Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 10:44 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell: my husband planned a surprise (I'm not supposed to know about this) birthday dinner/experience for me and one of my adult son's (Jon) is not coming. My husband and the other adult kids are now upset with Jon.

In our family, birthday dinners are a thing. Everyone gets a birthday dinner at their favorite restaurant. We've done this since the kids were born. We change our plans, we get off work, we all go. The vegan has gone to a steak house. That's how serious this is.

Jon isn't going to mine because he said he has plans. He didn't share what they were.

Now my husband and the other kids are giving Jon a hard time bc they feel he should be there. Period. Jon did contribute to the cost of this dinner and bought me a birthday gift.

FWIW, Jon is my oldest and the only one who lives on his own. He's working hard to build his own life and I 1000% support this.

I really don't know what to think. Jon and I have a good relationship. He visits me every week and we have dinner together and hang out together. He seems to respect my opinion and I think we're okay.

Any opinions or advice? I was thinking I will talk to Jon and just ask if there's a bigger issue (for example, is he angry with me for something?) The dinner doesn't matter nearly so much to me as my relationship with him. I'm working really hard to have a respectful adult relationship with my son.

Is this that a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 11:19 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
In our family, birthday dinners are a thing. Everyone gets a birthday dinner at their favorite restaurant. We've done this since the kids were born. We change our plans, we get off work, we all go. The vegan has gone to a steak house. That's how serious this is.

Jon isn't going to mine because he said he has plans. He didn't share what they were.
You say that it is a thing and that you change plans. He has plans he's not changing.

I can see both sides, but if everyone has been raised with an expectation that this is a THING that you make room for, then I don't understand why this is different.

ETA: The fact that others are upset about the dinner thing is separate from your "working really hard" to have a good adult relationship with your son. What's that all about?

Last edited by gus2; 05-13-2022 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
You say that it is a thing and that you change plans. He has plans he's not changing.

I can see both sides, but if everyone has been raised with an expectation that this is a THING that you make room for, then I don't understand why this is different.

ETA: The fact that others are upset about the dinner thing is separate from your "working really hard" to have a good adult relationship with your son. What's that all about?
Nobody understands why this is different. I trust he has a good reason. Who knows, maybe the birthday thing is coming to a natural end.

Re the "working really hard"----eh, just that I'm not going to guilt him into going to my birthday dinner. I don't want to pull out the parent card. Its weird to see your kid as an adult and I've been working on accepting him for who he is and respecting his choices..

Old 05-13-2022, 12:26 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
It's clearly a big deal for your husband and other children (and possibly even for Jon). Hopefully this won't create a rift and ruin relationships.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:59 PM

197 posts, read 154,566 times
I see that you said you have a really good relationship, but I do not understand why you(women especially) think he may be mad at you for some reason. I am a woman and for some unknown reason if someone cannot do something like get together why do we think they are mad a t us? I never think that, but so many women do, anyway, I think if he has plans and does not want to go, that is up to him. Maybe you two can go to a nice dinner another day, family should not be upset with him, but since it has been a long tradition, I can sorta see their point, this is a tough one!

Old 05-13-2022, 01:04 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Birthday dinners being a 'thing' is a tradition for you and your husband (I get it, we do the same) however now that your oldest is on his own it may be a tradition he doesn't wish to continue. Maybe he feels like he's grown out of that. It's disappointing when our kids don't continue traditions we started or continued from our own parents, but I don't think it's at all uncommon.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:41 AM

700 posts, read 447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Birthday dinners being a 'thing' is a tradition for you and your husband (I get it, we do the same) however now that your oldest is on his own it may be a tradition he doesn't wish to continue. Maybe he feels like he's grown out of that. It's disappointing when our kids don't continue traditions we started or continued from our own parents, but I don't think it's at all uncommon.
Quote:
Nobody understands why this is different. I trust he has a good reason. Who knows, maybe the birthday thing is coming to a natural end.
My thoughts as well.

The thing about traditions is...if they go on too long, they just prevent other traditions from taking root and then soon enough there are NO traditions.

I have 2 kids and all four of the grandparents are still alive. So what...so we need to wait til they die to have our own with our kids? People live longer now, that probably means by then our own kids have moved on a little.

My in-laws are the type that insist on traditions being kept and every year that goes on I can sense the resentment in some of their other kids.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:09 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Interesting that your first thought was to look to yourself for the reason, especially since you were confident about your relationship.
This strikes me as him wanting to switch up the family dynamic. The fact that others are so offended is telling.
Why do you think he wasn’t more forthcoming with the details of why he was unavailable? That too strikes me as odd, like he doesn’t want to be judged.
Maybe I’m projecting, but it’s what I’d think about.
As the matriarch, I’d want to dig a little deeper. If for no other reason, than to run interference for a potentially escalating issue.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Remember back to when you were about 20 years old. Did YOU want to go out to dinner with your family? If you did, I think you're in the minority.

It's normal for young adults to want to be independent and break away from their parents. I wouldn't take it personally.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:18 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
Quote:
Jon and I have a good relationship. He visits me every week and we have dinner together and hang out together.
I would not make a big deal out of him having other plans. He visits you every week. That's... a lot especially if he's getting his adult life established. I used to visit my parents weekly when I first moved away from home. Now I call them weekly, but we probably get together every 1-2 months.

I would resist the urge to make a big thing about this with Jon even if that is what the rest of the family is suggesting. The birthday dinners may remain a great tradition! Or, they may become a modified tradition where you combine birthdays and celebrate 2-3 people who have birthdays close together for one big dinner once Jon and his siblings get busy with spouses and children of their own and new traditions in their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting