Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2020, 03:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The school issue has to do with you saying you think school is riskier than T or T, yet you were advocating, advocating, and advocating some more for schools to reopen.

Yes, I'd like to see a peer-reviewed study about T or T being low risk, since the CDC considers it high risk. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagan_standard

You're basically going against the recommendations of the CDC and all the departments of health nationwide. Here is a sampling:
Connecticut: https://www.ctpost.com/news/coronavi...s-15615204.php
"Other haunted traditions the agency recommends avoiding this year: indoor haunted houses “where people may be crowded together and screaming,” hayrides with people from different households, and trick-or-treating where candy is handed out door-to-door or from car trunks."

Indiana: https://wrbiradio.com/2020/10/02/sta...afe-halloween/
"During Wednesday’s COVID-19 briefing with Governor Eric Holcomb, Indiana State Health Commissioner Dr. Kristina Box said she doesn’t want to be the “witch” who ruins Halloween, but she doesn’t want COVID-19 to ruin it either. Dr. Box gave several recommendations for Halloween activities this year based on what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released last week. . . . High risk: Activities are the more traditional Halloween events including door-to-door trick-or-treating. Trunk-or-treat, where cars hand out candy in a parking lot, is also considered high risk according to Dr. Box."

New Mexico: https://www.governor.state.nm.us/202...loween-events/
CDC recs plus: "The state’s emergency health order and all its operative guidelines and restrictions – including the requirement to wear facemasks at all times in public and the restriction on gatherings of more than 10 individuals – applies to all prospective Halloween events and activities." That would seem to negate the 5-6 family Trunk or Treat that one family on this thread is planning.

Illinois: Halloween Guidance | IDPH
"1. As an alternative to door-to-door trick-or-treating, anyone who would like to distribute treats should leave individually wrapped candy or treats on a table, on their front walkways, sidewalks, or any outdoor space that allows for at least 6 feet of social distance from the door. The individually wrapped candy should be spread out so each piece is not touching another. Anyone distributing candy or treats should wash their hands properly for at least 20 seconds before placing the candy on the table and when replenishing.
2. All individuals participating in trick-or-treating, including those passing out candy should maintain social distance of least 6 feet and wear proper face coverings. A costume mask, such as those worn for Halloween, is not a substitute for a face covering. If face coverings are worn under costume masks, please ensure this does not create breathing problems, and if so, discard the costume mask.
3. Only household members should trick-or-treat together, and they should maintain 6-feet social distance from other trick-or-treaters at all times. Mixed household trick-or-treaters are discouraged.
4. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer should be carried and used frequently.
5. Candy collected during trick-or-treating should not be consumed until after handwashing. As always, a parent/guardian should check all candy to make sure it is wrapped and should discard unwrapped candy.
6. And, of course, practice good dental hygiene as well.
7. Outdoor areas are preferred for trick-or-treating. Enclosed indoor areas, like apartment buildings, present greater risk of transmission. Open doors and windows as appropriate to promote increased ventilation"

Some of the posters on here are planning to T or T with neighbors/close friends.

Just what do you think I am doing? I have not had any social gatherings with friends. I walk most every day with 1 or 2 other masked friends. We're adults and we socially distance as well.

We do takeout maybe 1 X a week at MOST. We go grocery shopping early in the mornings when the stores aren't crowded, and everyone is required to wear a mask. We started that pre-Covid so DH could get some exercise when he needed some assistance. He'd push the cart instead of taking his walker.

There are many days that I don't go anywhere except for the walk around my 'hood.

While you're at it, show me some peer-reviewed literature that says what I'm doing is even "moderate risk".

Regarding advocating for schools, I absolutely feel that it was the right decision for schools to open for in person even though being in them is higher risk then trick or treating. Many kids and teens are much better off being in school, in person, even with the masks and distancing. Just because my kid is struggling with it doesn’t change my thoughts or feelings about that. I would like them to be able to go without masks or distancing to be honest, even if it upped the risk of covid. Getting covid is not my biggest concern right now. Not even close.

Good for you that you feel entitled to walk with one or two non- household members per day. I would not care at all because I think talking with friends and walking outdoors are very healthy activities. I just find it incredibly hypocritical that you think it is so much safer then my two kids walking together and picking up candy. It’s not. Common sense is all you need to know that. Grocery shopping can be done via delivery, there is no real reason why you need to go in person and risk getting covid since you think any risk is not worth it. You can think whatever you want about trick or treating. Many people will participate no matter what the CDC says.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Many parents cannot work from home. We have elderly friends who babysit their grandkids while their parents have to work in person. "Essential services" job. They do not live in the same household, but are fortunate to have grandparents living nearby. Don't ask grandparents to come to your house for Thanksgiving or Holiday Dinners when they are babysitting your children in their homes while you work?

My daughter works a full time and part time job in person. Her wife also works. They are at their wits end trying to find a babysitter for their one year old son. Daughter asked me if I could go spend the weekends at their home to babysit. It is a 3 hour drive, or 4 and half hour by bus and train to another state, for me to get there. I ain't no Spring Chicken to do this every weekend. Besides which, my husband has a heart condition and Parkinson's. He falls down a lot, including one time while I was just grocery shopping for half an hour. I cannot leave him alone for any great length of time. I love my grandson, but my husband needs me to be around for his safety.

Count your blessings, parents, if you have grandparents who live nearby who can help with your children. As such do not deny them a Family Holiday Dinner with you just because of this virus and what the CDC says.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Regarding advocating for schools, I absolutely feel that it was the right decision for schools to open for in person even though being in them is higher risk then trick or treating. Many kids and teens are much better off being in school, in person, even with the masks and distancing. Just because my kid is struggling with it doesn’t change my thoughts or feelings about that. I would like them to be able to go without masks or distancing to be honest, even if it upped the risk of covid. Getting covid is not my biggest concern right now. Not even close.

Good for you that you feel entitled to walk with one or two non- household members per day. I would not care at all because I think talking with friends and walking outdoors are very healthy activities. I just find it incredibly hypocritical that you think it is so much safer then my two kids walking together and picking up candy. It’s not. Common sense is all you need to know that. Grocery shopping can be done via delivery, there is no real reason why you need to go in person and risk getting covid since you think any risk is not worth it. You can think whatever you want about trick or treating. Many people will participate no matter what the CDC says.
So you wouldn't care if you spread Covid all over the metro Denver area? Good to know. Some of the rest of us would like to avoid it, thank you very much.

Regarding my being "entitled"-LOL! Cute little microagression, from the poster who is always complaining about others being rude, attacking her, etc. And no, I need more than "common sense" (yours) to think T or T is safer than taking a walk with a friend, masked and distanced. You have no evidence, that much is clear.

I don't believe I ever said "any risk is not worth it", either.

People are going to have a hard time doing T or T if the householders are not handing out the treats. Some may go to the effort of the little bags on a table but others probably will not.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-08-2020 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So you wouldn't care if you spread Covid all over the metro Denver area? Good to know. Some of the rest of us would like to avoid it, thank you very much.

Regarding my being "entitled"-LOL! Cute little microagression, from the poster who is always complaining about others being rude, attacking her, etc. And no, I need more than "common sense" (yours) to think T or T is safer than taking a walk with a friend, masked and distanced. You have no evidence, that much is clear.

I don't believe I ever said "any risk is not worth it", either.

People are going to have a hard time doing T or T if the householders are not handing out the treats. Some may go to the effort of the little bags and so forth, but others probably will not.
You are highly unlikely to catch covid if you stay home and avoid walking with friends and grocery shopping in person. If you’re not even willing to protect yourself, why do you expect others give up everything to protect you?

Lol, indeed.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
You are highly unlikely to catch covid if you stay home and avoid walking with friends and grocery shopping in person. If you’re not even willing to protect yourself, why do you expect others give up everything to protect you?

Lol, indeed.
Come on, now. Give up everything? Really?

When you come right down to it, if you cannot go house to house, ringing doorbells, and saying, "Trick or treat!" while the neighbors pretend they do not know who you are in your cute costume, is it really Trick or Treat or is it just a candy grab?

Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

When you come right down to it, if you cannot go house to house, ringing doorbells, and saying, "Trick or treat!" while the neighbors pretend they do not know who you are in your cute costume, is it really Trick or Treat or is it just a candy grab?

You don’t get it.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

It's a whole lot better than nothing. They still get to go out in their costumes and collect candy. I loved ToT when I was a kid.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
@MissTerri-I'm not the one who's unconcerned about Covid.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's a whole lot better than nothing. They still get to go out in their costumes and collect candy. I loved ToT when I was a kid.
Exactly!

Old 10-08-2020, 09:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:

This has been an issue since COVID began. People chastising others for what they do, yet they take risks themselves. I have not set foot in a grocery store in a while. I have this delivery thing down pat. You can even make notes to your shopper like 'green bananas'. Or one that is a big deal to me 'choose a package of bacon with actual bacon in it'.

I don't care if people want to go to stores, I am not chastising for that at all, but it's not true that it is unavoidable. Texas has a company called Favor, who will go virtually anywhere to get virtually anything. Other markets, Doordash and UE are branching out to do the same.

drugstore, convenience store, smoke shop, pet store, whatever you want. On an Uber driver thread, I saw a pic of a dog by itself as the passenger. The pawrents sent him in an Uber to be groomed! Vets don't allow us inside anyway. I'm thinking of sending my cat by himself next time with that being the case.

On the other hand, all this delivery, people IN GENERAL are still getting exposed, spreading it. So it's not helping society at large, it's just relevant to individual risk.

Merely picking up take out food to go curbside creates societal risk. Employees must go and interact with each other and the public all day, definitely spreading it, in order to bring it 'safely' to your vehicle.

All of the wonderful things from grocery to meals to everything else I want and need coming to my door, contactless, is huge for my personal risk level, but the same for society as if I were going around collecting these things myself.

They are going into the grocery store in my stead. Or the restaurant or whatever.

If we are to get angry with people who take unnecessary risks, then anyone who gets togo food in any manner is on the list.

Unless one is very disabled, one can turn groceries into meals. In fact my mother was disabled and ate frozen meals often.

Anyone who orders anything from Amazon they don't absolutely NEED is on the list. It's pretty ridiculous. We are all going to take minor risks to continue living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.