Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:56 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

This has been going on since he was 2. While it has subsided somewhat, it seems he still whines & cries often instead of using his words to communicate. My nephew can talk well. Usually, he has these emotional meltdowns and whines when he doesn't get his way or his older sister is being mean to him. I know his parents spanks him or threaten him with a spanking when he gets into his crying mode and is upset about something. I think that just makes it worse as I've seem them do that.

I try to nip it in the bud which helps by telling him if he continues to cry and whine about something bc he didn't get his way, a time-out in his room will follow until he calms himself down.

His Grandma, my mom coddles him by over consoling him during his crying episodes listening to why he's upset and talking to him about the situation. I think that's just doing more harm than good especially when he's didn't get his way and is crying about it. So if we're at a family get together & he's upset. If someone tries to discipline him, my nephew runs to my mom knowing he can get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 04:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
How did I suspect HappyFarm was the OP based on the title, before even opening the thread? Honestly, every child can benefit from a coddling grandmother. On the other hand, you should not be disciplining your nephew by sending him to time out(or any other method) unless his parents have requested that you do so. Gently ask him to use his big boy words,and let his parents raise their child.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
This has been going on since he was 2. While it has subsided somewhat, it seems he still whines & cries often instead of using his words to communicate. My nephew can talk well. Usually, he has these emotional meltdowns and whines when he doesn't get his way or his older sister is being mean to him. I know his parents spanks him or threaten him with a spanking when he gets into his crying mode and is upset about something. I think that just makes it worse as I've seem them do that.

So, his older sister is mean to him, and his parents spank him.

Sounds like this family could benefit from some counseling.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How did I suspect HappyFarm was the OP based on the title, before even opening the thread? Honestly, every child can benefit from a coddling grandmother. On the other hand, you should not be disciplining your nephew by sending him to time out(or any other method) unless his parents have requested that you do so. Gently ask him to use his big boy words,and let his parents raise their child.
I do discipline him when I babysit. I’m not going just let the kids run loose doing whatever they want.

When his parents are around, the discipline of their children is their responsibility

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 06-28-2021 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 05:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
You used the example of a family get-together in your OP, now introducing a babysitting scenario. Either way, discuss with his parents how they want you to handle it (but definitely refuse to spank). He's a little boy, subject to frustrations, over-tiredness and teasing. If it really bothers you, bow out of the babysitting role. I always told my own three that I couldn't understand them if they used a whiny voice, then gave them a chance to calm down and try again.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You used the example of a family get-together in your OP, now introducing a babysitting scenario. Either way, discuss with his parents how they want you to handle it (but definitely refuse to spank). He's a little boy, subject to frustrations, over-tiredness and teasing. If it really bothers you, bow out of the babysitting role. I always told my own three that I couldn't understand them if they used a whiny voice, then gave them a chance to calm down and try again.
We don’t really discuss things when it comes to things like that. I agree, not to spank. If the parents do spank when he gets upset & cries at life’s disappointments, that’s on them. One thing I’ve noticed about them, they don’t always follow through on what they say which could be a reason why he stills cries & whines often.

I still don’t believe in coddling him and allowing him continue to cry & whine about something that didn’t go his way. He needs to learn control his emotions. As he goes to school, if he gets upset there, that will only causes other classmates to tease him and then avoid him.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:

I try to nip it in the bud which helps by telling him if he continues to cry and whine about something bc he didn't get his way, a time-out in his room will follow until he calms himself down.

His Grandma, my mom coddles him by over consoling him during his crying episodes listening to why he's upset and talking to him about the situation. I think that's just doing more harm than good especially when he's didn't get his way and is crying about it. So if we're at a family get together & he's upset. If someone tries to discipline him, my nephew runs to my mom knowing he can get away with it.

I don't think your mom trying to talk to him about why he's unhappy is a bad thing. Sounds like she's the only one willing to listen to him.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:16 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

His older sister is mean to him, but HE gets punished for becoming distressed about it? Are there any consequences for the sister? This is so wrong, OP! What would you and his parents prefer he do, in response to his sister's bullying: hit her? Or sit there, and passively take the abuse? Why is the sister allowed to chronically abuse her 4-yr-old brother? Why are people punishing him, instead of the sister?

The whole family sounds like they have issues, and are raising that poor 4-yr-old to have issues, too.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:20 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
You say he doesn't use his words, but he sits and tells grandma what's wrong?

So he IS using his words and communicating?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2021, 09:26 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
I still don’t believe in coddling him and allowing him continue to cry & whine about something that didn’t go his way. He needs to learn control his emotions. As he goes to school, if he gets upset there, that will only causes other classmates to tease him and then avoid him.
So much research has proven you wrong. He needs to be taught how to work through big feelings. Spanking him for having feelings he doesn't know how to manage is just teaching him to shut down, ignore, develop unhealthy coping mechanisms, etc.

ETA: Time-outs and spanking are the lazy parents' go-to. Not a judgement, as I've done time-outs myself when I was overwhelmed. But extra effort is needed to build and sustain healthy relationships and learn lifelong skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting