Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 07:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This has been an issue since COVID began. People chastising others for what they do, yet they take risks themselves. I have not set foot in a grocery store in a while. I have this delivery thing down pat. You can even make notes to your shopper like 'green bananas'. Or one that is a big deal to me 'choose a package of bacon with actual bacon in it'.

I don't care if people want to go to stores, I am not chastising for that at all, but it's not true that it is unavoidable. Texas has a company called Favor, who will go virtually anywhere to get virtually anything. Other markets, Doordash and UE are branching out to do the same.

drugstore, convenience store, smoke shop, pet store, whatever you want. On an Uber driver thread, I saw a pic of a dog by itself as the passenger. The pawrents sent him in an Uber to be groomed! Vets don't allow us inside anyway. I'm thinking of sending my cat by himself next time with that being the case.

On the other hand, all this delivery, people IN GENERAL are still getting exposed, spreading it. So it's not helping society at large, it's just relevant to individual risk.

Merely picking up take out food to go curbside creates societal risk. Employees must go and interact with each other and the public all day, definitely spreading it, in order to bring it 'safely' to your vehicle.

All of the wonderful things from grocery to meals to everything else I want and need coming to my door, contactless, is huge for my personal risk level, but the same for society as if I were going around collecting these things myself.

They are going into the grocery store in my stead. Or the restaurant or whatever.

If we are to get angry with people who take unnecessary risks, then anyone who gets togo food in any manner is on the list.

Unless one is very disabled, one can turn groceries into meals. In fact my mother was disabled and ate frozen meals often.

Anyone who orders anything from Amazon they don't absolutely NEED is on the list. It's pretty ridiculous. We are all going to take minor risks to continue living.
You make some really good points here. Even if someone is completely isolating they are still putting people at risk who are working behind the scenes to ensure that they have food and everything they need and helping to keep them safe. There’s no real way to not put others at risk in all of this. I also agree that we are all going to take minor risks to continue living. Thought provoking post. Thank you!

Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 AM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
This has been an issue since COVID began. People chastising others for what they do, yet they take risks themselves. I have not set foot in a grocery store in a while. I have this delivery thing down pat. You can even make notes to your shopper like 'green bananas'. Or one that is a big deal to me 'choose a package of bacon with actual bacon in it'.

I don't care if people want to go to stores, I am not chastising for that at all, but it's not true that it is unavoidable. Texas has a company called Favor, who will go virtually anywhere to get virtually anything. Other markets, Doordash and UE are branching out to do the same.

drugstore, convenience store, smoke shop, pet store, whatever you want. On an Uber driver thread, I saw a pic of a dog by itself as the passenger. The pawrents sent him in an Uber to be groomed! Vets don't allow us inside anyway. I'm thinking of sending my cat by himself next time with that being the case.

On the other hand, all this delivery, people IN GENERAL are still getting exposed, spreading it. So it's not helping society at large, it's just relevant to individual risk.

Merely picking up take out food to go curbside creates societal risk. Employees must go and interact with each other and the public all day, definitely spreading it, in order to bring it 'safely' to your vehicle.

All of the wonderful things from grocery to meals to everything else I want and need coming to my door, contactless, is huge for my personal risk level, but the same for society as if I were going around collecting these things myself.

They are going into the grocery store in my stead. Or the restaurant or whatever.

If we are to get angry with people who take unnecessary risks, then anyone who gets togo food in any manner is on the list.

Unless one is very disabled, one can turn groceries into meals. In fact my mother was disabled and ate frozen meals often.

Anyone who orders anything from Amazon they don't absolutely NEED is on the list. It's pretty ridiculous. We are all going to take minor risks to continue living.
Everyone who chastises others for "going out and putting others at risk" needs to read this and stop feeling self-righteous.

Face it. If you are staying home / isolating you are doing it to protect yourself. Not to protect others.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
@MissTerri-I'm not the one who's unconcerned about Covid.
Then you may want to stop walking with friends and grocery shopping in person and getting takeout. Protect yourself. You’ll still be putting people at risk (see Jencam’s post above) but at least you will be protecting yourself and your husband.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
So a group of people on this thread has found their rationalization for Trick or Treating by saying it's the same as going grocery shopping, etc and calling those of us who have tried to get the information out "hypocrites".

The CDC, the majority of state health departments, many children's hospitals and the American Academy of Pediatrics are all recommending caution, but this group of pikers knows more than all of them.

That seems to be the takeaway here.

Yes, grocery shopping has a degree of risk, but it's not as risky as going door to door and exposing yourself to unmasked householders giving out candy. You can be sure not everyone will wear a mask. Heaven knows there have been enough anti-mask threads and posts here on CD, including some by these self-same people. You can be sure sick people will hand out candy anyway "because we always do". You can be sure people will let sick kids trick or treat "because s/he is not contagious" as his/her fever goes up to 103 and s/he is coughing like mad.

As for this "I respect your choice, you should respect mine (to potentially expose people to illness)", I saw a good one this morning (paraphrasing because of course I can't find it now): "I respect your decision to drive at night with your headlights on; please respect my decision not to".

Old 10-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
So a group of people on this thread has found their rationalization for Trick or Treating by saying it's the same as going grocery shopping, etc and calling those of us who have tried to get the information out "hypocrites".

The CDC, the majority of state health departments, many children's hospitals and the American Academy of Pediatrics are all recommending caution, but this group of pikers knows more than all of them.

Yes, grocery shopping has a degree of risk, but it's not as risky as going door to door and exposing yourself to unmasked householders giving out candy. You can be sure not everyone will wear a mask. Heaven knows there have been enough anti-mask threads and posts here on CD, including some by these self-same people. You can be sure sick people will hand out candy anyway "because we always do". You can be sure people will let sick kids trick or treat "because s/he is not contagious" as his/her fever goes up to 103 and s/he is coughing like mad.

As for this "I respect your choice, you should respect mine (to potentially expose people to illness)", I saw a good one this morning (paraphrasing because of course I can't find it now): "I respect your decision to drive at night with your headlights on; please respect my decision not to".
Most people I’ve spoken to plan to leave individual bags of candy out and replenish as needed. That’s my updated plan because I want people to feel comfortable. There will be few households who have trick or treaters come to the door. There will be even fewer where the person who answers is unmasked. Most people don’t have covid so the odds of coming into contact with someone with covid for more then a few seconds is extremely low.

The assumption that people who are sick will still trick or treat or hand out candy is pretty out there. People have changed in a lot of ways in regards to covid in terms of being way more cautious when sick. And yes, it absolutely is hypocritical to allow yourself to take risks and then chastise others for doing the same. You could be spreading covid while grocery shopping or walking with your friends just as easy as someone trick or treating or passing out candy on Halloween night.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:01 AM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
You can be sure sick people will hand out candy anyway "because we always do". You can be sure people will let sick kids trick or treat "because s/he is not contagious" as his/her fever goes up to 103 and s/he is coughing like mad.
A question. Up until this year, has the idea that trick-or-treating will expose either homeowners or children to disease ever crossed anyone's mind? Yes, yes, I know Covid is supposedly more contagious than colds or flu and it can be fatal. But is there a surge in respiratory or other illness every year after Halloween? If it's really a risky activity for spreading disease, you would think this would be well known already.

As for the severely ill trick-or-treaters, when people, even children, have a high fever of 103, they generally feel very ill and have little desire to take part in recreational activities or do anything much but lie around and try to sleep.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:41 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:

Correct. Anyone who does any activity that is not 100% necessary is a hypocrite for pointing fingers at others.

It is necessary to move one's body and get fresh air, it is not necessary to have company while doing so. As an example.

It is necessary to eat food, it is not necessary that someone else prepare it in a restaurant. Restaurant food is a luxury.

I don't even care if there is an event where everyone purposefully trades snot. There was a big one recently, in fact. And over 30 of them are now paying the price. Our medical systems are not overwhelmed. Everyone has the right to determine their own risk level and act accordingly, and everyone else has the right to stay away from those they know that choose to behave in a risky fashion.

BARS are opening back up in Texas to 50% capacity. If ever there were an unnecessary activity, going to bars is super high on the list.

If adults can do this, kids can get some dang candy.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A question. Up until this year, has the idea that trick-or-treating will expose either homeowners or children to disease ever crossed anyone's mind? Yes, yes, I know Covid is supposedly more contagious than colds or flu and it can be fatal. But is there a surge in respiratory or other illness every year after Halloween? If it's really a risky activity for spreading disease, you would think this would be well known already.

As for the severely ill trick-or-treaters, when people, even children, have a high fever of 103, they generally feel very ill and have little desire to take part in recreational activities or do anything much but lie around and try to sleep.
A good question. As a now-retired pediatric nurse, I can't answer that. Generally, there is a huge uptick when school starts. Kids share germs when they won't share anything else. Even though school starts here in Colorado in mid-August when it is often hot outside, put 'em all together and the respiratory illnesses start. Then it sort of goes on all fall/winter/spring. Flu does not tend to peak in CO until late in winter, so it's mostly URIs (colds, some of which as you know are caused by coronaviruses), pneumonia and croup in the littler kids, stuff like that. PLUS, Covid-19 isn't the same as these other illnesses. We haven't had a major, world-wide pandemic like this since 1918-20 when we had the Spanish flu. I don't think T or T was as popular then, what with our largely rural population and an economy that wasn't conducive to people having a lot of spare time for stuff like that, not even kids, some of whom were either helping on the farm or working in factories by age 10 or so.

Well, 103 was a bit of hyperbole, but as as former peds nurse and also as a parent, I can assure you kids are out doing activities and going to school with temps of 101. One of my kids told me she wasn't feeling well after a gymnastics meet where she had one of her best performances. I took her temp and it was 101! Another told me after the guests had left from her birthday party that she didn't feel well, and she had a temp of 101 as well! This stuff happens. We didn't deliberately expose anyone. I'd be surprised that you never had a similar experience.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Correct. Anyone who does any activity that is not 100% necessary is a hypocrite for pointing fingers at others.

It is necessary to move one's body and get fresh air, it is not necessary to have company while doing so. As an example.

It is necessary to eat food, it is not necessary that someone else prepare it in a restaurant. Restaurant food is a luxury.

I don't even care if there is an event where everyone purposefully trades snot. There was a big one recently, in fact. And over 30 of them are now paying the price. Our medical systems are not overwhelmed. Everyone has the right to determine their own risk level and act accordingly, and everyone else has the right to stay away from those they know that choose to behave in a risky fashion.

BARS are opening back up in Texas to 50% capacity. If ever there were an unnecessary activity, going to bars is super high on the list.

If adults can do this, kids can get some dang candy.
Oh, come on! The CDC, state health departments, professional physician organizations don't say that going grocery shopping at a low volume time (like Monday morning) wearing a mask in a community where everyone is required to wear one, social distancing, is "high risk".

It's a good think our medical systems are not overwhelmed. It'd be nice to keep it that way. There have been times in many areas where that was not the case. And what a whacked idea, that if there is a bed for you in a hospital it's OK to do a high risk activity. No one has a right to spread disease. The SCOTUS decided that 115 years ago with Jacobson vs Massachusetts. https://www.oyez.org/cases/1900-1940/197us11

Old 10-09-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, come on! The CDC, state health departments, professional physician organizations don't say that going grocery shopping at a low volume time (like Monday morning) wearing a mask in a community where everyone is required to wear one, social distancing, is "high risk".

It's a good think our medical systems are not overwhelmed. It'd be nice to keep it that way. There have been times in many areas where that was not the case. And what a whacked idea, that if there is a bed for you in a hospital it's OK to do a high risk activity. No one has a right to spread disease. The SCOTUS decided that 115 years ago with Jacobson vs Massachusetts. https://www.oyez.org/cases/1900-1940/197us11

Our local medical system has never been even close to overwhelmed with covid patients. We even have an empty overflow space built that never saw a single patient and continues to sit empty at a massive cost to taxpayers.

Grocery shopping is an indoor activity where one comes into contact with numerous individuals. Indoor activities are deemed less safe then outdoor activities in regards to covid. It’s obvious that it’s not any safer then trick or treating outdoors and in a situation where most people will be leaving treats outside in bags or otherwise spaced. You don’t need an expert to tell you that to know that it’s true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting