Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:49 AM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You've elected a lot of liberal politicians. I think your "tide" is just a little wave.
That's obviously a generic "you." And it's certainly true that "we" have reaped what "we" have sown. However, that doesn't mean "we" haven't come to regret it.

Regardless of what you think, if your feet aren't on the ground here, you have no idea how many people are angry about the current state of affairs.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:06 PM

254 posts, read 281,227 times
Here's a sensible website that and one can look up what county they live in and it will tell you what Halloween related activities you can safely do that is in adherence with CDC guidelines. According to them, where I live, one can even safely go door to door Trick or Treating if certain safety measures are followed

Given the sponsors, there are some biases, but if bars in my area are allowed to have Halloween celebrations, I don't see why kids can't do some form of contactless treat or treating. For some reason, no one seems to be focused much on the CDC's "high risk activity" of consuming alcohol on Halloween.

https://www.halloween2020.org/

Old 10-14-2020, 03:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
For some reason, no one seems to be focused much on the CDC's "high risk activity" of consuming alcohol on Halloween.
Exactly.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's obviously a generic "you." And it's certainly true that "we" have reaped what "we" have sown. However, that doesn't mean "we" haven't come to regret it.

Regardless of what you think, if your feet aren't on the ground here, you have no idea how many people are angry about the current state of affairs.
Yes, it was a generic "you".

Quote:
Here's a sensible website that and one can look up what county they live in and it will tell you what Halloween related activities you can safely do that is in adherence with CDC guidelines. According to them, where I live, one can even safely go door to door Trick or Treating if certain safety measures are followed

Given the sponsors, there are some biases, but if bars in my area are allowed to have Halloween celebrations, I don't see why kids can't do some form of contactless treat or treating. For some reason, no one seems to be focused much on the CDC's "high risk activity" of consuming alcohol on Halloween.

Yes, that came across my news feed today. Hopefully, they will keep it up to date.

I don't get the emphasis some are putting on drinking. The CDC says in its own website that drinking often leads to risky behavior. Kids young enough to T or T are too young to drink. The drinking age in every state is 21. This is a parenting forum.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:

Wow according to this site, we are allowed to trick or treat too!!!

Thanks for posting. I was going to put candy out anyway but it's nice to know that it's pretty safe here

Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
no treats this year

Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM

254 posts, read 281,227 times
Quote:

Yes, that came across my news feed today. Hopefully, they will keep it up to date.

I don't get the emphasis some are putting on drinking. The CDC says in its own website that drinking often leads to risky behavior. Kids young enough to T or T are too young to drink. The drinking age in every state is 21. This is a parenting forum.
The website has a direct link to the Harvard Global Health Institute's Covid 19 tracker, so I suspect it will stay up to date.

My point in bringing up drinking is:

1. Both having an adult beverage (or possibly more) and Trick or Treating are activities parents of school age kids might engage in this Halloween.
2. Both are classified as "high risk" by the CDC.
3. How applicable the "high risk" designation is highly dependent on if the parent acts in a responsible manner or not. I would like to think most of us know not to drink to a point where it will lead to risky behavior along with knowing the temperament of our kids to where they won't be tempted to engage in risky behavior such as getting carried away with seeing other kids and not wanting to maintain social distancing.

There is a huge difference between have a beer vs get wasted. There is also a huge difference between visit a couple houses that are in your social bubble in an area with little spread vs hit up as many houses as possible all over town in an area where Covid cases are spiking. I think responsible parents can use their judgement to determine the level of risk they are personally facing and plan accordingly, and irresponsible parents don't care about the risk and will do whatever they want regardless of the CDC.

I don't know if this is your intention or not, but you are coming across as wanting to see Halloween canceled for everyone even though different areas of the country are a different levels of spread.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The website has a direct link to the Harvard Global Health Institute's Covid 19 tracker, so I suspect it will stay up to date.

My point in bringing up drinking is:

1. Both having an adult beverage (or possibly more) and Trick or Treating are activities parents of school age kids might engage in this Halloween.
2. Both are classified as "high risk" by the CDC.
3. How applicable the "high risk" designation is highly dependent on if the parent acts in a responsible manner or not. I would like to think most of us know not to drink to a point where it will lead to risky behavior along with knowing the temperament of our kids to where they won't be tempted to engage in risky behavior such as getting carried away with seeing other kids and not wanting to maintain social distancing.

There is a huge difference between have a beer vs get wasted. There is also a huge difference between visit a couple houses that are in your social bubble in an area with little spread vs hit up as many houses as possible all over town in an area where Covid cases are spiking. I think responsible parents can use their judgement to determine the level of risk they are personally facing and plan accordingly, and irresponsible parents don't care about the risk and will do whatever they want regardless of the CDC.

I don't know if this is your intention or not, but you are coming across as wanting to see Halloween canceled for everyone even though different areas of the country are a different levels of spread.
LOL! Yeah, "most of us know not to drink to a point where it will lead to risky behavior". (/s) That's why we don't need no stinkin' drunk driving laws, public intoxication laws, drunk and disorderly laws, etc. Don't need no alcohol rehab facilities/programs either. I am no teetotaler, but this emphasis on "responsible" drinking is bunk. Why should you be drinking if you're out walking around in the dark with little kids?

Both professionally and personally, it is my experience that people who are concerned with being able to drink, not to put too fine a point on it, drink. . . a lot.

For the nth + 1 time, I have posted nothing, absolutely nothing to support that statement. And it's more that people in different areas of the various states are in higher/lower risk situations. There are no states that have not been affected and rates are going up in every state now.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:42 PM

Here is an article that was in my local paper today. It's pretty much the same stuff as everywhere else, meaning the precautions are pretty universal.
https://www.dailycamera.com/2020/10/...gmont-boulder/
"With Colorado’s hospitalizations from the virus seeing their largest spike since May, Jill Hunsaker Ryan, executive director of the state health department, told the Denver Post this week that she was concerned that Halloween could lead to more infections due to more social mixing. Hunsaker Ryan said that Colorado is experiencing a third wave of the virus and that she worries that if it’s not curbed that people could spread the respiratory illness when visiting family during the holidays."

Old 10-15-2020, 10:21 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
LOL! Yeah, "most of us know not to drink to a point where it will lead to risky behavior". (/s) That's why we don't need no stinkin' drunk driving laws, public intoxication laws, drunk and disorderly laws, etc. Don't need no alcohol rehab facilities/programs either. I am no teetotaler, but this emphasis on "responsible" drinking is bunk. Why should you be drinking if you're out walking around in the dark with little kids?

Both professionally and personally, it is my experience that people who are concerned with being able to drink, not to put too fine a point on it, drink. . . a lot.

For the nth + 1 time, I have posted nothing, absolutely nothing to support that statement. And it's more that people in different areas of the various states are in higher/lower risk situations. There are no states that have not been affected and rates are going up in every state now.
TorT for young kids starts at 5/5:30 here and it's not dark. When my kids were younger, we always started around 6 or so, and it's not dark then either, and we always made it a point to be home by dark. I will be one of those adults that will be having a glass of wine this Halloween, but I plan to be sitting at the end of my driveway.

Bars are only open in my state at 30%, and outdoors only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting