Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 06:35 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm most certainly not going to give up on my family.

We can and do have separate vacations. Youngest went to Ireland with me for a week before Covid and we did just fine together.

Oldest has been working at a summer camp for 6 years in a row (minus one year for covid) and is therefore unavailable to go on vacations. Twice I went to visit her at camp and both times she was sick and exhausted and too tired to do anything fun. This is all by her choice. she is unsure about returning to camp this summer as she is a bit burned out on it and has missed out on so much family time as a result. She just doesn't seem to know how to find a balance between burning the candle at both ends at work and enjoying her down time.

Oldest has invited me to chaperone a school trip to London next year and I'm taking her up on it. The trip is highly structured so there will be no chances for us to disagree on what to do next. I will have some time on my own while the students are in workshops but I will be able to be a helpful chaperone most of the time. I think that will be a good trip for us.

I am taking youngest to Italy as soon as covid allows.

We have no other plans to vacation together on the horizon but I'm never going to stop trying to keep my little family together.

Hmmm, this response was in response to someone suggesting you vacation separately, not never see your kids. This response has sort of a panicked tone.

I wonder if you're focusing on the wrong things. It sounds like you want the 3 of you together for YOU, not because it's a good idea for the family unit or them. It fills some need for you to call together.

On this most recent trip, your daughters are old enough that if one wants to sleep in, you can leave her behind while you and the other one do your adventures. I don't know why the one whining about sandals couldn't get an Uber to go to Walmart if she felt like you weren't picking up the hint.

You don't need to be worrying about empathy and you don't need to be crying. Instead provide logical, practical advice to help them get through the moment.

Don't make them be together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 07:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Bottom line: adults are allowed to make their own decisions and choose their own friends. Accept this fact.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:59 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Bottom line: adults are allowed to make their own decisions and choose their own friends. Accept this fact.
And as adults, we can decide if our family is our friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting