Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 02:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Our state is now increasing with cases and hospitalizations, but we're still in the first wave. We've reopened slowly and I'm sure we will stay in the same plan for a few more weeks. Our county is well below the state in cases and hospitalizations (370 cases, 14 hospitalizations and 5.5%).

Someone started a new post on the neighborhood page on Halloween last night. Everyone that responded is going to be sitting outside and will have candy on a table at the end of the driveway in treat bags. A couple of them are going to do the PVC pipe idea, and someone else going to do "treat sticks" or hang the treats up with clothespins on string.

Same here. There was a conversation on a neighborhood page and everyone who responded said they would be participating by having candy out as well as taking their own kids trick or treating.

This is such a non issue. These are nothing but guidelines put out by the CDC. I am quite sure that some of the same people who are taking the guidelines so seriously in regards to Halloween will completely ignore the CDC’s Thanksgiving and Christmas guidelines.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 AM

524 posts, read 246,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Sorry to hear that you got it. Do you have any lingering symptoms? It seems like most people who get it now are recovering, but there also seem to be more and more reports about long-term symptoms.

I know of one relatively healthy early 40's female (who lives in a different state but we caught up by phone a couple months ago). She got it really early on before there were a lot of treatments, so she just pretty much stayed at home and did self-palliative care. She said it was like a really bad flu for about 3 weeks (and she had to occasionally use an inhaler, as she had some problems breathing). She said she was just pretty much out of commission and didn't have energy for about 1 month. She seemed to have pretty much fully recovered when I was speaking to her, and didn't report any long-term effects.
It was pretty brutal. Like like flu, but being held under water. It was least a month before I could walk up stairs without being out of breath, and probably 2.5 months before I was completely well. Drained all of my PTO, too.

My husband and son were recovered a little faster than I did, but it took a while to feel really and truly well.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Same here. There was a conversation on a neighborhood page and everyone who responded said they would be participating by having candy out as well as taking their own kids trick or treating.

This is such a non issue. These are nothing but guidelines put out by the CDC. I am quite sure that some of the same people who are taking the guidelines so seriously in regards to Halloween will completely ignore the CDC’s Thanksgiving and Christmas guidelines.
Ya think? As California goes, usually so goes most of the rest of the country. It happened with the"stay-at-home orders. From 15 hours ago:
https://abc7-com.cdn.ampproject.org/...d%2F7001416%2F

Old 10-14-2020, 07:44 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ya think? As California goes, usually so goes most of the rest of the country.
Ya think? At this point, most states want nothing less than to be like California.

BTW, I live in California.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Ya think? At this point, most states want nothing less than to be like California.

I agree, most places do not want to be like CA.

California has beautiful beaches and nice weather but I would never move there because I think their political leadership has gone way overboard on numerous issues. I couldn’t believe the Governor was telling people they should pull their mask on in between bites of food while eating out. Totally out of touch with reality. I worry that my state of Colorado will one day be as crazy as California. Overly controlling. I would bet money that the same politicians who are telling kids that they should not trick or treat won’t be following the CDC’s guidelines themselves when it comes to Thanksgiving. I’m sorry you have to deal with the crazy political environment.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 AM

724 posts, read 403,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
It was pretty brutal. Like like flu, but being held under water. It was least a month before I could walk up stairs without being out of breath, and probably 2.5 months before I was completely well. Drained all of my PTO, too.

My husband and son were recovered a little faster than I did, but it took a while to feel really and truly well.
Whoa....I'm glad you are feeling better. That is a long recovery time!

That is a scary account, and why I am trying my best to avoid catching it at all. I randomly called up a friend who I hadn't spoken to in a long time, and she informed me that she got it was recovering from it.

Our call didn't last long because she still sounded like she was struggling to speak and she indicated that her throat was still very sore. But she indicated that her energy was a lot better and she no longer had a fever.

This is virus is very real and scary. I'm glad that you and your family made it through ok.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Really!

I've lived in several of the other 49. It's a "love/hate" thing, really. But it doesn't matter that much if the citizens don't want to be like California. CA has 10% of the country's population, and if their health department has the cojones (courage) to say (from the link) "Most notably, the state "strongly discourages" trick-or-treating. . . "To protect yourself and your community, you should not go trick-or-treating or mix with others outside allowed private gatherings this Halloween season," the guidance says.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:12 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Really!

I've lived in several of the other 49. It's a "love/hate" thing, really. But it doesn't matter that much if the citizens don't want to be like California. CA has 10% of the country's population, and if their health department has the cojones (courage) to say (from the link) "Most notably, the state "strongly discourages" trick-or-treating. . . "To protect yourself and your community, you should not go trick-or-treating or mix with others outside allowed private gatherings this Halloween season," the guidance says.
Yes, really. And if you lived here you also would find a growing tide of anger against the needlessly restrictive, whimsical and domineering dictates of our current government.

Even Californians don't want to be like California.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, really. And if you lived here you also would find a growing tide of anger against the needlessly restrictive, whimsical and domineering dictates of our current government.

That was sarcasm. I think you've been pretty clear you live in CA all along.

You've elected a lot of liberal politicians. I think your "tide" is just a little wave.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:

I feel bad, we've been bitching about our overly restrictive governor (NJ) but he said Halloween will go on ...

gotta agree about californians don't want to be like california, we have relatives out there, and it's beautiful but no thanks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.