Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Again: I just gotta reply to ask a simple question:

Is the culture really THAT different? I mean people talk about how they are gonna raise their child "BLack or White". What does that mean? How can you raise a child black/white? Aint we all just humans...

Or is black = sports
and white = book smart?
Being a bi-racial (black/white) couple, I'd have to say that yes, there is a cultural difference, from food to the way we talk and they way we raise children. It's not a huge difference or something that gets in the way of our relationship and family, but there's definitely a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
I have cousins who are half Irish, 1/4 Chinese, and 1/4 Vietnamese... they know all aspects of their background. Just as I know I am 90% Irish, 5% English, and 5% German... I like knowing that... Some people don't care...but I do. It gives me a sense of where I came from. I took two trips to Ireland and I have been to England once. Do you see what I am getting at? I don't think it has anything to do with COLOR/RACE but history and background.... also I think it would be nice to grow up knowing who my FAMILY was. Just my two cents.... Good luck. I am sure this isn't easy for you......

Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Being a bi-racial (black/white) couple, I'd have to say that yes, there is a cultural difference, from food to the way we talk and they way we raise children. It's not a huge difference or something that gets in the way of our relationship and family, but there's definitely a difference.

i'm mixed (black & filipino) and my DH is white. growing up, i was exposed to both sides of my family because it was that important to my parents that i knew my heritage. i have a son now and he will be exposed to all sides of his heritage. yes, it's that important.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post

i'm mixed (black & filipino) and my DH is white. growing up, i was exposed to both sides of my family because it was that important to my parents that i knew my heritage. i have a son now and he will be exposed to all sides of his heritage. yes, it's that important.
I agree! And I have to say, my children are beautiful, being bi-racial. People literally come up to me out in public to tell me (theyre twins).

Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
Quote:
If that is true, you should raise your kids white.
Since blacks most likely fail. And let the racism whine begin.
But its true, blacks have higher dropout rate, crime etc etc.

Maybe its time to change the way kids are raised. Stop this white&Black bull**** and start raising kids normally.

In my opinion telling your kid they are 5% irish 90% african and 5% italian just confuses them.
They have identifdy crisis. They dont consider themselves as black or white, they dont fit in to either one ukno.

So keep it real folks, if his/her skincolor is BLACk, let it be, dont confuse him/her with saying stuff like, you are only HALF black.
If his/her skincolor is WHITE. let it be.dont confuse him/her saying stufff like your e only haelf whiet.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe its time to change the way kids are raised. Stop this white&Black bull**** and start raising kids normally.

In my opinion telling your kid they are 5% irish 90% african and 5% italian just confuses them.
They have identifdy crisis. They dont consider themselves as black or white, they dont fit in to either one ukno.

So keep it real folks, if his/her skincolor is BLACk, let it be, dont confuse him/her with saying stuff like, you are only HALF black.
If his/her skincolor is WHITE. let it be.dont confuse him/her saying stufff like your e only haelf whiet.
ok, so... what about if they are part chinese, part irish and part vietnamese? That isn't WHITE.... Why does it have to be black, white, brown, purple, green? When I look at my cousins I don't see a color.... I see a brilliance and energy! I see beauty.... I see my uncle's eyes and my aunts chin. I see my granmother's nose.... But teaching them their family history isn't confusing... it is HISTORY!!!! It is your FAMILY HISTORY... it is fact.. how is that cofusing? It is who you are. My cousins might be Half Irish but they are most proud to be Vietnamese... that is fine... they identify with it more because their mother is FROM VIETNAM. It makes sense... they are closer to that history. But their FATHER is Irish (100 % -FACT) and there is Irish family history there to share with his Vietnamese/Chinese/Irish children. Why wouldn't he want to share that history?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
my son is mixed and is pale, but i'm supposed to deny him his black & filipino heritage by referring to him as "white"?!? REALLY!?! that's where the confusion comes in.

i know you probably typed this stuff to get a rise out of folks (and you have truly worked my nerves), but it seems you're proud of your heritage--"finnishamerican"--why can't our kids be, too?

Last edited by thechappells; 02-26-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I've always been very aware that I'm 50% Danish, 25% Irish, and 25% French for as long as I can remember, and always enjoyed my grandmother's traditionial Danish Christmases and food, or hearing my French grandmother speak French to a friend. What the heck is wrong with understanding your ethnic makeup?

So if I let my children know that they're half black, that means they're more likely to fail? I'm not talking about raising them in "thug culture". On the black side of their family, most are college educated people with good jobs. Not the case on my side of the family as I was the first one to attend and graduate from college.

When I say there are cultural differences on both sides of their family, I don't mean some stereotype like on the white side, everyone is like the "Cleavers" and on the black side it's all "Snoop Dog". Far from it.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I've always been very aware that I'm 50% Danish, 25% Irish, and 25% French for as long as I can remember, and always enjoyed my grandmother's traditionial Danish Christmases and food, or hearing my French grandmother speak French to a friend. What the heck is wrong with understanding your ethnic makeup?

So if I let my children know that they're half black, that means they're more likely to fail? I'm not talking about raising them in "thug culture". On the black side of their family, most are college educated people with good jobs. Not the case on my side of the family as I was the first one to attend and graduate from college.

When I say there are cultural differences on both sides of their family, I don't mean some stereotype like on the white side, everyone is like the "Cleavers" and on the black side it's all "Snoop Dog". Far from it.
well said... you sound like a great parent who is raising well rounded educated INDIVIDUALS Good Job!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
well said... you sound like a great parent who is raising well rounded educated INDIVIDUALS Good Job!
Thanks! We have two other sets of bi-racial (black/white) twins about their age in our neighborhood, plus several others that are bi-racial with other ethnicities, so they fit in well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting