Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:57 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,376 times

Advertisements

My son is 6 and I have him in t-ball/baseball. We practice together and when he actually tries and doesn't fool around he shows a lot of potential. He's just a little immature and has a hard time focusing for long periods of time. He says he likes it so I have him on a local little league team. However, he has sensitivities and social anxiety and basically will shut down at times. Maybe he just doesn't like team sports and I'm OK with that and will continue to see what else he can try. Or maybe he's just not "ready" for team sports yet. The issue is - and I'm sure some of you can relate - nowadays if you don't have your kid in a "team sport" early they will fall way behind. It's so competitive nowadays. I see 6/7 year olds in all sports going to private instructors, travel teams, etc. It's crazy. I'm afraid in 3-5 years he's going to get into it more and be "ready", but will be just so far behind.

I remember growing up there were a lot of kids that didn't start baseball or other sports until they were 8 or 9 and could gradually catch up. Now, I don't think that's the case.

What are everyone's thoughts on these parents pushing 5, 6, 7 year olds to be future pros? Seems to be more and more common , which is unfortunately closing the gap on older kids joining a sport in the future. I'm of the mindset to let kids be kids and when they're ready to play something and have fun I will assist in that. But, if they are involved they must finish that season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 10:03 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,200 times
Fall "so far behind" what exactly? Do you actually think your 6yo can and wants to be a pro baseball player?

Sounds like this is more of a you problem.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:13 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,853 times
What you’re saying is true, at least where I live. However, what is your goal for your kid in playing a team sport? It it’s to learn teamwork, have fun and improve his skills, it doesn’t matter when he starts. If it’s to get a college scholarship or play pro, you’re probably fooling yourself, as are all the parents pouring money into a ten year old’s pitching arm.

Usually there are rec league teams also, for families who don’t want or can’t make the commitment to travel or more competitive leagues.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I coached soccer for 12 years, and several years each T-ball, little league and girls softball. I was always surprised at how many parents wee trying to get their 8-10 year-old ready to get a full athletic scholarship to the college of their choice. The worst was in under-10 girls when a pitcher was getting professional coaching at a cost of $250/month (this was in California).
When she was warming up before the game the opposing team batters would cry, they were so scared at the speed, so fast that the catcher couldn't stop them.

As for our 3 kids, we never pushed any of them at all, but if they asked to play a sport, they had to finish the season even if they didn't like it. The oldest did soccer up to select, then in high school switched to tennis.

The next did soccer for 5 years, T-ball one year and disliked it, nothing after that.

The youngest did soccer 3 years and softball 2 years in Jr., nothing after that.

Our grandson does Soccer, Baseball, and ultimate frisbee.

Sports are good for social and physical development but are not for everyone. There are other activities in many places, such as robotics, chess, and scouts, plus some artistic activities/classes such as pottery, sculpture, painting, music and dance.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:36 AM

16,322 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Many kids start playing sports in kindergarten or even before that. Some kids have been reading or playing piano since they were 2...every kid is different.

If a kid doesn't start playing a sport until like 3rd or 4th grade yes they will have some catching up to do if they other kids have been doing it since kindergarten. There are also town sports and club sports. It can be overwhelming for parents to decide...but not all kids are going to be athletic. I wasn't, my husband was.

I also think some parents kept kids out of sports because of covid. Those kids may never get that into sports. My son was supposed to play lacrosse then covid hit and it was cancelled. We've never signed him up again because he's become too busy with other things..

Old 03-23-2022, 10:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
I can see where you are coming from OP. I have friends who put their kids into travel leagues starting in 1st grade, but most areas have travel and more traditional rec leagues. Not everyone has the time, money, or interest in having their children in a travel league.

The competition for those athletic scholarships is intense, but if you think about the money that parents end up spending, it often comes out in the negative if the child starts in first grade and is traveling from then through HS.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Fall "so far behind" what exactly? Do you actually think your 6yo can and wants to be a pro baseball player?

Sounds like this is more of a you problem.
No - I don't want him to get into it at age 8-10 and feel like he can't keep up with kids that have had private trainers since age 5. yes this is occurring.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I can see where you are coming from OP. I have friends who put their kids into travel leagues starting in 1st grade, but most areas have travel and more traditional rec leagues. Not everyone has the time, money, or interest in having their children in a travel league.

The competition for those athletic scholarships is intense, but if you think about the money that parents end up spending, it often comes out in the negative if the child starts in first grade and is traveling from then through HS.
Agreed. I'm not worried about sports "scholarships or pro". I just don't want him to feel left out because he's facing kids that have had private instruction since age 5. I see this in my little league (i live in a very big sports area). A lot of the kids in my little league go on to get private middle school/high school scholarships for sports.

I think the solution is focus more on the "rec leagues" as others have stated. And let him choose/develop on his own within sports. If he chooses to do so. otherwise continue to find things he may be truly interested in. He likes sports, he's just a little shy in the group activities area.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
My son is 6 and I have him in t-ball/baseball. We practice together and when he actually tries and doesn't fool around he shows a lot of potential. He's just a little immature and has a hard time focusing for long periods of time. He says he likes it so I have him on a local little league team. However, he has sensitivities and social anxiety and basically will shut down at times. Maybe he just doesn't like team sports and I'm OK with that and will continue to see what else he can try. Or maybe he's just not "ready" for team sports yet. The issue is - and I'm sure some of you can relate - nowadays if you don't have your kid in a "team sport" early they will fall way behind. It's so competitive nowadays. I see 6/7 year olds in all sports going to private instructors, travel teams, etc. It's crazy. I'm afraid in 3-5 years he's going to get into it more and be "ready", but will be just so far behind.

I remember growing up there were a lot of kids that didn't start baseball or other sports until they were 8 or 9 and could gradually catch up. Now, I don't think that's the case.

What are everyone's thoughts on these parents pushing 5, 6, 7 year olds to be future pros? Seems to be more and more common , which is unfortunately closing the gap on older kids joining a sport in the future. I'm of the mindset to let kids be kids and when they're ready to play something and have fun I will assist in that. But, if they are involved they must finish that season.
I raised three kids who played sports and now have grandchildren starting to play. you are correct that it is more competitive today with parent starting their children younger and doing things like sports camps and private tutors. My son, who is my oldest, was not a natural athlete in elementary school. We had him playing soccer, baseball, swimming, and basketball. He told me I tried too hard to make him good at sports.

I eventually backed off and he continued playing soccer in high school and pickup games in medical school.

My daughters were more athletic, especially the one who set track records, and played basketball in college.

You are better off to get them involved early, and provide the opportunities in different sports. They will thank you in later years. You can only push so hard until you turn them off. It can be difficult to catch up later except in sports like football where size is most important.

What I have seen happen is many of the best athletes in the early years do not get better, and some are later bloomers who get bigger and better later on. This is more true with boys than girls.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post

Fall behind in team sports? If the idea is for the child to have fun, what does it matter? Sure, there are super competitive private teams, and sure, your kid might not ever qualify for THAT...but there's always the city teams, that most kids can sign up with through school...and if your child decides he likes team sports, he learns all the good things about team building and working together, that he would've learned on an elite team, right?

Is your son an only child? Seems like, to me, only children take a little longer to 'adjust' to team sports, cause the idea of sharing and coordinating with other people is kind of foreign to them. And...that's assuming he's even going to be athletic. Who knows, he might be musically inclined instead, or want to build robots on robot teams.

If you seriously are OK with him NOT necessarily liking it, I would make it very clear to him that it's OK with YOU, if it's not his thing, and doesn't want to do it. He might be saying he likes it because he doesn't want to dissapoint his dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting