinks is a reason to keep a kid home is not what another thinks. Lots of people let their kids go to school and other activities with "just a little (insert symptom here)" only to find out later they were sick with something serious. ANY teacher, ANY day care worker, ANY peds nurse can tell you that.
I’m the one who said that and I did provide evidence that trick or treat can be done with little risk. You ignored it. You also posted opinions of how it can be done safely based on news articles that are exactly what many of us have said we will be doing but then turn around and argue that we are putting people in danger. I don’t even know if you believe what you’re saying based on your posts.

Also, Suzy did say something about there being no justification for doing such a non-essential activities just for fun.

A lot of parents are taking minor cold symptoms more serious due to fear of covid. It’s not the same as in normal times.

Last edited by MissTerri; 10-06-2020 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
If you're talking about 5 or 6 families with 2-3 kids each, I can pretty much guarantee there will be at least one sick kid in the group. But of course, "s/he won't be contagious".

I have no clue what you mean by the bold. I am not living under a rock in the Yukon. I know how people are living.
How are the kids getting sick? You don't know the ages of any of them. My kids haven't been sick in months and we've been out in public. We do take the necessary precautions though. My husband is essential so he's been going to work since this all began and he hasn't been sick either. It's amazing what one doesn't get when they wear masks, social distance and wash their hands.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:40 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
How are the kids getting sick? You don't know the ages of any of them. My kids haven't been sick in months and we've been out in public. We do take the necessary precautions though. My husband is essential so he's been going to work since this all began and he hasn't been sick either. It's amazing what one doesn't get when they wear masks, social distance and wash their hands.
I'm essential too. The only thing I do religiously is wash hands. I mask up only inside stores, where mandated, or when Karens are looking. (Cops on the streets don't really care.) And I've been binge-socializing since June, outdoors and otherwise, so no distancing. I'm still healthy as a horse. (I do limit visits to high-risk family members, though.) So I don't trust the CDC, and would be glad to see it disbanded.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-06-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
There are many times in our lives where we do things that pose risk to our health or the health of other. Even changing the radio station in your car is dangerous. Going to political demonstrations is 1000x more risky than a trunk or treat with 5 neighborhood families and yet people have little issue with those.,
I'd avoid the indoor ones. Especially if very few people actually wear masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Its time to really reflect on what some people consider overly risky vs what people consider to be acceptable. If gathering for a protest is considered acceptable and trunk or treat is considered to risky then the perspective is severely skewed. I am not saying this to you in particular just society as a whole.
Those were done outside, with proper social distancing, and masks on. That's not something trivial to overlook. Plus, those protests were in response to police killing someone, and not being held accountable. The stakes are much higher.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'd avoid the indoor ones. Especially if very few people actually wear masks

Those were done outside, with proper social distancing, and masks on. That's not something trivial to overlook. Plus, those protests were in response to police killing someone, and not being held accountable. The stakes are much higher.
I understand what you mean but the activity im talking about is also outside and much more socially distant. And i can assure you that a super-deadly virus would give zero cares about how righteous the social justice cause is. But since everyone didn't die its probably not a super deadly virus, as the science has proven.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:25 PM

I don't understand why people like to bring up protests and the like. That's not what the thread is about!

Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
And heck yeah, someone who claims that someone else has said here on CD "And that there is no justification for nonessential, non-zero-risk recreational activities" should easily be able to document that.
I did that.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:42 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people like to bring up protests and the like. That's not what the thread is about!

I don’t know why you ask for things and then ignore them. Have you changed your mind regarding the safety if trick or treating with family only, masking and handing out candy via leaving it out vs door to door? You shared articles about it which makes it seem like you agree with the options yet tell anyone who says they are doing this that they are wrong.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The answer is in the purple. Your husband goes out. He's getting exposed. Some other parents are probably getting exposed at work as well, particularly people in health care or some type of customer service. Out of those 15 kids or so, someone will get sick.

Regarding immunocompromise, you may know someone who is immunocompromised but are not aware of it. Here's a list of common immunocompromising conditions: https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates...unocompromised
"Lupus
Rheumatoid arthritis
Type 1 diabetes
"

Here's another list, plus some drugs that treat them:
https://www.healthline.com/health/im...ant-drugs#uses
"psoriasis
lupus
rheumatoid arthritis
Crohn’s disease
multiple sclerosis
alopecia areata"

I'm sure you know some people with some of these diseases/conditions. I have a neighbor with MS. Lots of people have rheumatoid arthritis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm essential too. The only thing I do religiously is wash hands. I mask up only inside stores, where mandated, or when Karens are looking. (Cops on the streets don't really care.) And I've been binge-socializing since June, outdoors and otherwise, so no distancing. I'm still healthy as a horse. (I do limit visits to high-risk family members, though.) So I don't trust the CDC, and would be glad to see it disbanded.
Good for you! I think handwashing is a big source of a false sense of security. You're not being very careful. You have been lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know why you ask for things and then ignore them. Have you changed your mind regarding the safety if trick or treating with family only, masking and handing out candy via leaving it out vs door to door? You shared articles about it which makes it seem like you agree with the options yet tell anyone who says they are doing this that they are wrong.
I have said many times over this contactless T or T is considered moderate risk. None of those articles say that is "low risk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.