Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times

Advertisements

to drop their kids like a hot potato the day they turn 18 or graduate from high school?

I just really don't get this and would love for someone to give me a logical explanation. Just because a kid turns 18 does not mean he/she is ready or able to take care of themselves financially. Someone still has to pay to feed them, clothe them, give them insurance coverage and pay those high deductibles. Not to mention the high cost of college, which many moms are left trying to figure out how to cover, or help cover, without dear old dad offering one cent of help.

I believe only 3 states have a law requiring both parents in divorce situations to contribute to college costs in certain situations, but I guess kids in all other 47 states are just SOL if dad won't just do the right thing on his own. (Hey, I know some custodial dads probably have this problem with mom not helping - but come on, we all know the majority of times it's the dad walking away financially).

I just really don't get this - how do dad's that do it justify it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,182 times
I don't know how fathers justify half the things they do. It's like they truly don't know what it takes to raise an independent, emotionally-balanced child in the world. Or frankly, they don't care.

It sickens me because their children pay for their immaturity and ignorance.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Jeez. The first sentence and most of the paragraph explained my father completely.. except he was the custodial parent!

I think the ideal is hereditary. If your father was "kicked to the streets" when he was 18, he'll most likely tell you "I did it, so can you."

Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,962 times
I am dealing with this same issue. My oldest just finished his freshman year without one red cent from Dad. In fact my ex is asking for a reduction in child support because he is past 18. (we still have a 16 year old). I asked my ex just where my reduction in expenses were? He may be 18 and away at college but I am still feeding, clothing, insuring him and now I have tuition on top of that! Plus my ex HAS the money. Far more than I have. I could go on all day....

Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I'm not surprised. Women are the nurturing parent and the menfolk tend to be the ones to be the "bad cop", rule enforcer and the breadwinner. As a dad, they think that they are showing good tough love by making their kids leave the nest at 18 and facilitating them turning into full fledged adults. They probably also tired of trying to make enough money to run the household well (I think that colleges got way too expensive in the last few decades). And these husbands also can't wait to see their kids leave so that their wives can devote 100% of their attention back to them.

I only have dogs, but there is a huge difference between the way I treat them and the way my live-in boyfriend does. And I know that he's very fond of them.

Men and women are just wired up differently.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
I am a father and I would never do anything like that. In fact my wife and I agree that when the boy gets married or wants to get married if he can't afford to live on his own he and his wife will live with us.

I should also say my father never kicked me out or stopped paying/helping me when i turned 18.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
I'm curious, for those of you that divorced their husbands for reasons other than being a punching bag that had kids with him and you weren't loaded, do you take any responsibility for trying to run two households on an average income?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm curious, for those of you that divorced their husbands for reasons other than being a punching bag that had kids with him and you weren't loaded, do you take any responsibility for trying to run two households on an average income?
Those days are pretty much long gone - alimony is practically a thing of the past these days. Most men are only ordered to pay child support -and those amounts hardly compare to the costs of running two households. It is only women with very young children and very good lawyers that get even close to what it takes to keep a child housed, fed and clothed.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm not surprised. Women are the nurturing parent and the menfolk tend to be the ones to be the "bad cop", rule enforcer and the breadwinner. As a dad, they think that they are showing good tough love by making their kids leave the nest at 18 and facilitating them turning into full fledged adults. They probably also tired of trying to make enough money to run the household well (I think that colleges got way too expensive in the last few decades). And these husbands also can't wait to see their kids leave so that their wives can devote 100% of their attention back to them.

I only have dogs, but there is a huge difference between the way I treat them and the way my live-in boyfriend does. And I know that he's very fond of them.

Men and women are just wired up differently.

I do agree men and women are wired differently, LOL! Usually this is a good thing What bothers me is the way men seem to allow the new women in their lives to convince them that that prior obligation they felt to support their child attending college is no longer really necessary. So much seems to change when daddy gets a new wife

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
you are so right. there is a real kidult & permaparent problem.
when we start saying how can i do it and stop saying you owe me,
it will go away.
my 2 favorite solutions are US army and RN program.
without student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting